1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC No audio device is found.. Solved kind of.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bulldogjeff, 31 Jul 2015.

1. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I have just put a new build together and constantly get the error "no audio device is found. I have tried all the usual things. Reinstalled drivers updated enable disable etc. I am now at the point where I have run out of ideas. I done the W10 upgrade and didn't notice the X on the speaker icon, tried to trouble shot it there to no avail, so rolled back to W7 and still no joy. Any Ideas guys..

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2015
  2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is it showing up in device manager?

3. bulldogjeff

It's showing a Nvidia one not the realtek one on the mobo install disc.

I have deleted them all reinstalled and still no joy.

I am wondering if a full reinstall of windows might work, but that means all the updates and then eventually being able to do the W10 upgrade again

4. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Have you checked the mobo makers site for a newer version of the realtek drivers for your specific chipset

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If it's not showing in device manager it probably won't be a driver issue, have you checked the BIOS settings in case it somehow disabled the onboard sound?

6. bulldogjeff

Yeah tried that one. It installs and then nothing. Its says its there, says it's working, but clearly isn't.

Tried that as well.

Tried just about everything I can think of. I don't have the option of a sound card either because the GPU takes up to much space. Plus opening up the side panel would be a complete nightmare due to the way the water cooling loop is set up.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I'd probably get a USB sound card tingy

Hi Jeff

8. bulldogjeff

Ive actually got a very old external sound blaster, was brilliant in it's day, but I doubt if there is even w7 drivers for it let alone W10. I did think about using that earlier. It may be worth ago. nothing to loose.. a midia rig with no sound is about as much use as a chimney pot on your dog.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Does it show as a hidden device? Device manager > View > Show hidden devices

If it still doesn't show up it's either not enabled in the BIOS settings, or less likely is the on board sound has given up the ghost, although for Windows not to detect anything is rare (afaik) as it would normally find something all be it a not working something.

10. bulldogjeff

No, I have checked that already and it's not there. It shows up in installed programs and if I go into C drive and prog files its in there as well. But the realtech driver is not showing at all in device manager.

As a long shot I copied the drivers on to a usb stick and tried it that way, it installed just fine but still the same. It's almost as if device manger has chosen to ignore it.

11. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

What board mate?

Do you know if it was working prior to the Windows 10 upgrade? You may well have to do a Full Reinstall just to find out whether the install messed something out.

Hate when such things happen...

12. bulldogjeff

It's an Asus M5A-78LME. I didn't look to check before upgrading, it was a new build and fresh install. I literally done all the updates with thee intention of going straight to W10 and using it as a media rig.

I was thinking of putting a partition in and doing a fresh install just in
    case windows has corrupted some how.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If it's not showing or is disabled in the BIOS settings then no amount of installing drivers is going to fix it, what is listed in the BIOS setting of onboard device configuration > HDAudio Controller?

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Are there speakers plugged in? Sounds a stupid question, but I've noticed recently on a few Win 7 machines that it'll say no audio device when no speakers are connected, but then with some plugged in, it all seems to work.

15. bulldogjeff

I've checked all that. Disabled it and enabled it, defaulted the bios. It just stays the same.
    I am starting to think it's some how related to the speaker jacks because everything is as it should be.

I ve got them plugged in, tried the head phone jack on the front just in case and different speakers even though I know they're good.

I've just tried reinstalling and that didn't work, even tried disconnecting the front audio jack and still nothing.

Starting to think the mobo is knackered now.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2015
  16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Isn't that the 2nd mobo?

17. bulldogjeff

No that one is fine. It was me being a Noob. It was AM3 rather than AM3+ and not bulldozer compatible.:wallbash:

That one may well go back in if I get another 1100T or a 965 for it.

18. bulldogjeff

So I've been having a little google and it seems that in some cases the GPU takes over and wants to output via HDMI which would tally up with the device manager showing a HDMI connection.

So now the million dollar question is how the hell do I get the normal realtek driver to take over.

Even deleting the Nvidia drivers doesn't seen to work.

Any ideas chaps?

19. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

If you right click on the speaker icon in taskbar, and open playback devices. Is there anything listed in there?
    Right click "show disconnected devices" or "show disabled devices" change anything?

I remember having to do something in there years back for CoD4 to get sound working due to some conflict. Perhaps if the hdmi sound ouput is in there you could disable it in there?

20. bulldogjeff

If i click that all I get is no head phones or speakers connected. In device manage I get 4 HDMI connections, it refuses to show the normal speakers.

What I am going to try is disabling them all and the HD in the bios and enable AC97 and see what that does, one of the only things I can think of that I haven't tried yet.