bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 28th Oct 2016, 10:20   #941
mrbungle
Undercooked chicken giver

mrbungle is a Super Spamming Saiyanmrbungle is a Super Spamming Saiyanmrbungle is a Super Spamming Saiyanmrbungle is a Super Spamming Saiyanmrbungle is a Super Spamming Saiyanmrbungle is a Super Spamming Saiyanmrbungle is a Super Spamming Saiyanmrbungle is a Super Spamming Saiyanmrbungle is a Super Spamming Saiyanmrbungle is a Super Spamming Saiyanmrbungle is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir View Post
Yes, me.

My laptop is a Intel Celeron N2920, 1,8GHz, 4GB RAM, 32GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics job.

Win10 works fine. Installing it was a pain as the SSD is just that bit too small.
28GB available, Win8.1 was originally installed. Win8.1 plus the recovery partition plus the Win10 installer plus temporary installation files didn't fit.
In the end I did a complete reinstalloff a Win10 media creator based stick, and it was still full.
Then I ditched the Win8.1 roll back files and had ~6 GB free.

Then the "Anniversary Update" came along, my drive filled up, and after Installation hey presto, 10GB free.

So I think it preloads these updatefiles in the background, then installs them, ditching the updatefiles.
A shame it insists doing this on the tiny ssd C: drive, and not use the large secondary drive

Had this same problem the other day.

Laptop presented to me with a 120GB SSD with 3GB free.

Uninstalled W7 rollback files and cleared out some bumph to get 16GB free.

Anniversary update hit and left me with 4GB again

Then went through disc clean up and got rid of the pre anniversary roll back to free up 5 or 6GB.

Constant fighting with it that really annoyed me
Old 29th Oct 2016, 02:44   #942
oscy
Supermodder

oscy is definitely a rep cheat.oscy is definitely a rep cheat.oscy is definitely a rep cheat.oscy is definitely a rep cheat.oscy is definitely a rep cheat.oscy is definitely a rep cheat.oscy is definitely a rep cheat.oscy is definitely a rep cheat.oscy is definitely a rep cheat.oscy is definitely a rep cheat.oscy is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadda View Post
It felt really odd giving a MS technician remote access to my PC after all the phishing scams you hear about, but job done.
It's pretty normal nowadays. I even had technical trouble logging into a website and the helpdesk solved it by remote access.

Still waiting for doctors, opticians etc. to have remote access to our bodies to solve our unexplainable ails.
Old 31st Oct 2016, 20:53   #943
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Had a clean install with anniversary edition install media, the changes to the bundled apps compared to the original are kind of absurd.

My pro license no longer pre-installs the PDF reader - because who ever uses PDF in a professional capacity - but I did get like 7 games including Candy Crush.

Instead of distinguishing itself with desirable features like a gray explorer theme that pretty much all production software has, it seems like the pro license is just becoming less and less pro.
Old 4th Nov 2016, 23:48   #944
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
So I haven't booted into windows since Firefox 47.0 and I'm going through the rigmarole of updating things (my screen is awash with progress bars). I've noticed that Microsoft tried to push me into upgrading into Windows 10 but I thought they got rid of all of that. I also noticed that somehow the update that installs the Malware that pesters you into installing the upgrade magically unhid itself.

The thing is I thought they ended the upgrade offer.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2016, 11:09   #945
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.
Greetings!

Quote:
Windows switching to differential patching in the Creators Update
Change will bring smaller downloads and quicker checking for updates.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...eators-update/
Old 5th Nov 2016, 22:22   #946
pilsner72
Bodger

pilsner72 is a Super Spamming Saiyanpilsner72 is a Super Spamming Saiyanpilsner72 is a Super Spamming Saiyanpilsner72 is a Super Spamming Saiyanpilsner72 is a Super Spamming Saiyanpilsner72 is a Super Spamming Saiyanpilsner72 is a Super Spamming Saiyanpilsner72 is a Super Spamming Saiyanpilsner72 is a Super Spamming Saiyanpilsner72 is a Super Spamming Saiyanpilsner72 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Haven't been able to to connect to the kids pc connected to the printer and also my daughters laptop can't connect to it since my eldest updated to windows 10 from windows 7. I have Ubuntu 16.04 installed on an external HDD and Mint 18 I plug in now and again.

Windows 10 will get there eventually

Steam: [BC] holstenwolf
pilsner72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2016, 11:45   #947
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.
Greetings!

Quote:
Windows Cmd.Exe Deposed By Powershell

Is Microsoft planning to replace the command prompt with PowerShell? Probably, although it isn’t set in stone yet. Those with the latest preview build should be able to see the change.

Quote:
"In an effort to bring the best command line experiences to the forefront for all power users, PowerShell is now the de facto command shell from File Explorer," said Dona Sarkar, software engineer in Microsoft's Windows and devices group, in a blog post. "It replaces Command Prompt (aka 'cmd.exe') in the WIN + X menu, in File Explorer's File menu, and in the context menu that appears when you shift-right-click the whitespace in File Explorer." Typing "cmd" in File Explorer's address bar (or the more obvious "powershell") will launch PowerShell at that location. The Command Prompt isn't dead yet, however. Committed traditionalists can disable the change through the Taskbar menu.
http://www.hardocp.com/news/2016/11/..._by_powershell
Old 8th Dec 2016, 03:16   #948
RedFlames
...is in the wrong quantum reality

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
MS Brings Windows to ARM... again...

Only this time the appear to have done it properly, complete with x86 app support [performance of which is apparently not too bad]. So this shouldn't be RT v2.

RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2016, 03:22   #949
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Microsoft are all over the place. What exactly do they have that is going to make this turn out any better than the original ARM bellyflop?
Old 8th Dec 2016, 03:36   #950
RedFlames

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
Microsoft are all over the place. What exactly do they have that is going to make this turn out any better than the original ARM bellyflop?
The fact that this time x86/win32 stuff works without needing to be ported/recompiled.

Here's the MS advert -

But given it's Microsoft, it [Windows on ARM] could still bomb spectacularly... again...

Old 8th Dec 2016, 16:46   #951
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

They have an impressive emulation layer, but I'm still sceptical as to the advantages for the end users. A full windows 10 install isn't really suited to the space where ARM is king, basically highly mobile devices like small tablets and phones. Once you move above that into laptops, I would ask the question if an ARM processor plus an emulation layer have any advantage over a straight x86_64 based processor.
Old 8th Dec 2016, 18:19   #952
RedFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
ARM processor plus an emulation layer have any advantage over a straight x86_64 based processor.
Power consumption maybe? IIRC even the most frugal of Intel's ULV offerings still requires more juice than ARM, plus ARM are slowly encroaching on Intel in the server market so MS will want to have a product they can sell to anyone with an ARM server.

There must be some market for windows on ARM else MS wouldn't have bothered trying again...

EDIT: Also MS are somewhat relying on UWP to make this work, they've demo'd x86 emulation works, and works moderately well, but i think the aim is to get devs over to UWP so they can run on ARM [or x86 or whatever else they port windows too] without emulation. x86 emulation is accepting the reality of now [that most windows app are win32/x86] whilst trying to nudge people towards [MS' idea of] the future [UWP].

Old 8th Dec 2016, 18:21   #953
Krazeh
Mod Master

Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm also pretty sure that an ARM processor is significantly cheaper than an x86_64 one.
Krazeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2017, 12:53   #954
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Greetings!

Quote:
Microsoft launches privacy dashboard, offers you "more control over your data" in Windows 10
It's approaching these concerns with new efforts on two fronts. The first is being introduced today, as the company's Terry Myerson explained: "Today, we’re taking a step forward in supporting our privacy principle of transparency with the introduction of a new Microsoft privacy dashboard on the web that lets you easily see and manage your activity data."
Its second wave of efforts will come as part of the Windows 10 Creators Update, which is due to be released in April. Previews of the Creators Update are already being tested by those on the Windows Insider Program.
https://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...-in-windows-10
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 17:29   #955
Concrete-Coffin
Supermodder

Concrete-Coffin is a Super Spamming SaiyanConcrete-Coffin is a Super Spamming SaiyanConcrete-Coffin is a Super Spamming SaiyanConcrete-Coffin is a Super Spamming SaiyanConcrete-Coffin is a Super Spamming SaiyanConcrete-Coffin is a Super Spamming SaiyanConcrete-Coffin is a Super Spamming SaiyanConcrete-Coffin is a Super Spamming SaiyanConcrete-Coffin is a Super Spamming SaiyanConcrete-Coffin is a Super Spamming SaiyanConcrete-Coffin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
can anybody explain why eset keeps telling me ive got updates for intel stuff but on the windows update doesn't show them or install

Old 23rd Feb 2017, 18:43   #956
RedFlames

Intel doesn't typically push chipset driver updates over WU. Pretty sure the chipset drivers on WU lag behind those by those provided on intel's site by a few versions.

So if in doubt,
grab them direct from intel

Old 23rd Apr 2017, 12:16   #957
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Greetings!

Quote:
Microsoft will now release major Windows 10 updates every March and September
The next one arrives this September

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/20/15...september-2017
Quote:
How to Activate Windows 10 Creators Update with Old Windows License Keys

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/04...d_license_keys
Quote:
Leaked document shows Microsoft is about to take on Chromebooks

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/21/15...petitor-rumors
Quote:
Windows 10: Ultralight PCs based on ARM smartphone chips set for Q4, says Qualcomm
By the end of the year, you'll be able to get a lightweight, power-efficient, ARM-based Windows 10 PC.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...says-qualcomm/
Quote:
Windows 10 CloudBooks: Here's how they may stack up against Chromebooks
Minimum specs for devices running Windows 10 Cloud that are meant to compete with Chromebooks in the education market have leaked.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...t-chromebooks/