bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 8th May 2017, 12:46   #1
meandmymouth
I Mod, Therefore I Own

meandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Server/NAS Case options

I've managed to get together most of the parts for a couple of storage servers but not sure which cases to go for.

The main one will consist of the following:
Asrock E3C224D2I
i3 4130
16GB ECC ram
5x4TB WD Reds (2 disk redundancy ideally - RAID 6/Z2)

I've been looking at the Lian Li PC-Q25 as it's small and has hot swap bays. I've also looked at a couple of 2U and 3U short-depth rack cases.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any cases that they've used?

Main - i7 3770K, Maximus V Gene, 32GB Crucial, 480 Sandisk Ultra II, 7TB HDD's, Fractal Arc Mini, CM 850W
meandmymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 13:36   #2
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I was going to suggest the In-Win IW-MS04, which I think is brilliant - but then I realised I bought it from you!

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|980 Ti|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 13:50   #3
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Silverstone DS380?

Only one that immediately springs to mind

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 14:05   #4
meandmymouth
I Mod, Therefore I Own

meandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I was going to suggest the In-Win IW-MS04, which I think is brilliant - but then I realised I bought it from you!
I did like that case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Silverstone DS380?

Only one that immediately springs to mind
I have been looking at the as well and was thinking about it for my other storage server, which will have 8x2TB drives.

Main - i7 3770K, Maximus V Gene, 32GB Crucial, 480 Sandisk Ultra II, 7TB HDD's, Fractal Arc Mini, CM 850W
Old 9th May 2017, 00:00   #5
Dr. Coin
Supermodder

Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Since space is not a concern for me I avoided the NAS cases and went with a full ATX case, Fractal Design Define R5. I just had to pick up a couple long SATA cables. With the full ATX case I have the 3.5" bay space I need (using 6 of 7), space for large and thus slower and quite fans (dual 140 mm pushing across the drives), and lots of space for working within the case, sometimes looking at the case I feel like I should add something it looks so empty.

Do you really expect to be using hot swap drive bays? The down time to replace a drive on a personal server is usually acceptable without hot-swappable bays.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, that I was thinking about modding the case to have two set of 5x 3.5" bay cages, except the spare parts centre has been sold out each time I have looked.

Last edited by Dr. Coin; 9th May 2017 at 00:08.
Dr. Coin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 09:48   #6
nimbu
I *am* a Dremel

nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.
I used to use one of those 5 x 3.5" to 3 5.25 bay thingies worked fine. Was all stuck in a generic 4 u rack mount case I picked up from saspro.

Couple of options on this page for you.

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/...NAS_Cases.html

Also I know you appear to have the board already but maybe one of those lenovo workstations ts140. Usually pretty cheap, I think you get the internal 4 bays plus you can use converters etc.
Old 9th May 2017, 11:46   #7
meandmymouth
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbu View Post
I used to use one of those 5 x 3.5" to 3 5.25 bay thingies worked fine. Was all stuck in a generic 4 u rack mount case I picked up from saspro.

Couple of options on this page for you.

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/...NAS_Cases.html

Also I know you appear to have the board already but maybe one of those lenovo workstations ts140. Usually pretty cheap, I think you get the internal 4 bays plus you can use converters etc.
I have been keeping my eye out for the cashback deals on those. There was one recently on the new version but gone within a day.

Old 10th May 2017, 15:59   #8
Fingers66
Kiwi in London

Fingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If space isn't a problem I would second the Fractal Define full size case option, standard components, sound deadening and cheap to buy. My homebrew backup NAS (OMV) is running in one with lots of room for more drives etc.
NAS 1:[Synology DS211j] NAS 2:[Homebrew OMV]
Fingers66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 21:16   #9
meandmymouth
I Mod, Therefore I Own

I'm currently using a Fractal Arc mini as my main case and had considered switching to something else and using the Arc for the storage server. 6 bays plus could fit in a 3bay hot swap unit.

Old 11th May 2017, 10:41   #10
Bindibadgi
Am I out of touch?

Bindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
I used to use one of these, it was very nice. Things did heat up a bit in summer and the PSU was noisy but overall good quality. Now moved onto a Fractal R4 because of space, cooling, sound deadening and full size PSU needs.
Old 11th May 2017, 13:32   #11
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
I used to use one of these, it was very nice. Things did heat up a bit in summer and the PSU was noisy but overall good quality. Now moved onto a Fractal R4 because of space, cooling, sound deadening and full size PSU needs.
I believe the one I have was yours originally, Bindi.

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|980 Ti|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0
Old 11th May 2017, 18:46   #12
Dr. Coin
Supermodder

Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
It is amazing how many cases are ruined by a poor PSU.
Figured I'd throw this out there, my NAS in the define R5, has a passively cooled CPU, and fanless Seasonic PSU. I have three case fans, two 140 in front and one 120 on the back. The case is nice a quiet and the temperatures are happy (being in a basement might have more to do with that).
Old 12th May 2017, 02:06   #13
Bindibadgi
Am I out of touch?

Bindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
I believe the one I have was yours originally, Bindi.
Well there we go Hope it's still working well!
Old 12th May 2017, 07:54   #14
David
RIP Tel

Quote:
Well there we go Hope it's still working well!
Yep tucked away on a shelf under the desk (an option missing from your recent poll ), running a Kabini setup - I can barely hear it.

Old 21st May 2017, 20:51   #15
meandmymouth
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Pretty much decided on the Lian Li PC-Q25, except getting it delivered is proving to be a pain. The only places that sell this case (overclockers, CCL and a couple others) all charge an outrageous amount for Saturday delivery.

I'm half tempted to go a Bitfenix Prodigy from Amazon instead and save myself a few quid and hassle. No hot swap bays but will happily fit 5 drives and isn't too big.

EDIT
Or I may just save myself all the hassle of finding a case and setting up the OS myself and just buy a 4/5 bay NAS. It would be the expensive option but the easiest.

Old 21st May 2017, 22:16   #16
David
RIP Tel

The PC-Q25 is typically Lian Li - gorgeous and functional. However, it incorporates one thing I absolutely detest - the PSU over the CPU area. I understand the practicality of it, I just hate it - a signature of some the very worst cheap and nasty beige boxes from way back.

Hey, who said hate was rational?

Old 21st May 2017, 22:26   #17
nimbu
I *am* a Dremel

nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.
I think there is a 5 bay synology up for sale on avforums.

Flog ur components and you shouldn't be having to put that much in.
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:36   #18
meandmymouth
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Eyeing up one of these as the easy option - https://www.amazon.co.uk/QNAP-TS-453...s=qnap+ts-453a

Old 22nd May 2017, 09:46   #19
nimbu
I *am* a Dremel

I havent used Qnap's in a very long time so cant comment on recent stuff, but I have used DSM more recently and I do like the software.

Here is the link to the synology I mentioned earlier for sale. Just for the sake of clarity I am not the seller. This is 5 bay vs the 4 bay qnap.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/syn...A3370.2090129/
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/download/DS1515+

What is you intended use? Are you just setting up a few network shares? Will you be hosting media? if so will you want to transcode that media?

Personally for my home network I have a bunch of SMB shares. Kodi boxes around the house can access them fine, never tried more than one at a time.

Music I just have a mapped drive on my main PC.

I use the built in MariaDB to act a shared media library.

I used to run other native apps back in the day, but discovered docker when synology changed a bunch of stuff and community apps stopped working.

Why am I asking? I think the CPU on the synology I linked is higher than the qnap.
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:14   #20
meandmymouth
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Intended use... becoming a good question. I did have a plan but now I'm rethinking my entire set up.

It was going to be where I store back ups for just about everything - all my files, media, family back ups and also a back up for services like plex.

However, I was going to put a 6TB drive into my lounge PC, which runs plex, but it has non-standard screw hold placement on the underside, so I may have to get imaginative with mounting that.