1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mesh Computers in administration

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 1 Jun 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

My first PC was a Mesh.

I've hated them ever since.

3. Ferrero94

Ferrero94 What's a Dremel?

^ lol why?

4. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

My father in law bought a mesh pc years ago. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened up the side panel and saw that all the components were really good.

5. mobius

mobius What's a Dremel?

Agree with Mankz. My parents bought a Mesh and I spent almost a year chasing up issues all stemming from a burnt out graphics card (i.e. PC always came back in an even worse state, on site warranty wasn't even upheld by them). Without exaggeration they were the worst company I had ever dealt with from customer support point of view.

6. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Surprised it took this long to be honest. Margins will have been non-existant, and hard to see what value they were adding to the consumer, particularly as prices plummet into appliance territory. Sad to see them go, but the computing world is a very different place from when they started...

7. dactone

dactone dact-one

my parents had a mesh utter rubbish ,maybe that's why there failing..

8. mobius

mobius What's a Dremel?

I once had parent's Mesh returned covered in (what I assume was) coffee. Still didn't work either. Then a few weeks later they appeared on BBC Watchdog because their CS was so bad.

9. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

No great lose! Didnt they go bust once before?

10. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

My experience with them is very old now, probably 10 - 13 years or so, but they were quite decent back then.

Shame to see one of the last British system builders of note go tits up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

XP Pro x64. That's how.

12. balatro2005

balatro2005 Minimodder

My first ever Pc I bought was from them. Remember it had a small issue that the cpu fan fail came up after every cold boot. restart and it was fine. That was about 8 years ago though.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

+1, my initial thoughts were 'again?'

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

It's not surprising. When you can buy a laptop in Tescos for £2-300, why on earth would you buy a full-blown (read: more expensive) PC from someone like Mesh?

I teach IT to adults, and it's staggering how many people who come on courses because they were bought cheap laptops by their families for Christmas but don't know how to use them.

Laptops have become commoditised.

15. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I had a Mesh laptop,
    No complaints, think i paid about £600 for it in 05/06
    Still going strong to my knowledge.

16. xela333

xela333 What's a Dremel?

Used to shop with Mesh but over the last 5 years they had became awful to deal with. I shop with Novatech now and they seem to build their own PC's and laptops which I have found to be excellant.

17. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

My last PC from Mesh was a 1.3Ghz CPU with a Geforce 2Ultra (I think).. was about 11 years ago now ! No idea what I did with it when it was time to retire it. It was Beige lol !!!

It was decent enough and lasted, but then I learnt how to build them myself and never looked at buying from them again. My biggest beef with them was that it took ages to build and deliver!

Sad they are gone, but the writing is on the wall for UK PC manufacturers.... companies in China etc who pay their staff 5p an hour have become the world's factories now.

Incidentally there is an article in the 'July' issue of PC PRO about why UK PC Manufacturers are still the best. I noticed then that Mesh was strangely absent from the article... not one mention.

18. loftie

loftie Multimodder

But did you not choose to buy it with XP 64bit?

19. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Good riddance, bunch of crooks.

Bought a new HTPC and got a used unit. Got it replaced (But had to go to MESH head office to get it), but this was even worse, it even had the delivery note from it being a magazine review unit still in the box.

I eventually got a brand new unit direct from ASUS (Another trip to a different UK head office).

20. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

A sign of the times for another uk independant pc builder, thing is with the internet/you tube and even custom pc magazine, everyone is a PC builder, its not hard to learn how, not as complicated as it use to be....so there is little demand for independant builders..and if someone does not have the confidence to build there own, they will buy from branded high street retailer...

Tags: Add Tags