Build Advice Bundle choice or new build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eddieboi, 12 May 2015.

1. Eddieboi

Eddieboi What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting this bundle to replace my current original i7 920 and sabertooth x58 board.

Or would I be better getting something alternative?

I currently have a asus 3gb H7970 gpu and a 256gb Samsung 840 basic SSD as my main storage for the OS.

Play games like swtor, sto, total war etc etc.

Also was thinking about getting the cosmos 2 case but concerned that hydro 100 CPU cooler won't fit in the top of the cosmos II as I didn't see it listed in the CPU coolers that would fit.

Or I could go down the route of a complete new PC but I'd have to get that on finance.

Last edited by a moderator: 12 May 2015
  2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

If it's just for gaming then I'd suggest saving some (read: a lot of) money by not going for a LGA2011 build and putting the money into a new gpu instead. Do you have a max budget / are you looking to upgrade anything else? (monitor etc)

Edit: Also, I'd be astounded if the H100 doesn't fit in that case as it's so massive

Edit 2: It says that it has space for 3 x 120mm fans in the top so a H100 should be fine

Edit 3: Also I fixed your link :p

3. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Agreed with above. If only for gaming then X99 is a massive waste of money. get a 970, z97 MB and a i5 4690k and save the rest of the cash for future upgrades and the H100 if you want it.

4. Eddieboi

I'm looking to upgrade the mobo, cpu, ram mainly. But I do like the thought of getting a new gpu but never had a gtx As I've always had amd but open to a gtx one if the current ones are equally better that the current amd ones.

Don't need screens or keyboard or mouse. And I think the current hdds and sdds I have will be fine unless it's worth getting one of the new sdds for the os (w7).

tI'lltake a good look tonight and come up with something.

Budget wise prob looking at £1k. Current pc getting a bit old and doing stupid stuff.

5. Strudul

Strudul ~

Do you really need a Cosmos II?

Kinda a bit expensive and big for what you need wouldn't you say?

As much as I love the case and wish I could justify one, I wouldn't use 33% of my budget on it :/

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I was going to add that later but forgot - the Cosmos II is a hugely expensive case. If it were me I'd get a much cheaper case, go for a decent Z97 motherboard with an i5 or i7 Haswell chip and get an awesome GPU like the GTX 970 or 980. I'm sure you'd be able to get that for £1k.

7. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Cosmos II cases are almost £300, that's a big chunk of your budget. It's just so big and unnecessary, that H100 is unlikely to fit in there, those new ones have humongous Radiators. May I recommend the Corsair Obsidian 750D - it's still a good statement case but it has that extra room above the motherboard for large radiators, as well as space in the front - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cors...teel-with-side-window-3x140mm-fans-usb-30-e-a The Air 540 is a very spacious case with striking looks as well - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cors...se-direct-airflow-path-cooling-for-revolution

Go for a Z97 motherboard and a 4690K. X99 builds don't benefit anybody for gaming, they run about the same as the i5 when OCed. X99 builds are only beneficial if you're planning multi-threaded work that you need that extra power for, like rendering, video/photo editing and 3d modelling. If it's just for gaming, you're literally wasting money because you won't see any extra oomph for that cash.

With the extra money you could get a top end GPU which would really give you your money's worth.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Isn't Total War one of the few games that really benefits from having much CPU, such as a 5820k?

9. Eddieboi

So I've had a little gander and this is what I've come up with:

CPU - £187.38 i5 4690K
    CPU Fan - £79.99 Corsair Hydro 80i
    Mobo - £107.96 Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
    Ram - £104.59 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series or would I be fine with 8gb instead of 16gb?
    GPU - £291.56 4GB Gigabyte GTX 970
    PSU - £104.10 Corsair 750 RM Series Full Modular
    Case - £137.39 Obsidian 750d
    Secondary Storage - £79.98 WD 2TB

Some thoughts:

Not entirely how good this build is so I am open to suggestions and changes/improvements to save money or to get bang for my money.

Case wise...love it...good suggestions...its what Im looking for, a case with space and easy to clean filters. (I currently have a Haf X).

Possibly looking at a fan controller as well but to be honest I probably wont need one.

What I will be keeping from old PC:

OS - Windows 7
    Samsung 840 Pro Basic Series SSD (OS) (238GB?)
    OCZ Agility 111GB x 2
    Samsung HDD 1TB F3 (I think its an F3)
    Western Digital 600GB HDD

Have a Razer mouse and keyboard that still is functioning and fine.
    Have two LG 22" screens which I will be keeping

Last edited: 13 May 2015
  10. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

looks pretty good, could save a bit more and pick up a 290x instead of a 970, ive had both and whilst there is not much in it i did like the 290x

11. Darkwisdom

That sounds like a great idea unless he's gunning for the greens specifically.

I recommend saving some money, getting the 290x and then getting a better second mass drive. Using all of those old drives cobbled together is bound to slow down your system. Keep the SSD for your OS and buy a big WD 2TB drive for mass.

12. Eddieboi

After reading some views about the 290x and GTX 970 im somewhat swayed a bit more to the GTX. Although I probably should add that I use two screens at the moment using eyefinity (AMD 7970). I am somewhat been thinking when the time came I would try GTX for a change since all my cards have been AMD.

This particular review I read about a 290x is that it can be somewhat a bit noisy which for me I would find annoying.

Also is 8gb the normal standard of minimum ram requirement for this kind of setup or would I still benefit having 16gb worth of Ram?

I think I shall go with this WD 2TB

13. Eddieboi

To run the below setup, would a 750w be more than enough, and if so could I get away with a 650w PSU instead? And how would getting a 290x change the Wattage requirement?

CPU - £187.38 i5 4690K
    CPU Fan - £79.99 Corsair Hydro 80i
    Mobo - £107.96 Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
    Ram - £104.59 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series or would I be fine with 8gb instead of 16gb?
    GPU - £291.56 4GB Gigabyte GTX 970
    PSU - £104.10 Corsair 750 RM Series Full Modular
    Case - £137.39 Obsidian 750d
    Secondary Storage - £79.98 WD 2TB

Note:

Possible thinking of getting this GPU instead as its slightly cheaper EVGA NVIDIA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 Graphics Card - 4GB

Last edited: 13 May 2015
  14. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

the reference 290's were hot and loud but the aftermarket cards addressed this, a sapphire tri-x ran cooler and quieter than my reference 970's but if your set on a 970 stick with that, only problem with the 970's is they can be prone to coil whine

15. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I've read a lot of people moaning about Gigabyte graphics cards of late (mostly coil whine and others dying), which would make me a little nervous in buying one personally.

16. Darkwisdom

650W is fine. Although this gen isn't that much more powerful, it is much more power efficient. IT means that you don't need monster PSUs for a single GPU configuration. 750w is overkill for a GTX 970 and a 4690K.

Looks like a pretty decent build. I'd stay clear of Gigabyte ones, they use a mainly reference PCB which is prone to coil whine. It isn't a little bit either, i've heard some people are audibly annoyed by it, even whilst properly gaming, sound on etc. The EVGA looks like a good idea, they have some of the best warranties and customer service around. It isn't what you buy it for obviously, but it's nice to have it. Solid build quality and i've not heard any complaints from owners of those particular cards.

17. Eddieboi

Well after some thinking and how I can trim the cost a little I decided to make a few changes:

GPU -XFX Radeon R9 290x DD
    I read a few reviews this particular card is quite good and quiet

PSU - Corsair RM 650 Modular

With these alterations takes my total cost to around £1043....

18. Darkwisdom

THe DD are quite good aftermarket coolers, they're pretty quiet and they don't draw too much power - with overclocking both CPU and GPU you'd probably draw just over 500w. Any reason you're going for the corsair PSUs? They're a good choice, but certainly not the most efficient in price.

19. Eddieboi

I've used Corsair before. But I'm open to suggestions to get something for the same price but better as you said.

20. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

not used one myself but heard good things about superflower psu's