bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > Serious

Old 30th Mar 2017, 23:42   #1
Harlequin
Banned

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
SPACEX makes History

For anyone interested in science - @ 23.20 history was made when SPACEX reused an orbital class booster for the first time.

A second mission has been flown using the same booster from 10 months ago, and again this time , it landed , on the drone capture ship.

The 1st stage booster is the most expensive part of a rocket , and to reuse it , means the cost can be rapidly reduced, so today`s flight is a huge step!
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2017, 01:10   #2
RedFlames
...is in the wrong quantum reality

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
That's some pretty impressive stuff...

Did Musk/SpaceX ever say how many launches they intended these things to do? Was the plan 'X uses and then done' or were they intended to be reused until it broke.

RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2017, 08:40   #3
[ZiiP] NaloaC
I Mod, Therefore I Own

[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I watched the livestream last night and was grinning ear-to-ear watching it hoping that all would go well. Still awed by the fact that I can watch these launches live from the comfort of my chair via the internet

I think they were stating that they hope to get about 6-9 launches from each unit, but I might be off on that number.

Seemingly, they are hoping to do another 6 re-launches this year with used boosters.

Sui Generis: i7 5820K, Corsair H105, 16GB Kingston 2133, ASUS X99-S, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M2, Samsung 850 1TB EVO, Corsair F3 120GB SSD & Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, MSI GTX 970, Corsair HX850W, Corsair Obsidian 800D, AOC 34", Logitech G15, Shogun Bros Ballista Mk-1, Corsair 1500.
[ZiiP] NaloaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2017, 08:46   #4
Tynecider
Since ZX81

Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Testament to the quality of US engineering, Interesting times for the private sector.
Tynecider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2017, 09:29   #5
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming Saiyan
There's something quite amazing about watching the rocket land back on the barge. It brings to mind all those sci fi programmes I used to watch as a kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Did Musk/SpaceX ever say how many launches they intended these things to do? Was the plan 'X uses and then done' or were they intended to be reused until it broke.
According to the Beeb, Musk's aim is to have an engine that can be reused in 24hrs with no hardware changes, with rockets being reused up to 10 times, or even up to 100 times with refurbishment.
Old 31st Mar 2017, 16:05   #6
RedFlames

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Did anyone else see the quote on the landing barge:

Old 31st Mar 2017, 16:44   #7
play_boy_2000
It was funny when I was 12

play_boy_2000 is definitely a rep cheat.play_boy_2000 is definitely a rep cheat.play_boy_2000 is definitely a rep cheat.play_boy_2000 is definitely a rep cheat.play_boy_2000 is definitely a rep cheat.play_boy_2000 is definitely a rep cheat.play_boy_2000 is definitely a rep cheat.play_boy_2000 is definitely a rep cheat.play_boy_2000 is definitely a rep cheat.play_boy_2000 is definitely a rep cheat.play_boy_2000 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
That's some pretty impressive stuff...

This booster was an early version of the f9 FT, so although Elon is planning to donate it for display (possibly the KSC rocket garden?), it would probably have only been flown a few times.

SpaceX keeps making minor adjustments as they go along which supposedly, along with a slight thrust bump and some other special sauce will result in "Falcon 9 Block 5", which flies late this year, and is the booster being designed for 10 gas-n-go flights before requiring periodic overhauls on the march to as many as 100 flights.
Asus P8P67
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD

Last edited by play_boy_2000; 31st Mar 2017 at 16:49.
play_boy_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2017, 16:48   #8
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Did anyone else see the quote on the landing barge:
That's not a quote; that's literally the name of the barge. It's the ASDS Of Course I Still Love You; the other barge in the fleet is the ASDS Just Read the Instructions. (Musk's gone for a Banksian Culture theme in the naming convention, and by that I mean ripped both names straight from the pages of Player of Games.)
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2017, 17:12   #9
RedFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
That's not a quote; that's literally the name of the barge. It's the ASDS Of Course I Still Love You; the other barge in the fleet is the ASDS Just Read the Instructions. (Musk's gone for a Banksian Culture theme in the naming convention, and by that I mean ripped both names straight from the pages of Player of Games.)
I did not know that.