bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 1st May 2017, 00:20   #1
RagingMadman
Multimodder

RagingMadman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RagingMadman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RagingMadman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RagingMadman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RagingMadman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RagingMadman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RagingMadman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RagingMadman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RagingMadman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RagingMadman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RagingMadman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looking for good desk suggestions?

Sorry if this isnt the right place to post this.

Really looking for a nice desk upgrade. Currently have a **** desk that leave me cramped and my mouse runs out of pad too often.
I would like to find maybe a 60w or better with 22d or greater.
I'm not too picky. I can rage pretty hard so im not interested in getting glass tops again xD
I learned my lesson. Furniture stores have **** for office setups with weird tops. I'm really looking for something simple but cant really find anything decent. Suggestions?
Old 1st May 2017, 00:37   #2
MeMo
It is what it is

MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sooo.. do you need drawers, shelfs?????
Old 1st May 2017, 02:22   #3
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingMadman View Post
Sorry if this isnt the right place to post this.

Really looking for a nice desk upgrade. Currently have a **** desk that leave me cramped and my mouse runs out of pad too often.
I would like to find maybe a 60w or better with 22d or greater.
I'm not too picky. I can rage pretty hard so im not interested in getting glass tops again xD
I learned my lesson. Furniture stores have **** for office setups with weird tops. I'm really looking for something simple but cant really find anything decent. Suggestions?
i'm guessing that's inches not cm...

but...

PC... on or under
does it need to accommodate monitors? how many?

then...

sitting or standing?
free-standing or integrated/?
storage?
preference on materials [other than 'not glass']
Miscellaneous **** like do you need somewhere to bolt peripherals [like a steering wheel and/or joystick] to

and all-important... how much are you prepared to spend?

Last edited by RedFlames; 1st May 2017 at 02:28.
RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 07:51   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I have this from Ikea, with a cable management shelf underneath. Cheap, massive, and can be used used sitting or standing. The only real drawback: it does wobble a bit in standing mode.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 08:00   #5
MeMo
It is what it is

MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeMo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
I have this from Ikea, with a cable management shelf underneath. Cheap, massive, and can be used used sitting or standing. The only real drawback: it does wobble a bit in standing mode.
I have the same one and it does work well, but yeah a little wobbly in the standing position, but not enough to interfer with performance, I would give it a 8/10. I am moving soon so I will probably pass it a long and get something else.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:06   #6
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm looking to go multi-monitor soon, so I've been eyeing up this one (also Ikea)

It's not adjustable at all, and I might swap one of the drawer towers for a cupboard. (Cupboard is £10 cheaper)
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 11:26   #7
johnim40
Ultramodder

johnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
hi i have 3 of these in a l shape cheap and sturdy i have 2machines on the right of me and a 40in 4k monitor in front with a 28in 4k on the other side with a system on that coverd by full 90x45 surface mats

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/d...-art-00251135/

just for pic dont look at mess lol

MAIN
:I7 4770k:Asus +:780GTX:SERVER:x5650:780 GTX:F2:I5 3570k:2 x msi970 GTX
Folding Stats HFM.NET

Last edited by johnim40; 1st May 2017 at 11:37.
johnim40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 12:06   #8
modd1uk
Mod Master

modd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim40 View Post
hi i have 3 of these in a l shape cheap and sturdy i have 2machines on the right of me and a 40in 4k monitor in front with a 28in 4k on the other side with a system on that coverd by full 90x45 surface mats

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/d...-art-00251135/

just for pic dont look at mess lol
My OCD is going mental, tidy up you filthy animal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
There you are, then! Buy 100, take two, eBay a bundle of 98 at 70% the price of the 100-bag bundles, spend the profit on ale and whores.
modd1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 13:01   #9
bawjaws
Mod Master

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It's a shame that Ikea have discontinued the Galant range as they were excellent desks. I'm not entirely convinced by the replacement range (Bekant).
bawjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 17:00   #10
Behemoth
Timelord in training

Behemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by modd1uk View Post
Even I couldn't cope with that mess ! That would drive me insane and I can usually cope with organised chaos.
|Dell Latitude E6320|Intel Core i5 2520m 2.5 GHz|8 Gig of RAM|
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 18:08   #11
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by modd1uk View Post
It's tidy enough... i can still see desk...

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 21:16   #12
johnim40
Ultramodder

johnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyanjohnim40 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
lol its my corner the misses keeps out

MAIN
:I7 4770k:Asus +:780GTX:SERVER:x5650:780 GTX:F2:I5 3570k:2 x msi970 GTX
Folding Stats HFM.NET

johnim40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 21:47   #13
Behemoth
Timelord in training

Behemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This was once how my desk looked.

Old 1st May 2017, 21:54   #14
MeMo
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
This was once how my desk looked.

Nice!!! I know someone like that!!
Old 1st May 2017, 21:56   #15
Behemoth
Timelord in training

That was almost 10 years ago, I've gotten a bit more organised since then lol.
Old 1st May 2017, 22:47   #16
edzieba
Virtual Realist

edzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyan
1) Get your chair adjusted properly (seat height set so your upper legs are parallel wit hthe ground, feet flat on the ground

2) Lower your arms so your forearms are horizontal and your upper arms are close to pointing straight down (will probably be a bit off, whatever's comfortable for you)

3) Measure how high your arms are above the ground. This is how high your desk surface should be to sit at it comfortably

4) Get some cheap Ikea legs whose hight range is right for the height you need

5) Get a big sheet of wood (either an Ikea desk surface or whatever else is available) and stick the legs under it
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 22:58   #17
Dr. Coin
Supermodder

Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawjaws View Post
It's a shame that Ikea have discontinued the Galant range as they were excellent desks. I'm not entirely convinced by the replacement range (Bekant).
I second the Ikea Galant. In my area there is lots available on kijji and ebay. If you don't mind second hand, they can be great computer desks. I got mine second hand and managed to match a straight section and two 45į corner pieces (not the nice L corners). I forget the total length but some where around 4 meters of desk.