bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 2nd Dec 2009, 15:10   #181
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
in linux can you turn HDD's off or "power save"?? i've only dealt with servers and never thought about it until now, i normally run CentOS or Suse.
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2010, 14:20   #182
ShakeyJake
My name is actually 'Jack'.

ShakeyJake is definitely a rep cheat.ShakeyJake is definitely a rep cheat.ShakeyJake is definitely a rep cheat.ShakeyJake is definitely a rep cheat.ShakeyJake is definitely a rep cheat.ShakeyJake is definitely a rep cheat.ShakeyJake is definitely a rep cheat.ShakeyJake is definitely a rep cheat.ShakeyJake is definitely a rep cheat.ShakeyJake is definitely a rep cheat.ShakeyJake is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteGlamour View Post
Security status looks good...so what?

I suggest you to buy antivirus software. Personally, I dont trust these free thingies. Im paying for a good program and never experienced any problems. The only thing I get to see about viruses is the programs message "virus warning" and "action blocked"
Huh? Is this in response to a particular post or just a general comment? I'm pleased your antivirus is working.
Old 20th Mar 2010, 14:31   #183
Skutbag
Supermodder

Skutbag has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Openoffice is the gateway drug to full-on Linux. Microsoft pushed me that way by releasing the latest Office version, so I thought, if I have to try something new, might as well be free!

Then my XP install went kersplat, and I'm sitting here using Ubuntu thinking: 'Do I REALLY want to go back to Windows?'. As usual, the drawback is all my games and apps that run on XP. Example, I did manage to get Photoshop working on Ubuntu thru WINE - but struggling to get the graphics tablet to work properly!

So I have a new found respect for any developers who make their software compatible with Linux as they are the only reason I still choose Windows. And of course hats off to all the skilled volunteers making all this great free software in the first place- there is some good in the world
I'll take this opportunity to list some great games that may have missed your attention: Alpha Centauri, Max Payne 2, XCOM 1, Supreme Commander, a Rogue-alike of some description, Open Transport Tycoon, Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil, Homeworld 2. At least Google one- It'll be worth it.
Skutbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2010, 12:00   #184
songzila
Minimodder

songzila has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ubuntu 10.4 rocks,, just installed it and i am already loving it.
songzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2010, 04:21   #185
songzila
Minimodder

songzila has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
just wondering if i could install ubuntu server with gui?
songzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2010, 08:08   #186
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Yeah, you should just need to install it:

Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg x-window-system-core
Should give you the basic X window manager.

Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg x-window-system-core gnome gdm
Should give you X with the gnome desktop/window manager.

I'm sure more knowledgeable people than me can correct that if it's wrong.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2010, 11:20   #187
Zoon
Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Zoon is definitely a rep cheat.Zoon is definitely a rep cheat.Zoon is definitely a rep cheat.Zoon is definitely a rep cheat.Zoon is definitely a rep cheat.Zoon is definitely a rep cheat.Zoon is definitely a rep cheat.Zoon is definitely a rep cheat.Zoon is definitely a rep cheat.Zoon is definitely a rep cheat.Zoon is definitely a rep cheat.
I think Ubuntu's "preferred" gui is KDE, but other than that, the above should work.

Click me for a signup bonus on TopCashBack. I'm at 280 cashback over two years. Didn't pay a higher rate to get it, just clicked a link first.
Zoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2010, 11:35   #188
aradreth
Supermodder

aradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysisaradreth can run Crysis
Nah ubuntu is focused on gnome, kuduntu is the KDE version.
aradreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2010, 22:35   #189
Riddick
Percussionist

Riddick has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice guide! Cheers for sharing the info, just set Kbuntu 10.04 up on my nan and grandad's laptop because Vista was too slow
Given that they know nothing about computers they think it's brilliant!
Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 08:44   #190
raheem
What's a Dremel?

raheem has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
very cool explaining.. thanks
raheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2010, 01:56   #191
SMILE_:D
What's a Dremel?

SMILE_:D has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoon View Post
I think Ubuntu's "preferred" gui is KDE, but other than that, the above should work.
Ubuntu uses gnome, but its moving to Unity desktop. Kubuntu ships with KDE
SMILE_:D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2011, 12:46   #192
password
Minimodder

password has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
very nice guide
password is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 15:32   #193
pankajchandel
Banned

pankajchandel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
awesome
I really loved the list of software...
pankajchandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2011, 15:12   #194
D3s3rt_F0x
Hypermodder

D3s3rt_F0x has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Libre office > Open Office btw
"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too." - JFK
D3s3rt_F0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2011, 21:53   #195
lp rob1
I *am* a Dremel

lp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Unity is awful in my opinion - as well as Linus Torvalds'. It makes getting to your favourite software quicker, but has the major drawback of being so much harder to access your other software. And, as Linus pointed out, makes it hard to start a second instance of a program. Instead of the standard Applications button, followed by a scroll over the category, then the program - it has been changed to Massive-Button-in-the-Left-Corner, then Massive-Magnifying-Glass-Icon, then Show more, followed by the application.

Thankfully, Ubuntu has the option at log-in to switch to Ubuntu Classic. This uses the old Gnome 2 interface with panels (task bars). I personally use this arrangement, but when Ubuntu becomes Unity only, I'm switching to a different distro.
Old 31st Aug 2011, 07:50   #196
gl0wcactus
What's a Dremel?

gl0wcactus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Unity...

I don't like Unity neither. It looks too much like tablet UI... So I use normal Gnome desktop. Unity is not for computers, it is for tablets.
gl0wcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2011, 10:29   #197
Durd
Multimodder

Durd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp rob1 View Post
Unity is awful in my opinion - as well as Linus Torvalds'. It makes getting to your favourite software quicker, but has the major drawback of being so much harder to access your other software. And, as Linus pointed out, makes it hard to start a second instance of a program. Instead of the standard Applications button, followed by a scroll over the category, then the program - it has been changed to Massive-Button-in-the-Left-Corner, then Massive-Magnifying-Glass-Icon, then Show more, followed by the application.

Thankfully, Ubuntu has the option at log-in to switch to Ubuntu Classic. This uses the old Gnome 2 interface with panels (task bars). I personally use this arrangement, but when Ubuntu becomes Unity only, I'm switching to a different distro.
I thought Linus' gripe was with GNOME Shell, I didn't know he said anything on Unity?
Durd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2011, 10:48   #198
Coltch
Multimodder

Coltch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Tried Ubuntu with Unity, quickly got rid of and went to Fedora 15
Coltch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2011, 12:16   #199
Durd
Multimodder

Durd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltch View Post
Tried Ubuntu with Unity, quickly got rid of and went to Fedora 15
Ya, shell seems far more polished than Unity, and with a few extensions you can get it working a lot like gnome 2.
Durd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2011, 12:58   #200
Coltch
Multimodder

Coltch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durd View Post
Ya, shell seems far more polished than Unity, and with a few extensions you can get it working a lot like gnome 2.
In fairness I've never really got on with Ubuntu, have had more luck with vanilla Debian and Fedora.
Coltch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
*nix, gnu, linux, open source