bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > Serious

Old 15th Oct 2016, 14:20   #1
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.
Vegans - Lifestyle choices

I would guess that a decade or two ago most of you never heard of, let alone met a vegan person. Back then it was the vegetarians, but they mostly kept to themselves.
Nowadays there seems to be vegans everywhere, and they allways appear to be holier than thou, trying to convert everyone. It allmost feels like the inquisition all over again.

Personally, I don't care what lifestyle someone chooses over another, aslong as he/she doesn't interfere with mine. It's the old "live and let live" approach.
Why is it, that most vegans I encounter can't get their head around this approach?

Living a vegan lifestyle sounds nice and all, but it seems to forget about alot of things.
First of all, vegans totally neglect the fact, that humans evolved into what they are because they're omnivores. If some apes wouldn't have started to eat meat a couple million years ago, there wouldn't be no humans today. And some tens of thousands of years ago, humans never would've been able to leave the savannah in africa, if it wouldn't have been for hunting and eating animals, using their skins, bones and sinews for clothing and tools.

Up until very recently, a vegan diet wouldn't have even be possible without deficiencies. Modern science gave us the ability to counter these deficiencies with pills. Animal hides and fat were equally as important until some 100-200 years ago, before we learned to use latex and oil to make lubricants, rubber, plastics and textiles out of it.
We simply wouldn't have been able to evolve without animal-products.

Besides all that, a vegan lifestyle is more expensive. And it's not just because vegan products are marketed as highprice items.
A vegan diet is more expensive simply because you usually need to substitute for deficiencies. Especially the nutrients high in content in meat, milk, eggs or fish.
And then there's regions, where there's winters. In these regions vegetable and fruit are only available, when they are imported from elsewhere making them usually more expensive.

Don't get me wrong, I try to eat as much vegetable and fruit as possible, and I've reduced the amount of meat I eat, but a vegan diet is simply not feasible for me. Dairy products and eggs is something I rely on in my diet, aswell as fish.

I get that we should try to reduce the amount of animal-products in our lifes, but all those vegans really start to get on my nerves.

Cooltek/Jonsbo U1 | Silverstone SX500-LG | Noctua NF-R8 Redux 1200
Gigabyte H97N-WiFi | intel i7-5775C | Noctua NH-D9L | Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3L1600 | Crucial MX200 250GB | 2.5" WD AV 1TB
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2016, 19:05   #2
sparkyboy22
Web Tinkerer

sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
First rule of Vegan Club is the opposite to Fight club!

sparkyboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2016, 19:40   #3
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Going vegan requires a good bit of effort and a good bit of hassle and compromise I would think. Practicing veganism is also a moral decision be that based on animal servitude, their conditions and their environmental impact. So its not surprising that some of them go on about it a lot. I'm sure they get a bit of stick from omnivores as well, so that's not going to help their antagonism. In other words their holier than thou attitude is not surprising. There are always going to be people like that (not necessarily vegans ) and they tend to be a short minor annoyance at the most. So it gets a meh from me.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2016, 19:43   #4
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Q. How do you spot a Vegan at a party?

A. Don't worry, they'll f***ing let you know!

All joking aside, I've only met three people who identified themselves as Vegans, one of whom was an absolute riot about the whole thing - a very funny guy called Graham Wootton - he left you no doubt about his personal choice but instead of lecturing or attempting to convert others, he had dozens of one liners and piss-takes memorised. The other two people were prototypical "go tell it on the mountain" leaf munchers - absolutely vile, holier than thou tw@ts they were too.

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|980 Ti|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2016, 19:45   #5
goldstar0011
Mod Master

goldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
My veggie best mate went on and on about the cruelity of meat to the point of insulting me about my job as a food buyer, well during this time him and anotehr mate were drinking and fighting back..............later found him crying in the toilets!!

Got less preachy since then.

But yeah, through my job I am getting more requests for vegan foods but they pull a premium price and personally, I don't know any veggie or vegan that doesn't earn a high salary.

I do get to try a number of these vegan and veggie foods and found some to down right horrible but some are amazing (for tea I just had 2 vegan burgers).
goldstar0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2016, 19:55   #6
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
People can and should follow their own beliefs, as said above its when they try and force their views on others i get annoyed.

I eat meat, i also enjoy certain veggie options but i dont go round trying to get veggies to eat meat.

The thing that annoys nme the most is that vegans wont eat free range eggs.

My chicken's live in the garden happily, there isnt a cockerel so any eggs are a bi product, no cruelty is involved so really theres absolutely no reason to not eat the eggs, if anything they'd be left to rot and possibly cause harm to the Chuck's if they decided to eat them ( yes chickens will eat there own eggs and each other if left to it).
CrapBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2016, 20:07   #7
spolsh
Supermodder

spolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Bring 'em on - more bacon for the rest of us !
Old 15th Oct 2016, 21:17   #8
VipersGratitude
Mod Master

VipersGratitude is a Super Spamming SaiyanVipersGratitude is a Super Spamming SaiyanVipersGratitude is a Super Spamming SaiyanVipersGratitude is a Super Spamming SaiyanVipersGratitude is a Super Spamming SaiyanVipersGratitude is a Super Spamming SaiyanVipersGratitude is a Super Spamming SaiyanVipersGratitude is a Super Spamming SaiyanVipersGratitude is a Super Spamming SaiyanVipersGratitude is a Super Spamming SaiyanVipersGratitude is a Super Spamming Saiyan
http://imgur.com/bpH0T0T
Old 15th Oct 2016, 21:18   #9
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipersGratitude View Post
Woohoo! Free protein!

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|980 Ti|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2016, 22:40   #10
rainbowbridge
Banned

rainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyan

trop extravigant pour le foreplay temps sexy
rainbowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2016, 08:38   #11
Bindibadgi
Am I out of touch?

Bindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Nowadays there seems to be vegans everywhere, and they allways appear to be holier than thou, trying to convert everyone. It allmost feels like the inquisition all over again.

I get that we should try to reduce the amount of animal-products in our lifes, but all those vegans really start to get on my nerves.
Quote:

Personally, I don't care what lifestyle someone chooses over another, aslong as he/she doesn't interfere with mine. It's the old "live and let live" approach.
Old 18th Oct 2016, 09:02   #12
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.
There's no confusion there Bindi.

I'm talking about the vegans not letting me live my life the way I chose to, but instead keep telling me what an awful person I am for eating meat and using animal-products.
I don't tell them what to do, so they should leave me alone aswell.

Gigabyte H97N-WiFi | intel i7-5775C | Noctua NH-D9L | Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3L1600 | Crucial MX200 250GB | 2.5" WD AV 1TB
Old 18th Oct 2016, 10:10   #13
Bindibadgi
Am I out of touch?

Bindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
There's no confusion there Bindi.

I'm talking about the vegans not letting me live my life the way I chose to, but instead keep telling me what an awful person I am for eating meat and using animal-products.
I don't tell them what to do, so they should leave me alone aswell.
You really see that many of them? Really? Where do you live/work?

I get the same **** from Mormon's out here though tbh. They're not hostile though, just invasive.
Old 18th Oct 2016, 12:10   #14
jrs77
theorycrafting

Yeah, unfortunately I have come across alot of vegans lately and alot of them are very righteous.

Apparently when you come across one vegan in your greater circle of friends, then there's more vegans to follow who usually just have been converted.

It's like a cult I tell you.

Old 18th Oct 2016, 13:13   #15
knarF
Noob

knarF has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As a vegetarian (who's thought - but wimped out - of going vegan on a few occasions) I kinda find this hard to believe. I know there are the in your face irritating vegans, I'm not denying that, but there are these same types of people in all walks of life who believe in all sorts of different things (religion, patriots, racists, feminists, music fans, Apple users...), people can't shut up or stop themselves promoting the things they life/believe in. Welcome to society.

But I have a few vegan/vegetarian friends, most of them I didn't know were v/v until I'd already befriended them. In fact I have a mate who I see on a pretty much weekly basis for either the pub or a gig and is a pretty hardcore vegan, but I didn't even know until we went out to eat somewhere after I'd probably known him for like 6 months or more. I've worked where I do now for a couple years and it was only recently common knowledge, but that brings me to the next point...

It so regularly isn't v/v people who start the conversation, it's meat eaters. Asking questions and gentle ribbing is fine, whenever you do anything that isn't completely normal to the point that everyone does it, you expect that. But I get awful jokes (possible winner is "I'm a vegetarian, I just still eat meat") and ridiculous questions constantly. Which I'm fine with, I'm not insecure. Yet I'm pretty certain I've never told anyone they shouldn't eat meat or made them watch a peta video (not that I'd have anything to do with peta anyway).

Case in point; the OP made a thread moaning about vegans talking about being vegan. Am I the only one seeing the irony in this?

TL;DR
- everyone talks about what they believe
- meat eaters talk about vegetarianism more than vegetarians do
Old 18th Oct 2016, 16:56   #16
jrs77
theorycrafting

I did not ask them about their diet, nor would it have made any difference to me had I known that they were vegans. And the problem is not that they started talk about it, the problem is that most of the vegans I've encountered within the last year (more than a dozen) have judged me for my eating meat and actively tried to convert me.

That's why I started the thread.

Tags
animals, food, lifestyle, vegan, vegetarian, you eat my food's food