1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus P8Z68-V/GEN 3 SLI CRASH.....

Discussion in 'ASUS' started by feathers, 7 Dec 2011.

1. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Yup,

I've been using an SLI setup consisting 2 x MSI 560Ti Twin Frozr II OC 880mhz GPU on EVGA P55 Cheesecake 657 for many months without issue. I have upgraded my system to Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 and the SLI crashes Nvidia driver as soon as activated.

Tried 3 installs of windows 7 x64. Pre SP1 and SP1. Tried new install of windows 7.

Latest Nvidia drivers. Beta....

Latest windows updates...

It crashes as soon as I activate SLI. Nvidia driver crashes then I have to reinstall the driver.

SLI is detected ok in windows. It is just activating it that causes the Nvidia driver crash.

In other words.. I can't use SLI.

I am using the same PSU I used with the same SLI GPU's on my EVGA... All that has changed is the motherboard and CPU.

Asus Taiwan sent back an email with a link to bios update.. The bios was for another board. Apparently Stacey at Asus Taiwan doesn't know the difference between P8Z68-V and the GEN3 version.

So I am forced to consider the following...

1: Sell my 2nd GPU and have 1 x 560Ti.

2: Sell both and buy a 580 (will be slower).

3: Sell the Asus mobo and get an MSI then I'd have MSI SLI on MSI motherboard.

4: Wait and see if Asus ever release bios fix for SLI

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Re: Gen 3 board
    It's WORKING!!!!!

I had tried everything except one last thing...

Clue was in this forum link...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1151913/n...n-enabling-sli

I'd heard someone mention it as a fix on another forum but I doubted it.

I downloaded a genuine windows 7 home premium x64 from microsoft, burned to DVD, installed, installed Asus mobo drivers, then latest Nvidia driver (not Beta), enabled SLI and this time instead of crash... ENABLED!

So, let this be a lesson to you to stop using hacked windows....