bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 19th Jul 2007, 22:44   #61
SPQQKY
Evil Modder

SPQQKY has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
It's all done CLI in that guide... So I don't understand what you need to uncheck...

Just exit X by doing
Code:
ctrl+alt+F1
sudo su
/etc/init.d/gdm stop
Then,
Code:
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Search for the resolution line, alter it, save and exit

And restart XJust exit X by doing
Code:
/etc/init.d/gdm start

???????????????????

I don't have a clue as to anything you just posted....LOL.

EDIT: You see, it's crap like this.............
"If you wish to install the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver on a Debian GNU/Linux or Ubuntu system that ships with Xorg 7.x, please ensure that your system meets the following requirements:

* development tools like make and gcc are installed
* the linux-headers package matching the installed Linux kernel is installed
* the pkg-config and xserver-xorg-dev packages are installed
* the nvidia-glx package has been uninstalled with the --purge option and the files /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx and /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel do not exist
If you use Ubuntu, please also ensure that the linux-restricted-modules or linux-restricted-modules-common packages have been uninstalled. Alternatively, you can edit the /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules or /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common configuration file and disable the NVIDIA linux-restricted kernel modules (nvidia, nvidia_legacy) via:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"
Additionally, delete the following file if it exists:
rm -f /lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed"

.....that has kept me from using Linux and I already have a feeling I'm done with it. All this trouble for something that I cannot see offers me anything that Windows can't.

Last edited by SPQQKY; 19th Jul 2007 at 22:53.
SPQQKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2007, 23:14   #62
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Linux is a choice... and with a choice comes consequences... I think following guides like those is dead easy... They explain every step and every click... But that's a personal thing...

You should stick to Windows I guess...
Old 19th Jul 2007, 23:55   #63
SPQQKY
Evil Modder

There are no drivers available to support my card under linux it would appear, it's too new.
Old 20th Jul 2007, 00:58   #64
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
nvidia has decent Linux support tough... ATI has next to none
Old 20th Jul 2007, 02:25   #65
SPQQKY
Evil Modder

After installing Envy, I got the drivers installed, but it still won't let me change to any resolution above 1024 and it dropped my refresh rate to 50hz. My eyes are bleeding now.

EDIT: Alas my monitor is at native resolution. I can now begin to comfortably get familiar with this OS. I may have some questions down the road, but I'll make a new thread when I do. Thanks all for your help.

EDIT # 2 : Update manager popped up and so I installed the updates, now I cannot boot to Ubuntu, I just get garbled text I cannot read. Here comes those "F&@k, $h17, d@mn1t to all 4e11!!!!"

Last edited by SPQQKY; 20th Jul 2007 at 03:25.
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 05:29   #66
SPQQKY
Evil Modder

So I totally forgot that you have to reinstall drivers for the graphics card after updating the kernel. Luckily it was easy to fix with Envy installed. On second reboot I was able to read the error report, then it was simple to just type in the text only terminal envy -t. This let me first uninstall the nvidia drivers, then reinstall them and I was back in business. After a couple of shaky installs of needed codecs (thanks Ubuntu forums) for video playback and mp3 conversion, I am able to do what I originally wanted Linux for, multimedia. I'll stick with my Vista install for games (don't do much of it anyway until some of the new dx10 games are out), but it was actually a fun learning experience this time around.
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 11:56   #67
Glider
/dev/null

Glad it starts to turn out for you, see, Linux isn't that Evil
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 15:07   #68
g3n3tiX
resident frenchy

g3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice guide, I might turn to the penguin some day...

Where is VLC ??
Old 4th Aug 2007, 10:27   #69
Blind was Mingson
What's a Dremel?

Blind was Mingson has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQQKY View Post
Okay, must've been a bad download, I've got 7.04 32-bit installed now.
learn to md5, nub.

You might wanna try sabayon if you have a new computer. No use having linux without beryl.
Blind was Mingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2007, 16:51   #70
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind was Mingson View Post
No use having linux without beryl.
Ubuntu now comes with Beryl as standard. It's not enabled by default as some GFX cards don't like it. *cough*ATI*cough
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2007, 03:51   #71
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post
Ubuntu now comes with Beryl as standard. It's not enabled by default as some GFX cards don't like it. *cough*ATI*cough
I tried Beryl in Mepis on an ATI AIW 9600 - runs smooth
Old 5th Aug 2007, 08:24   #72
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyinsar View Post
I tried Beryl in Mepis on an ATI AIW 9600 - runs smooth
Yes, but to game as well requires ATi's proprietary driver "fglrx".
To use fglrx & Beryl together requires switching to the (extremely flaky) XGL video layer as fglrx doesn't have the required "Composite extension"
At least that was the situation I faced before my 9600XT died.

Which is why I'm saving my pennies for a shiny 8800GTS before reactivating Beryl.
Old 5th Aug 2007, 19:26   #73
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Well, that would explain it. I don't use Linux for games so I don't face that problem.
Old 7th Aug 2007, 03:55   #74
SPQQKY
Evil Modder

Quote:
learn to md5, nub.

You might wanna try sabayon if you have a new computer. No use having linux without beryl.
Why would I need beryl? I don't game with linux nor do I want much flashy stuff going on.
Suddenly, I can't see my ntfs drives any more. I had them mounted and used ntfs -config to enable writing, everything was fine but after a reboot I can no longer see them.
Old 7th Aug 2007, 06:43   #75
Glider
/dev/null

Quote:
learn to md5, nub.
It's exactly this attitude that makes Linux seem elite...

Quote:
Sabayon is Gentoo based. Alltought it takes care of the install it's still Gentoo based.

Beryl on the other hand is nice and flashy for 10 minutes, and then it's a pain in the butt slowing things down...
Old 7th Aug 2007, 13:40   #76
SPQQKY
Evil Modder

Quote:
learn to md5, nub.

Thanks Glider.......I know what md5 is too, the disk was supposedly fine. I redownloaded it and guess what, the second DL worked, but I've been using 32-bit just fine. As I posted above, don't need the flashy crap offered by beryl, it offers no functionality for me. Thanks for registering and making your first post a bash at me, you're the one acting like a nub....n00b, whatever....punk.
And my above problem was simple......
Quote:
Suddenly, I can't see my ntfs drives any more. I had them mounted and used ntfs -config to enable writing, everything was fine but after a reboot I can no longer see them.
The last time I was in Winblows, explorer hung like a mofo, so I just hit the reset button. Because it wasn't a clean shutdown, Linux was smart enough not to mount the drives and all I had to do was go back to winblows and make sure it shut down cleanly.
Old 9th Aug 2007, 12:54   #77
Woodstock
So Say We All

Woodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
No use having linux without beryl.
i disagree, no use in having beryl

i5-4670 | Asrock Q87M vPro | Corsair DDR3 16GB | 2x Intel 530 180GB | 9TB of misc spining disks | ATI 7870 | Corsiar something case | Dual boot ArchLinux and Windows 7 (aka game launcher)
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 11:50   #78
D3s3rt_F0x
Hypermodder

D3s3rt_F0x has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice guide considering trying out Linux soon on a spare PC I got knocking about and looks like evetrything I need to get cracking.
D3s3rt_F0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 19:00   #79
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
i disagree, no use in having beryl
Actually, there is ONE use for Beryl/Compiz/whatever it's called this week:-

Shutting up the Vista fanbois talking about their Aero Glass interface!
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 22:07   #80
Woodstock
So Say We All

Woodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post
Actually, there is ONE use for Beryl/Compiz/whatever it's called this week:-

Shutting up the Vista fanbois talking about their Aero Glass interface!
yeah but no real use for it

i5-4670 | Asrock Q87M vPro | Corsair DDR3 16GB | 2x Intel 530 180GB | 9TB of misc spining disks | ATI 7870 | Corsiar something case | Dual boot ArchLinux and Windows 7 (aka game launcher)
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
*nix, gnu, linux, open source