1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8 upgrade programme leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 15 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

No thanks.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh shove it MS.

4. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

It's Vista all over again -.-

5. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

ditto, ditto and ditto

6. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

Meh, first they'll have to make Windows 8 be something I care about

7. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

My spider senses indicate there is a fair bit of negativity here...

Admittedly, as much as I like Windows 8, I'll be most likely waiting for Windows 9 to be released before my next upgrade, so that MS has time to respond to feedback and fix any potential compatibility issues (not that I've had any on the preview version). However, this doesn't detract from the fact that $15 is a pretty good price for an upgrade, especially when you take into account the usual price for a pro copy of Windows and that the upgrade is potentially going to allow a jump from Windows 7 Home Basic to Windows 8 Pro.

At the end of the day, nobody is holding a gun to your head asking you to upgrade. For some people, this deal will be helpful, for others it won't.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Did you miss the part where you have to buy a new pc with win 7 to get the voucher to upgrade.

So anyone who already has win 7 has to pay full price.

If I was buying a new pc I would expect it to have the latest OS and not have to pay extra to get it, this is just to help stores sell older pc's that come with win 7.

9. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I hope it fails and metro is never seen on the desktop again.

10. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Not at all. But I'd imagine Win7 Home Basic + $15 is still going to work out a lot cheaper than buying Win8 Pro on it's own.

EDIT - Also, I'll add that some people who need to replace a PC over the next few months may not be able to wait for the Win8 release date. The upgrade is a nice option to have, whether it gets taken up or not.

11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

You've missed the point Broxy.

The upgrade off is only for NEW PC's....it's not for anybody on Windows 7 or anybody that goes out and buys windows 7.

The offer replaces the last offer, which was new PC's with VISTA get a FREE upgrade to 7.
    Now new pc's bought with 7 get a £10 upgrade to 8.

There aren't really any positives.

12. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

No Brooxy, it's Win7 Home Basic + $15 + New Prebuilt Computer

EDIT: Ninja'ed - not meaning to bombard :)

13. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

This is exactly the same as it has always been. Try to prevent people from holding off hardware purchases pre Windows 8 by giving them cheap upgrades if they buy Windows 7 kit.

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I bet I won't.

15. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Yup and as I stated, it's a nice option for those that have no choice but to buy a PC during the time that the deal is on. They'll already be getting a PC, so the cost of the computer itself isn't really an issue. ;)

16. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Nice offer for those who will actually need to use this but for me I am sticking to Window's 7 simply because of the Metro interface, if i want a tablet styled OS I will buy a tablet.

Win 7 works fine for me so I will stick with that unless MS decide to make a version of Win 8 without the Metro.

17. Technobod

Technobod Minimodder

They need to make it useable as a desktop OS and it needs to have serious advantages over 7 Pro to even get me to consider it. Currently seems like an overly gimicky tablet OS they're trying to shove to the desktop market with the 'higher number is better' argument in my opinion.

18. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

About the only positive is IF you are planning on buying a new PC with Win 7 Home Basic, by the old system if you wanted Windows 8 Pro you'd have to pay full whack, whereas now you can get it for $15.

But that's it: it's a very specific situation that I can't imagine will apply to a single person here to be honest.

19. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

Headline is misleading on the article it is not the upgrade programme pricing at all. It is the if you buy old stock computers you get to pay for an upgrade. It is designed to make Microsoft more money on the sale of older hardware.

When real upgrade pricing is out then i might be more impressed but given that I can see no compelling reason to upgrade my win7 desktop or my vista laptop (and god forbid what it would do to our netboook) I will stay as I am unless the upgrade is cheap (as in free pretty much)

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not misleading at all: it's the (rumoured) pricing for the upgrade programme, not the upgrade editions.

Tags: Add Tags