bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 21st Apr 2010, 23:01   #21
seanbean
Certa Cito

seanbean has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for all this - what an outstanding thread!

Do people have any particular recommendations as to good/reputable on-line component/part suppliers giving "value for money". I'm based in the UK.

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread.
seanbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2010, 18:59   #22
joseph2000
Modder

joseph2000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
great guide!, I'm surprised its not in an article on this website or something, or maybe it is?
joseph2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2010, 22:45   #23
JaredC01
Hardware Nut

JaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbean View Post
Thanks for all this - what an outstanding thread!

Do people have any particular recommendations as to good/reputable on-line component/part suppliers giving "value for money". I'm based in the UK.

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread.
I've got a link for UK-based people at the top... Scan.co.uk is a good place, as well as ebuyer.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph2000 View Post
great guide!, I'm surprised its not in an article on this website or something, or maybe it is?
Not an article, but it is a sticky thread... It's enough for now. Maybe they'll eventually ask me to write an article on it? *wink wink*
|i7 920 @ 3.8 HT On||Corsair H50 Push/Pull||EVGA Classified E760||12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600||MSI GTX 580||X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro||WD HDDs (1TB Boot, 2x 500GB RAID 0 Scratch, 2x 2TB RAID 1 Storage)||Revolution 1050w||Corsair 650D||Dell 3007WFP||Logitech Z5500 // G930||Logitech G510 // Razer Mamba|
--If I helped you, please give me rep!
JaredC01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2010, 18:11   #24
Rilott
What's a Dremel?

Rilott has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Excellent guide!!

Love the pictures, as soon as I get all my components together I'll be sure to revisit this page.
Rilott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 14:25   #25
Bayaz
Minimodder

Bayaz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Intel CPU push pins are terrible. When I was installing the i7 920 cpu I thought all the pins had clicked into place. I wouldn't have noticed that two pins didn't go through fully but for the pre-cut hole in the motherboard tray on the HAF 922 case for CPU cooler backplates. They should seriously rethink this method for the next generation CPUs.
Bayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 03:21   #26
trixla
Minimodder

trixla has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
great guide. I've just finished building my first pc and now i'm looking at what to do now i.e. what bios aspects i need to look out for/change, other tips etc. If it's already on here, please someone point me in the right direction. ta
I7 930 / Asus P6X58D Premium / Corsair XMS3 6 GB / Venomous X push pull S Gentle Typhoons 1850/ MX3 TIM / HX 750W / 2x Samsung F3 ITB / Intel x23 SSD / NZXT Sentry2 / Fractal Design R2 Black / Windows 7 Ult x64 / HP ZR24W
trixla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 10:38   #27
DarrenH
Supermodder

DarrenH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice guide. I'm building my new system at present and there's one thing I would suggest where possible.

Keep your current outdated PC until your build is up and running! This won't apply if you don't have a PC but most people have old systems that just run too slow.

Why is this important? To download drivers, bios updates, manuals, etc. once you know what parts you are going to purchase. Copy these to a USB stick or DVD. Your new PC may not work at first without the latest up to date drivers. It's always good to have a backup plan!
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 17:20   #28
SteveW-87
I haz ur computer genitalia

SteveW-87 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good guide there mate, looks like you spent a good deal of time on it.
One thing i did notice was that you didn't include anything about washers when installing the motherboard? (please correct me if im wrong)

Very small detail but if my first experience of building a pc is anything to go by - making sure you put washers on the screw is essential. if you dont you run the risk of shorting the board as soon as you turn it on (like i did)

As i said, if it is in fact there then my apologies

UE alias: DubbedNavigator
SteveW-87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 20:03   #29
JaredC01
Hardware Nut

JaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Washers on the screws? Never even heard of it... You mean for the motherboard? The motherboard has ground contacts on each of the screw holes to ground the board to the chassis last I knew.
|i7 920 @ 3.8 HT On||Corsair H50 Push/Pull||EVGA Classified E760||12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600||MSI GTX 580||X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro||WD HDDs (1TB Boot, 2x 500GB RAID 0 Scratch, 2x 2TB RAID 1 Storage)||Revolution 1050w||Corsair 650D||Dell 3007WFP||Logitech Z5500 // G930||Logitech G510 // Razer Mamba|
Old 16th May 2010, 20:24   #30
SteveW-87
I haz ur computer genitalia

SteveW-87 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
From what ive seen, there has been a little bag included with the motherboards when they come out of the box. could it just be manufacturer specific then?

UE alias: DubbedNavigator
SteveW-87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 00:01   #31
bogbrain
What's a Dremel?

bogbrain has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great guide. Just the one question with regard to the hard drives /ssd's does it matter whether you connect them to a SATA2 or the GSATA2 connections?
bogbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2010, 04:52   #32
songzila
Minimodder

songzila has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
very well constructed and awesome PC you have there mate.
songzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2010, 04:21   #33
Akuman
Waffles

Akuman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Dear god 3 DVD drives! What on earth are you gonna do with all of em?

Great post, finally a great tutorial I can direct people to regarding pc building.

Perhaps putting in some sort of airflow diagram explaining why you put fans in the direction you put them in. I remember when I built my first pc, I had a bit of trouble in that area (intake fans at both the front and back of the case).
Akuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 08:50   #34
raheem
What's a Dremel?

raheem has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow i am really liking this community,, cool guide
raheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2010, 04:05   #35
JaredC01
Hardware Nut

Sorry for the delays guys, been on vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW-87 View Post
From what ive seen, there has been a little bag included with the motherboards when they come out of the box. could it just be manufacturer specific then?
Could very well be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbrain View Post
Great guide. Just the one question with regard to the hard drives /ssd's does it matter whether you connect them to a SATA2 or the GSATA2 connections?
Either one will work. The GSATA2 connection supports hot-swap, though aside from that there's no real difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songzila View Post
very well constructed and awesome PC you have there mate.
Thanks! It's the 'old' machine now though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuman View Post
Dear god 3 DVD drives! What on earth are you gonna do with all of em?

Great post, finally a great tutorial I can direct people to regarding pc building.

Perhaps putting in some sort of airflow diagram explaining why you put fans in the direction you put them in. I remember when I built my first pc, I had a bit of trouble in that area (intake fans at both the front and back of the case).
Yes 3 DVD drives! Two of them are burners, which makes burning a 100 stack of CDs for a local band go twice as fast, and the third drive is a Kreon drive for making legal backups of my 360 games (won't get into that per the rules).

An airflow diagram wouldn't be bad, though drawing it out for my PC would only help the P182 owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raheem View Post
wow i am really liking this community,, cool guide
Thanks.
Old 14th Aug 2010, 12:35   #36
Spouse
Spouse

Spouse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hello Friendlys

Hello I have read right the way through this thread. Very helpfull. somequestion that I thought were stupid to start with were usefull. On a side note. Thank you for starting this thread JaredC01.

I wondered If someone could have a quick glance at my build plan and give me some quick feed back. Thats if any of you have time.

Kind Regaurds
Spouse

Build Link Below.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=192645
Spouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 16:48   #37
sibster
Minimodder

sibster has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Brill guide mate, some usefull tips for me inthis, i never used to route the cables round the back hence mine always looked like spagetti junction, will defo do that on my new build.

Thanks bud.
sibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2010, 00:11   #38
ubiquity
Minimodder

ubiquity has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Excellent guide, been a few years since I built a pc; wish there had been such a good guide around at that time! I am thinking of building myself a new pc based on you Affordable All-Rounder guide from August 2010, which a friend pointed out to me. Truly exceptional value for money, with very impressive performance!
ubiquity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2010, 13:57   #39
andip1967
Minimodder

andip1967 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Fantastic guide fella, one or two points I will be picking up on in my next build
andip1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2010, 15:28   #40
Snaver
What is a dremel..

Snaver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Excellent guide, thanks for this.
Snaver is offline   Reply With Quote