bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 29th Apr 2009, 10:51   #21
Macros_the_Black
Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Macros_the_Black has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've added some tools over the past week. I've also started adding names for the tools in different languages (as suggested in post #13)... haven't gotten very far yet, but with some help from you bi/multi-lingual tool gurus out there it shouldn't take too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talladega View Post
I've heard that with tile saws it's good to use a dull blade for cutting acrylic. True?
I'd like to know the answer to this one as well. Anyone? Cheap?

My sincere gratitude goes out to all of you who has contributed to this dictionary so far!!!!!

In order of appearance:

Cheapskate
Dark~3nergy
Langer
notatoad
Bindibadgi (for the sticky)
overdosedelusion
The_Beast

(I apologize if I left somebody out)

Speaking of contributions, I would very much appreciate some links to suitable tool images. Tool texts and links updates are welcome to!!

Last edited by Macros_the_Black; 29th Apr 2009 at 10:57. Reason: fixed :thumb: smiley
Macros_the_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2009, 17:44   #22
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The fewer diamonds on the sides of the blade, the cleaner the cut will be on a wetsaw. -It cuts slow as hell, though. I cut some 1 1/4" thick stuff with a completely shot blade, and the cut surface was clean enough to see inside the plastic.

Also...I don't recommend that particular saw, just the table-top type.

Last edited by Cheapskate; 29th Apr 2009 at 17:50.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2009, 18:09   #23
notatoad
pretty fing wonderful

notatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
a few image links for you: C-clamp, f-style bar clamp, quick grip style bar clamp, vise grip (standard/sheetmetal/C-type)
Old 29th Apr 2009, 21:11   #24
Macros_the_Black

@Cheap: thanx! Added link to post #22 under tile saw.
heh.. woops ...fixed

@notatoad: Sweet! Will add later. *bowing*
Old 29th Apr 2009, 21:15   #25
ComputerKing

ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
nice guide man well done buddy

The King Of CK Appreciation Society Group
ComputerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 14:07   #26
Macros_the_Black

Thanx CK ^_^

Ok, I've spent a few hours on finding pics, resizing + thumbnailing, uploading, and adding the "Threads" category tools and accesories. *wipes forehead* (This stuff actually takes much more time than I had anticipated)

Another addition is swedish names for every tool that I know the name for. Now I need YOUR help *dresses up like Uncle Sam and points out from your screen* to add names in other languages as well!

That's it for now... I need to feed asap!!! B[¨

PS. Once again my cincere gratitude to all who has contributed so far!
Old 4th May 2009, 14:42   #27
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
How about for the clamp section:

A corner clamp - massively useful for holding plexi and other materials at a right angle. I got these from Harbor freight in the US

I have many kinds of clamps. slipperyskip and others would have more for woodworking than I do.

john
Old 5th May 2009, 18:44   #28
Macros_the_Black

Thanx for the tip John!

Added the "Clamps and Vises" section.

Does anyone have any suggestions on more sections for the stuff in the "Miscellaneous" section? I'm thinking "Drilling", containing all the drilling machines, bits and accessories.
Old 8th May 2009, 21:18   #29
notatoad
pretty fing wonderful

notatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
a couple more additions:

channel lock pliers or plumber's grips for gripping round things like pipes

aviation snips or tinsnips for really rough cuts of thin metal. don's use these unless there is no alternative.

thickness planer trims a piece of wood to an even thickness

jointer squares the edge of a piece of rough lumber link

speed square, tri-square, framing square (probably not worth cluttering things up with all those, but should at least include one.)

Last edited by notatoad; 8th May 2009 at 21:32.
notatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 09:58   #30
Macros_the_Black

Thank you, thank you, thank you notatoad!!!!! *hugs*

Heh, how could I ever forget the trusty old thin snips!? I've used mine with great success on my own mods (granted, you will have to take care to only cut very little (when cutting curves) with each 'bite' and press the top jaw against the sheet metal letting the lower jaw go up and down, or it might warp your work piece... also you _will have to_ file your edges, but that holds true for almost any other cutting tool as well).

Excellent, absolutely excellent! I will add these as soon as I have time. =D

Added the 'Measuring' section with squares and steel ruler in it (so far).

[edit] Added the channel lock and tin/aviation snips to the 'Miscellaneous' section. [/edit]

Last edited by Macros_the_Black; 12th May 2009 at 10:13.
Old 15th May 2009, 10:36   #31
Delphium
Eyefinity enabled

Delphium has yet to learn the way of the DremelDelphium has yet to learn the way of the DremelDelphium has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Compressed Air

Can be found here
Great for cleaning dust from fans / heat sinks / radiators / grills.

Screw Driver Set

Assorted collection of different sized Philips (cross head) and Flat head screw drivers.

Paint Gun (power coating)

Used to paint metals... unsure about plastics or glass.

More to come soon.
| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Dominator 16GB @1600mhz 8-8-8-24 2T Quad-Channel (8x2GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | All working on Win7 Ultimate x64 |

Last edited by Delphium; 15th May 2009 at 11:34.
Delphium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 18:07   #32
Macros_the_Black

Oooooo!! 8D Thanx a bunch Delphium!!!! *worshipping* Added as they are to the 'miscellaneous' section.

Questions (I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I very much appreciate your contribution!!!!!) :

1) Will those pics be hosted for a very long time? (I've put all other pics in albums here on bit-tech, so as long as bit-tech is online the pics will be as well)

2) Do you have links to the original pics? I have made all other pics 'zoomable', thought I might do the same with these.

Many many thanx again, this saved me at least 30 min work!!! =D =D =D (Yes it takes a long time to find, edit and upload good pics and then type stuff about em <=\)

[edit]
@All: Oh, and sorry for being so slow with adding all those other tools suggested and on the to-add-list, I blame work fatigue (not laziness! ). Will put down a few hours on monday (day off) to add a few more tool. I'm working this weekend so there will probably not be any updates until after.
Thanx again to everyone who has helped out so far!!!
[/edit]

Last edited by Macros_the_Black; 15th May 2009 at 19:22.
Old 16th May 2009, 16:21   #33
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Scroll saw / (fret saw)
Figursåg

Weapon of choice when cutting out intricate designs...
Those are not Scroll saws. Those are "table jigsaws". At least in Brazil.

Just made a search and and realized that you were right after all.
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 09:05   #34
Macros_the_Black

Ok x2 =) Thanx for taking the time to check for errors!

BTW, what's the name for scroll saw in Portuguese? I'd like to add that to the dictionary.

[edit]
Added Air compressor, Jointer and Thickness planer.

Found a super nice tool for finding good tool images -> Similar Images @ Google Labs . Works like the regular google image search, but with 'Similar images' links (if available) beneath the pics. Works like a charm on some pics, and provides some... ehm.. interesting results on others.

For example, searching for 'monkey' and then clicking 'similar images' on the first pic...

...produced this (and some better matched pics)....

BTW, the thumbs are clickable (just like (almost) every other pic in this dictionary).
[/edit]

Last edited by Macros_the_Black; 18th May 2009 at 13:41.
Old 20th May 2009, 02:56   #35
[OODBALL]
What's a Dremel?

[OODBALL] has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
cnc mill
http://www.hipshing.com.cn/mjsj-sb/8.JPG
[OODBALL] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 03:37   #36
notatoad
pretty fing wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macros_the_Black View Post
serching for monkey...

...produced this (and some better matched pics)....

how awesome would it be if you knew that guy? i think my new goal is to get my brother onto the similar images list for some disgusting animal

/thread derailment over.
Old 23rd May 2009, 21:12   #37
ModMinded
Are you throwing that away?

ModMinded has yet to learn the way of the DremelModMinded has yet to learn the way of the DremelModMinded has yet to learn the way of the DremelModMinded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macros_the_Black View Post
I've added some tools over the past week. I've also started adding names for the tools in different languages (as suggested in post #13)... haven't gotten very far yet, but with some help from you bi/multi-lingual tool gurus out there it shouldn't take too long.

I'd like to know the answer to this one as well. Anyone? Cheap?

My sincere gratitude goes out to all of you who has contributed to this dictionary so far!!!!!

In order of appearance:

Cheapskate
Dark~3nergy
Langer
notatoad
Bindibadgi (for the sticky)
overdosedelusion
The_Beast

(I apologize if I left somebody out)

Speaking of contributions, I would very much appreciate some links to suitable tool images. Tool texts and links updates are welcome to!!
This is a great idea Macros, and great thread.
Couple suggestions:
1)to get more people submitting, it might provide incentive to have the names of contributors in the first post

2)i'd suggest a drill bits section in and of itself (maybe subsections under drills and mills and dremels)
You could put the unibit, hole cutter, holesaw there plus others of import.

3)Maybe a small section on tool usage guides, links of course.

Glass/tile Drill bit: http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2...-TWD00023-.jpg

Acrylic Drill bit: The orac3 article here on bit-tech has some great pics of a set: http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2003...orac3_part1/13

Wikipedia link on drill bits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit

Lots more... I'll help out when and how I can...
Old 24th May 2009, 02:49   #38
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Would adhesives be useful in a tool thread? I have at least 3 kinds of IPS Weld-on in different thicknesses, super glues, Gorilla glues, J.B. Weld, 2 part epoxy putty,etc.

john
Old 24th May 2009, 04:47   #39
ModMinded
Are you throwing that away?

ModMinded has yet to learn the way of the DremelModMinded has yet to learn the way of the DremelModMinded has yet to learn the way of the DremelModMinded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
O definitely!

Needle nose syringe/applicator for acrylic glue (aka ips weldon)
http://www.reality.net/case/photos/t...rylic-bond.jpg
Best way to bond plexi!

Adhesion... did we already put up duct tape (aka duck tape)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileUCT.gif

What about a fasteners section?
You could have rivets, nut serts (aka threadserts), as well as various screw types, such as found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw#Shapes_of_screw_head

I find it hilarious that that second link still works... but then again, i've been drinking.
Old 24th May 2009, 13:58   #40
Macros_the_Black

@[OODBALL]:
Thanx. I'm thinking about having the same pics for CNC mills and lathes both. Perhaps pics like these:

or perhaps go the hobby cnc way and use pics like this one:

Sometimes it's really hard for me to chose the right pic. What says 'CNC' to me, might not do the same for someone else.
What do you all think about this??

@notatoad:
LOL! If you name the pic of your brother the same as the ugly animal pic, the chances of success should increase. ;P =D

@ModMinded #1:
Actually, it was Oclocker that hatched the idea, I just happen to be the first to act on it..... a year later. <=) Thanks! ^_^

1) Good idea! Perhaps I should make a 'wall of fame' in a [ code ] box like this:
Code:
            Cheapskate         Dark~3nergy          Langer         notatoad
            Bindibadgi       overdosedelusion      The_Beast      jhanlon303
             Delphium           [OODBALL]          ModMinded
Perhaps I should only put ppl on the list who contribute with something that is actually added to the dictionary or help improve it in other ways (like ideas and such). I mean, you can't just post a link to any half ass picture. You must be able to recognize the tool on the picture _quickly_ while you scroll down the thread. Preferably with single color background and a easy to read silhouette. Also, it's good if the original pic is large enough to make it "zoom-able".
What do you all think about this??

2) Hmm, yeah.. it might be cleaner with a separate drill bit section. If not, it will at least be easier to decide what goes into that section. Cause, a 'Drilling' section might include a mill and lathe as well... but I don't really want to place em in there with the drill bits, especially not if we will add mill bits and stuff like that later. So for simplicity I think I'll go with the separate drill bit section... or just put mills, lathes and their tooling into a 'Mills and lathes' section. Hehe, I sound really confused, don't I? That's why I need your help! <=)

3) As I have planned it now, the tools that can use guides should have such links posted after the tool description text (see Dremel or Jigsaw for example. Heh, the Jigsaw could use a better tool description. ).
What do you think about the current set up with;
1. tool name
2. names in other languages
3. picture
4. description text
5. links to usage guides and other useful information
Do you think we need a separate tools guide section?

Thanx for the Glass/tile Drill bit pic link!! =D

Hmm, too bad the image is so small. A close up of the point/tip of the drills would have been better. Thanx for the tip though, I'll try to find some plexi-point drill bit pics later.

Thanx, I've started gathering pictures and links for the drill bit section and that wiki link is in the collection. =)

@jhanlon303:
Hmm... perhaps... if we can find a collection of images of different glues from around the world. I mean, a picture of one brand/model might not mean anything to someone from another country/continent. But I do agree that it is very useful info, and it would be great to have a section on glues/adhesives.... that is, IF we can make it work with the pics.

@ModMinded #2:
That syringe/applicator would be great to show in a "usage guide"! ..or would it be better to have it as a tool under 'Glues and adhesives'?

Hehe, duct tape is a must... must find a bigger pic though (it's only 115 px tall, which is less than the 150 px required... and yes, I am a bit anal).

Oooo!! Yes, most definitely! We must have a fasteners section! Then I can throw riveter, rivets and rivet nuts in there as well so they don't have to float around in the 'miscellaneous' section. Great idea!!

Hehe, yeah.. I was quite skeptical my self before I clicked it.

Last edited by Macros_the_Black; 28th May 2009 at 11:22.

Tags
dictionary, tools

View Mode