Old 17th Jul 2009, 17:20   #141
Floyd
Wire Twister

Floyd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What is it if you dont mind me asking?
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2009, 17:24   #142
Mankz

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
A reservior design. Its missing its top sheet of acrylic.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2009, 16:24   #143
Mo0ts
wants cookies

Mo0ts has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just wanted to say how extremely impressive some of the work is in this thread esp metric you have inspired me to work on my(limited) design skills.

I asked the guys at work to render some component designs for me last week and their stuff was not even half as good tbh - gonna show them this on Monday and watch the reaction
Mo0ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2009, 18:10   #144
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Babbage:

Ada (a NAS):

The matching set:

Metaversa 02 (unfinished concept):

"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams"

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2009, 12:13   #145
Bufo802
Supermodder

Bufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run Crysis
Does anyone know any good guides to solidworks, got the 2008 student version from school and have worked through quite a few of the tutorials though find it quite tricky to use and get the shape that I want in the end.

Thanks for any help.
Bufo802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2009, 13:05   #146
jezmck
I Mod, Therefore I Own

jezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
...Metaversa 02 (unfinished concept):...
Wow, I remember Metaversa 01...
Old 19th Jul 2009, 20:45   #147
Metric
has a bazooka

Metric has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufo802 View Post
Does anyone know any good guides to solidworks, got the 2008 student version from school and have worked through quite a few of the tutorials though find it quite tricky to use and get the shape that I want in the end.

Thanks for any help.
I actually found it quite difficult to find any good tutorials on Solidworks, despite its popularity .
Have you tried working on your designs in Google Sketchup? Both are solid-based modelers, and for me, after working a lot in Sketchup, the transition to Solidworks was almost seamless.

Do you have a rough sketch or picture of what you're trying to make in SW? I might be able to help you (still a newbie himself)
Metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2009, 21:13   #148
Bufo802
Supermodder

Bufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run Crysis
I haven't used it for a month or so now and am looking to try again, it was when I was trying to design the nosecone and chassis for my schools entry to the greenpower competition that I was having problems and haven't had time to give it a proper go since.

The previous comment wasn't about a specific problem though just a general thing, the main problem I was having was getting things to join up and fill in properly.

If there aren't that many guides I'll use sketchup for now and keep trying with solidworks, was just hoping that someone here knew of a decent one to make it a bit easier. This is mainly due to seeing the quality of some of the models here and it would be a nice challenge to set myself over the summer holidays (I know I won't get anywhere as near as good as some of them but I'd like to be able to make passable models).
Old 19th Jul 2009, 23:36   #149
HaoKi
Lleno de anguilas!

HaoKi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Solidworks really is one of the most user-friendly 3D-CAD programs which I've used at work. After you figure out the work-flow, using it is pretty straight forward, but you'll still learn new things after a couple of years I've actually prefered the Solidworks UI over Sketchups from the beginning, but maybe my brain just doesn't function normally

Eutanasia: Q6600 g0 @ 3,6Ghz, DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS, 4Gb G.Skill @ 912mhz 5-4-4-4, HD4870 CrossfireX, 200gb WD... Article: Metku.net
HaoKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2009, 11:01   #150
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
I haven't used it for a month or so now and am looking to try again, it was when I was trying to design the nosecone and chassis for my schools entry to the greenpower competition that I was having problems and haven't had time to give it a proper go since.

The previous comment wasn't about a specific problem though just a general thing, the main problem I was having was getting things to join up and fill in properly.

If there aren't that many guides I'll use sketchup for now and keep trying with solidworks, was just hoping that someone here knew of a decent one to make it a bit easier. This is mainly due to seeing the quality of some of the models here and it would be a nice challenge to set myself over the summer holidays (I know I won't get anywhere as near as good as some of them but I'd like to be able to make passable models).
The surface modeling tool comes in very handy for areodynamic profiles. Use of guide lines and mirror tool.

I would model one half of the item, then mirror it that way i know its perfect.

Side note, my render farm...

The yellow dragon spec

AMD opteron 165 @2.4GHz, 2GB, X800XT PE

Black Dragon Spec (newly built)

Intel Pentium E2160 @ 2.25GHz (still clocking), 4GB and a very sorry Geforce 2 PCI (soon to swap out for something that can display 1280x1024 32bit, good lord!)

Maxwell network rendering now allows for me to add, my Q6600, Opty 165 and E2160. 8 core rendering! Not bad for a home setup

EDIT,

Rendering to stress the new system to make sure it can cope with constant load. SL14 took 3 hours, two of which maxwell render was set as low priority most annoying!

i7 930, GA-X58-USB3, 12GB Kingston, GTX980, 240GB Cruical SSD, 1Tb Seagate, WC

Last edited by Burnout21; 20th Jul 2009 at 16:50.
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jul 2009, 19:31   #151
Bufo802
Supermodder

Does anyone know if it is to possible to add the toolbox to solidworks after installation when you don't have the disk?

Just been doing some online tutorials I found which required the use of it and it looked like it made things a bit easier.
Old 21st Jul 2009, 19:54   #152
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Does anyone know if it is to possible to add the toolbox to solidworks after installation when you don't have the disk?

Just been doing some online tutorials I found which required the use of it and it looked like it made things a bit easier.
not sure, as ive always installed office premium which includes the toolbox as standard.

Old 21st Jul 2009, 20:36   #153
Metric
has a bazooka

Testing out a few Maxwell materials before adding them to the tutorial:

Hammered nickel plating finish
Old 21st Jul 2009, 20:46   #154
Cryptic
What's a Dremel?

Cryptic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
Testing out a few Maxwell materials before adding them to the tutorial:

Hammered nickel plating finish
wow this is great guys and nice tut! i'm horrible with this stuff ish.. mainly because i haven't done enough with any of the software but started working with 3ds max and maya recently so we'll see if i improve lol
Cryptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jul 2009, 21:37   #155
Nanosec
absit iniuria verbis

Nanosec has yet to learn the way of the DremelNanosec has yet to learn the way of the DremelNanosec has yet to learn the way of the DremelNanosec has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
STICKEY

Can we get a moderator to chop out the tut and sticky it? Great stuff in there, and based on the post count popular stuff as well.

Nanosec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 07:21   #156
bentleya
Lian Li Snail :)

bentleya has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbentleya has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosec View Post
Can we get a moderator to chop out the tut and sticky it? Great stuff in there, and based on the post count popular stuff as well.

No i think it needs to be put in the OP, then the whole thread sticked
bentleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 16:01   #157
Floyd
Wire Twister

Floyd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Man I need to get a newer version of solidworks and start on my torture rack case again.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2009, 08:59   #158
Metric
has a bazooka

I got a few requests for a Maxwell Materials tutorial, I'll try to get that one out as soon as possible (hopefully sometime this week, aiming for Thursday or the weekend).
Old 28th Jul 2009, 09:28   #159
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Strangely the best IOR file i have found for hammered nickel is concrete, works out ok. Shall tweak it around and post a render soon. So little time and too much to do!

Old 29th Jul 2009, 22:25   #160
Atad
What's a Dremel?

Atad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It took longer to render than to create.
Modelled in Sketchup (chess pieces from 3D Warehouse) and rendered in Hypershot.
Pls comment since this is my first post here.
Cheers!

Last edited by Atad; 29th Jul 2009 at 22:42.
Atad is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode