bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 24th Oct 2010, 15:47   #41
JaredC01
Hardware Nut

JaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Glad the guide is still helping people! Anyone has any suggestion for something else to add, let me know.
|i7 920 @ 3.8 HT On||Corsair H50 Push/Pull||EVGA Classified E760||12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600||MSI GTX 580||X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro||WD HDDs (1TB Boot, 2x 500GB RAID 0 Scratch, 2x 2TB RAID 1 Storage)||Revolution 1050w||Corsair 650D||Dell 3007WFP||Logitech Z5500 // G930||Logitech G510 // Razer Mamba|
--If I helped you, please give me rep!
JaredC01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2010, 23:56   #42
Andrew G
Where's my Crayons!

Andrew G has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
From personal exp of building a few PC's since the early 90's (Intel 486 DX2 66Mhz of powerA) I would add a bit on how most of the connectors are keyed to only fit one way (power). USB headers can be matched easily by taking note of the missing pin as a guide. Tell people what the triangle on the front panel connector is for and such things as HDD activity light in constantly on because its on the the wrong way round.

My 2 cents
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2010, 00:01   #43
Andrew G
Where's my Crayons!

Andrew G has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW-87 View Post
Good guide there mate, looks like you spent a good deal of time on it.
One thing i did notice was that you didn't include anything about washers when installing the motherboard? (please correct me if im wrong)

Very small detail but if my first experience of building a pc is anything to go by - making sure you put washers on the screw is essential. if you dont you run the risk of shorting the board as soon as you turn it on (like i did)

As i said, if it is in fact there then my apologies
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredC01 View Post
Washers on the screws? Never even heard of it... You mean for the motherboard? The motherboard has ground contacts on each of the screw holes to ground the board to the chassis last I knew.
On some of the older cases they use to give you red fibre washers to put between the screw and the motherboard when you would screw the motherboard to the stand off, AFAIK this isn't necessary any more.

Sorry couldn't find a smaller picture (I mean bigger one )

Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2010, 11:42   #44
JaredC01
Hardware Nut

JaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G View Post
From personal exp of building a few PC's since the early 90's (Intel 486 DX2 66Mhz of powerA) I would add a bit on how most of the connectors are keyed to only fit one way (power). USB headers can be matched easily by taking note of the missing pin as a guide. Tell people what the triangle on the front panel connector is for and such things as HDD activity light in constantly on because its on the the wrong way round.

My 2 cents
I go under the assumption that most people who are going to attempt to do a custom build will be intelligent enough to figure out that everything plugs in only one way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G View Post
On some of the older cases they use to give you red fibre washers to put between the screw and the motherboard when you would screw the motherboard to the stand off, AFAIK this isn't necessary any more.

Sorry couldn't find a smaller picture (I mean bigger one )

Yeah, never once came across any of those. :shrug:
|i7 920 @ 3.8 HT On||Corsair H50 Push/Pull||EVGA Classified E760||12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600||MSI GTX 580||X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro||WD HDDs (1TB Boot, 2x 500GB RAID 0 Scratch, 2x 2TB RAID 1 Storage)||Revolution 1050w||Corsair 650D||Dell 3007WFP||Logitech Z5500 // G930||Logitech G510 // Razer Mamba|
Old 4th Nov 2010, 03:17   #45
AfterburneR15
What's a Dremel?

AfterburneR15 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow! thanks a lot dude! just what i need! i'm a newbie,and actually, just got my chassis for my planned gaming rig. do i have to include here my supposed specs? maybe you could give a guide for a newbie liquid-cooling system.
AfterburneR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2010, 18:43   #46
mecblade
14 year old Technophile

mecblade has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmecblade has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmecblade has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
my advice afterburner is to make a new thread under the subtitle build advice. use the template on this link: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=182284

i havent done any watercooling before because of obvious reasons (see my age) but im very sure that you need:

Distilled Water
A Reservoir
A Radiator
A Pump
Waterblocks for whatever you need to watercool (CPU, GPU, RAM, Chipset e.t.c)
You could add dyes to colour youre distilled water.
Tubing

I think after removing the fans and attaching the waterblocks and tubing, you top up the water into the Reservoir and do a 'leak test' to make sure it doesnt go wrong.

I would personally (when i will watercool) attach it like this:

Reservoir (holds the water) -> Pump (pumps (narrr) the water around the setup) -> GPU Waterblock -> CPU Waterblock -> Radiator (to cool the water down) -> Back to the Reservoir.

Of course this depends where you put everything, im basing my setup on a Silverstone TJ07. A extremely good example is this: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=172583. The radiator and pump is under the midplate.

Finally, remember to make sure youre DISTILLED water does not contain Algae and Bacteria using biocide, you wont need it on the first top up but from time to time, add some of the stuff into youre set up.

Of course, i could have got it completely wrong. Its best to make sure a experienced member of this forum tells you.

Last edited by mecblade; 4th Nov 2010 at 19:07.
mecblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2010, 03:43   #47
AfterburneR15
What's a Dremel?

AfterburneR15 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
thanks again!
AfterburneR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2010, 05:03   #48
Siwini
What is 4+no.5?

Siwini has yet to learn the way of the DremelSiwini has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You're so right man. I bought laptop SONY VAIO. Always bought Sony for as long as I can remember, thought top notch pc's most expensive got to be good right?.. I been Sony buyer for years. Well it was right before windows7 came out and I really needed to get myself a laptop. I bought this white sony notebook from best buy - it had vista pre installed on it, but windows7 capable. I thought cool, if windows7 come out I just install on system np. Well anyway I bought windows7 professional spend $299.99 at that time, installed on Sony laptop and it works, but wait what's this?.. All kinds of problems drives, buttons, sounds... I updated all the drives from sony website, but the fn buttons aren't working at all even up to today. When I contacted Sony they told me sir your 1 year warranty now expired, but if pay us $200( I don't remember the exact amount )we will add a plan for you and fix the problems. That set me off when I heard that. I got mad. It's not about the money, but I felt scammed, scammed by Sony. You end up paying crazy $$ and only for a stupid year. All I told them than that I am disappointed that they can NOT stand behind their products, and technical customer service was not appreciated. And now I got my first build, it was tough getting things together, but in the end I got in it and I am glad. I could not done it without help, but man it's so worth it.

Last edited by Siwini; 5th Nov 2010 at 05:12. Reason: Na
Siwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2010, 16:37   #49
spicycoky
How is better than Why

spicycoky has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice! But I see the VGA card is little chokes, Hahaaa...
spicycoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 17:05   #50
john111
Banned

john111 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I got 2 x ATi 5770 1GB with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard but didnt have Physx option
is it worth getting a Nvidia Physx card and can this motherboard fit it?
john111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 13:35   #51
JaredC01
Hardware Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john111 View Post
I got 2 x ATi 5770 1GB with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard but didnt have Physx option
is it worth getting a Nvidia Physx card and can this motherboard fit it?
That's because nVidia owns the rights to PhysX, and AMD (ATI) doesn't support it.

Even if you get a dedicated PhysX card (though you'd be better off with something like an nVidia 9800 GT), the nVidia software would prevent you from using it after it detected an AMD GPU. There are work-arounds, but honestly it's not really worth it in most cases unless you absolutely require PhysX.
Old 28th Dec 2010, 14:56   #52
Max|mo
What's a Dremel?

Max|mo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great guide man, one thing, why is your PSU upside down?
Max|mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 20:52   #53
JaredC01
Hardware Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max|mo View Post
Great guide man, one thing, why is your PSU upside down?
In the P180 you can mount the PSU either direction. I mounted it with the fan pulling air from inside the lower chamber since there weren't any other fans on the bottom to cool the HDDs.
Old 11th Jan 2011, 01:52   #54
watson164
Minimodder

watson164 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice tutorial, especially good pics for cable management as thats one of the easiest places to come unstuck as a new builder
watson164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2011, 13:30   #55
kadombing
Minimodder

kadombing has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Useful indeed, but how about adding the first BIOS setup?
kadombing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 17:34   #56
Ferrero94
Multimodder

Ferrero94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelFerrero94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelFerrero94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelFerrero94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelFerrero94 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for the guide man ill use this in helping me build my pc when i build this weekend.
Ferrero94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2011, 02:03   #57
JaredC01
Hardware Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadombing View Post
Useful indeed, but how about adding the first BIOS setup?
BIOS depends on the motherboard brand, so it's not easy to post something that's useful for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrero94 View Post
Thanks for the guide man ill use this in helping me build my pc when i build this weekend.
Let us know how it goes!
Old 28th Jan 2011, 19:05   #58
sp0rk
Modder

sp0rk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How about some more specific things, e.g. different form factors, pci types etc?
sp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2011, 15:31   #59
JaredC01
Hardware Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp0rk View Post
How about some more specific things, e.g. different form factors, pci types etc?
Definitely worth noting... Might just have to revise the guide.
Old 1st Mar 2011, 17:25   #60
murraynt
I Mod, Therefore I Own

murraynt should be considered for presidentmurraynt should be considered for presidentmurraynt should be considered for presidentmurraynt should be considered for presidentmurraynt should be considered for presidentmurraynt should be considered for presidentmurraynt should be considered for presidentmurraynt should be considered for presidentmurraynt should be considered for presidentmurraynt should be considered for presidentmurraynt should be considered for president
Might be worth adding in something about the Stand-offs.

Steam: murraynt
murraynt is offline   Reply With Quote