bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 28th Apr 2017, 23:13   #21
GorgTech
Modder

GorgTech has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Itīs time for another update. I received this nice package these days.

I want to thank Cooler Master for the kind support and for the trust.

Whatīs inside? Letīs perform some Unboxing.

Plenty of Cooler Master MasterGel Maker elite thermal grease.

I like this thermal grease since this one is considered to be the best you can get these days, like many reviews can confirm.

This amount of thermal grease will be more than enough for many other projects too.

Iīve used this thermal grease for other purposes too.

The package also included some nice bonus items like eg. a Cooler Master keychain, some nice emblems and some Cooler Master blankets.

The most important component was a Cooler Master V550 Power Supply.

Features:

- Fully modular cable design
- Powerful and small at the same time
- Silent Silencio FP 120mm Fan
- 80+ Gold certified
- Up to 92% high efficiency
- 100% japanese capacitors for a extended lifetime and minimal power fluctuations

Specs:

Model: RS550-AFBAG1-EU

Type: Intel Form Factor ATX 12V V2.31

Dimension: (W x L x H) 150 x 140 x 86mm

Input Voltage: 100-240Vac (Auto Range)

Input Current: 10 - 5A

Input Frequency Range: 63 - 47Hz

PFC: Active PFC (>0.9 typical)

Power Good Signal: 100-500ms

Hold Up Time: >16ms

Efficiency: 90% Typically

MTBF: >100,000 Hours

Protection: OVP/UVP/OPP/OTP/OCP/SCP

Output Capacity: 550W

Operation Temperature: 0~40°C

Regulatory: CE/FCC/UL/TUV/RCM/BSMI/CCC/EAC

Fan: 120mm Silencio FP

Certifications: 80 Plus Gold

Connector:

M/B 20+4 Pin Connector x 1
CPU 4+4 Pin x 1
PCI-e 6+2 Pin x 2
SATA x 6
4 Pin Peripheral x 3
4 Pin Floppy x 1

This small Power Supply is perfect for this project and looks nice too.

Some more Unboxing. Iīve used a Cooler Master V1000 Power Supply before which is still built in my Modified Desktop PC.

Letīs have a closer look. This small Power Supply is available in 550W, 650W and 750W. 550W should be OK for this project though.

The Power Supply and the cables are packed separately.

A cloth bag protects the Power Supply from scratches. The cables are stuffed into the bag next to it.

You also get some cable ties and 4 screws.

Thereīs not much to say about the cables. I like the idea that these are black and I donīt have to use sleeves on them

A small Power Supply which will hopefully do the job as expected.

100% modular designs are a must have in this case in order to save as much space as possible.

The built in Fan is silent.

I guess the cooling will be awesome since the Power Supply gets fresh air from outside of the case.

And hereīs a look at the Specs and efficiency again.

This is just a short description of the Power Supply and not a full review since this one would be too much for a worklog. From the looks of it, itīs a nice Power Supply which also looks great inside this case.

Letīs mount this Power Supply inside the case. Now you can see that this case is not as big as it might seem without any hardware inside? In fact itīs a small case which requires some thinkering around.

There is a gap of about 3cm between the reservoir and the Power Supply. Itīs just enough to insert the cables and to bend them a little.

Quite a nice back.

And how would this Power Supply look behind bars?

Thatīs it again. Iīm still waiting for the ordered glass in order to finish the second side panel.
GorgTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 13:00   #22
GorgTech
Modder

I received another package.

I want to thank Creative Labs for the kind support and for the trust.

Letīs have a look at whatīs inside.

A nice Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR Sound Card. Having used a simple Realtek Onboard HD Audio Codec for the past years, I have high expectations.

Thatīs the flagship of the ultra high-performance Sound Blaster Z-Series and it looks awesome too. Iīm sure that it fits well together with my project. From a technical point of view itīs nice to use with my DIY Valve Amplifiers

I could show you some pictures of these too if youīre interested.

Specifications:

Audio Technology: Sound Core3D

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR): 124dB

Max. Channel Output: 5.1 Channels

Platform: PC - PCIe x1

Connectivity Options (Main):

Headphone: 1 x Amplified 1/4" jack

Speaker Out: 2 x RCA (L/R) 2 x 3.5mm jacks (Rear,C/Sub)

Microphone In: 1 x 1/4" jack

Connectivity Options (Accessory) DBPro Daughter Board:

Line In: 2 x RCA (L / R)

Optical Out: 1 x TOSLINK

Optical In: 1 x TOSLINK

Audio Technologies:

SBX Pro Studio, CrystalVoice, Scout Mode, Dolby Digital Technology, DTS Connect Encoding

Microphone:

Microphone Type: Dual-array Noise Canceling Condenser

Beamforming: Yes (Built into Audio Control Module)

Frequency Response: 100Hz to 20kHz

Sensitivity: -37dB

Sound Performance:

Audio Fidelity: Up to 24-bit / 192kHz

Studio Attributes:

ASIO: ASIO 2.0

Included Accessories:

Audio Control Module (with Beamforming Microphone Built-in)

Recommended Usage:

Gaming, Home Entertainment, Pro Audio, Recording

Supported Operating Systems:

WindowsŪ 10, WindowsŪ 8, WindowsŪ 7

The components are packed in separate boxes. There are also suitable cables included.

The Sound Card has a nice EMI shielding and features golden connectors.

The DBPro Daughter Board looks similar and shares the same design. Both Sound Processors have a small cooler attached to them.

And hereīs a simple envelope. Whatīs inside?

1x optical Toslink cable, 1x instruction manual and a CD with Software and Device Drivers.

This Audio Control Module can come in handy.

Itīs nice to use it in order to swap through the In- and Outputs without having to fiddle around behind the case and also to adjust the volume. It also includes a built in microphone.

3.5mm plugs with extra 6.3mm adapters. The golden coating looks nice.

Iīm going to test the items later as soon as the PC is finished.

The Sound Card includes high grade Opamps which can be swapped for other models if you feel the need to experiment. Thatīs a nice feature for audio enthusiasts.

Just remove the EMI shielding and use a antistatic mat in order to prevent electrostatic discharges which could damage the sensitive hardware.

You need to be patient and careful in order to remove the Opamps from the sockets.

The built in New Japan Radio NJM2114D Opamps are very good, however I had some LME49720NA Opamps from older projects laying around.

Having compared the datasheets of these ICs, I decided to use the LME49720NA since these have slightly better specs, at least in theory.

Itīs not really necessary to change the Opamps but since I have these slightly better ICs, why not give them a try?

And itīs done. Iīm going to store the other Opamps in case I have to insert them again.

Hereīs another picture. I like the looks and I sure hope that the sound experience will be awesome too. Thereīs still a lot to do until I can finish this project.
Old 8th May 2017, 18:54   #23
GorgTech
Modder

Itīs time for another big update.

Letīs start with this nice package.

I want to thank Asrock for the kind support and for the trust.

There should be some awesome stuff inside

A nice Asrock Z270 Taichi Mainboard.

Letīs have a quick look at the most important features since the full Specifications are too much for this worklog.

Features:

ASRock Super Alloy

Supports 7th and 6th Generation IntelŪ Core™ i7/i5/i3/Pentium/CeleronŪ Processors (Socket 1151)

Supports DDR4 3733+(OC)

4 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 3.0 x1

AMD 3-Way CrossFireX™, NVIDIAŪ Quad SLI™

Graphics Output Options: HDMI, Display Port

7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec), Supports Purity Sound™ 4 & DTS Connect

10 SATA3, 3 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3)

2 USB 3.1 10Gb/s (1 Type-A + 1 Type-C), 9 USB 3.0 (4 Front, 4 Rear, 1 Vertical Type-A)

Dual IntelŪ Gigabit LAN

IntelŪ 802.11ac WiFi

ASRock AURA RGB LED

Nice Specifications, high quality components and Iīm sure that overclocking with this Mainboard will deliver great results.

Just check the contents.

Quite a lot of stuff inside. I like the 4x SATA cables which should be enough for most users. Some Mainboards only contain 2x SATA cables.

And the usual device drivers, instruction manuals which are needed in order to connect eg. the Power and Reset Buttons and some stickers.

Thatīs a strong packaging for the Mainboard.

Black & White design. The color scheme used is great inside the black case.

White elements like eg. the gears look awesome. Too bad that this design will be covered by PCIe devices later.

One last look before I mount the Mainboard in the case.

Not much to say.

Next I had to figure out, how to connect the cables with the Mainboard. I had to shorten nearly all cables because I donīt have much space left in the second chamber.

I need 3x Molex connectors for the pump, white LEDs, the RGB controller and the RGB LEDs.

Thatīs one example. All other cables look similar after the modification.

The same goes for the cable extensions used with the Fans. Hereīs just one example.

The shorter cable is the modified one and looks exactly like the stock cable.

Several hours later. The second chamber is stuffed and it would have looked a lot worse with longer cables.

Letīs mount the 120 radiator and the Sound Card. The 240 radiator will be mounted later when I connect the Water Cooling Loop.

Barely visible cables.

The shiny Fan Guard looks awesome the way it is.

This case will also include one Slim Bluray Drive with a 5,25" adapter.

I had to modify the rubber grommets in order to prevent the hoses from kinking . Just cut some parts and glue them together.

Still not convinced that thereīs barely any space available?

Finally I got the ordered glass. Well, itīs slightly shorter but Iīll improvise a little.

And this is how the glass is supposed to look like in order to fit inside the case.

The result. Does it look industrial enough?

And hereīs a picture of the case, the way it looks right now
Old 10th May 2017, 23:05   #24
GorgTech
Modder

And I got another nice package.

I want to thank GOODRAM for the kind support and for the trust.

Letīs unbox this thing

GOODRAM? Looks more like "Good-Yumm"

A nice treat is great in order to perform the remaining modifications.

Wait, thereīs more! One 16GB GOODRAM IRDM DDR4 RAM KIT.

These modules have a frequency of 2400Mhz and 15-15-15 Timings. The RAM Coolers are white and look great in combination with the Mainboard.

16GB of RAM is plenty for this project.

Letīs build these puppies in.

And thereīs another Goodie inside. A nice 240GB GOODRAM Iridium Pro SSD.

Just have a look at the Specifications.

Letīs unbox this SSD. The design is clean and simple.

I wonīt need the adapter because this SSD is not mounted into a Notebook.

Now hereīs a tricky part which triggered my OCD: I cannot mount the SSD the way it is because the Text will be rotated by 180° which looks irritating.

Iīve already shortened the SATA power supply cables and cannot stretch them too much. The SATA cables for the SSD are also too short and this is why I had to figure something out, how to fix this problem.

Letīs use some force and sanding paper in order to remove the coating. Brushed metal and shiny enough.

Attach one of the included emblems.

I will have a "Iridium Pro" Text plotted at a later time and attach it below the emblem.

I use 1x 3,5" to 2x 2,5" adapter because I wanted to adjust the position of the SSD to my taste. The adapter prevents the SSD from being mounted too far on the right which would have destroyed my window design.

This adapter also allows me to use a extra SSD at a later time. You want to keep this Project upgradeable, donīt you? Since the threads of cheap adapters tend to break easily, Iīve expanded the holes and used M5 Torx screws and nuts.

This method looks awesome too There are no vibrations at all.

The M3 screws used by the SSD have also been replaced by shortened M3 Torx screws. Maybe one small detail to other people but I want everything to look as uniform as possible.

The silver SSD is easy to spot and attracts the eyes. Btw, did I mention that Iridium looks somewhat silver too?

Silver + Black is a great combination. I cannot repeat this often enough.
Old 18th May 2017, 11:18   #25
GorgTech
Modder

Update time again!

Iīve removed the integrated Fan Controller a while ago and nearly forgotten about it. I donīt really need to use it since most Fans are connected to the Mainboard. Well, all except the 80mm Fan which is optional for the second chamber.

Iīve adjusted the Fan Controller. The 80mm Fan can be supplied by a voltage of 5V, 12V or turned off.

5V is already enough for a quiet operation but Iīm sure that I can adjust the voltage even lower. The resistor drops the voltage by about 0.5V.

Not too nice but functional. I have less cables to hide too

The 80mm Fan is only there to prevent the SSD of heating up too much during a hot summer.

Aquatuning sent me some extra Goodies since Iīve forgotten to add some parts needed for the Water Cooling to fit inside this case. Such a small case can be tricky and requires some extra thinkering around.

Iīve forgotten to shoot some group pictures of the gear I got but nevertheless Iīm going to show you the extra stuff.

Iīm not sure if Iīm going to use UV fluid or not and I wanted to have a suitable alternative. Just use some distilled water? Well, this might work but Phobya ZuperZero Clear 1000ml sounds like a better idea to me.

I also got some Alphacool HF L-connector G1/4 outer thread rotatable to G1/4 inner thread - Chrome which helped me to solve my problem with the reservoir.

Since the second chamber is pretty stuffed, I had a harder time to figure out how to mount the ball valve while avoiding the cables etc.

And this is how the second chamber looks right now.

Now hereīs the deal, the SSD issue with the text and emblem which would have been displayed the wrong way, rotated by 180° had to be modified one more time.

Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel by eg. trying to create a plotted Text which would look strange since I donīt know which font was used by the manufacturer, why not try to restore the original looks again?

I made a label with the right dimensions by using a high resolution picture of the product as a basis, printed it on high quality photographic paper and attached it to the SSD. In conclusion I think that it looks better this way too.

The reservoir is dark, the power supply too and now the SSD again.

The flow indicator is mounted before the input port of the reservoir. I had to use a Alphacool Eiszapfen L-connector G1/4 inner thread to G1/4 inner thread - Chrome for this purpose.

The yellow side is better in the end since itīs easier to spot and also fits the color of the PCBs used for my RGB Controller pretty well.

The ball valve also fits inside the second chamber. I used a Alphacool Eiszapfen screw plug G1/4 - deep black as a safety measure since Iīll have to transport this project later. This way Iīm pretty sure that the fluid will stay inside the system and the ball valve wonīt play any tricks on me

Did I mention that thereīs barely a distance of a few mm between the Plexiglas and the screw plug left?

This is why I couldnīt use a regular L-connector.

Barely any space left, just have a look at how close the stuff is mounted next to my RGB Controller.

Last but not least I also got some Alphacool tubing AlphaTube HF 13/10 (3/8"ID) - clear. I wasnīt sure if I want to use glossy looking tubing or something else. The other tubing looks a bit more elegant. Just a matter of taste.

And now attach the side panel. The reservoir got a small and shiny emblem which looks like polished copper.

Itīs better than having to stare at a large and dark block?

Letīs connect some tubing in the other chamber too.

Quite a tight fit.

Iīm not sure if Iīm going to use some L-connectors in the end. For now I tried one Alphacool Eiszapfen L-connector G1/4 inner thread to G1/4 inner thread - Chrome which looks nice.

Letīs attach the 240 Radiator. The 120mm Fans could easily hurt your fingers, this is why I decided to use 2x regular 120mm Fan Grills.

I also got 2 of these: Fan Grill for axial fans for 120mm - Chrome

These regular Fan Grills are still better than the original Fan Grill which I had to remove with the Dremel Clone.

Letīs use some more of these nice M5 Torx Screws, even if you donīt see the Fans

Thatīs it for now.

Tags
aquatuning, casemod, jonsbo, water cooled

View Mode