bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > Serious

Old 9th Aug 2010, 08:28   #141
Pieface
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Pieface is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pieface is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pieface is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pieface is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pieface is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pieface is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pieface is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pieface is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pieface is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pieface is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pieface is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoxicwaste View Post
Job: Crew Member (McDonalds)

Wage: 5k a year (20-30 hours a week)

is it worth it? Considering the job requires no qualifications offers lots of potential to meet new people and get a taste of the real world I'd say YES

Im 17 so im still subject of low wage (3.90per hour) however i do enjoy working there, and i have lots of fun!
Christ. 3.90? When I was 15 my job gave me 5.90
Pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2010, 10:49   #142
ThirtyQuidKid
Supermodder

ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Job: Instrumentation and Control Commissioning Engineer.
Salary: About 36K + car
Worth it?: Most of the time the salary is far to low for what is asked of me. I am not talking about the work as such but the pressure of signing my name to 275 million pounds worth of work to say it is correct............... If it all goes wrong and a member of joe public is made ill they will be coming back to me.......
ThirtyQuidKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2010, 08:45   #143
sibster
Minimodder

sibster has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Job: Squaddie
Salary 33,000 plus some perks
Worth it,

hmmmmmmmm lets just say some days are brilliant and some days i just want to walk into my OC's office and hand him my sign off sheet. But good defo out ways the bad, 10 years left out of my 22 and i get a nice pension, so no arguments there.

But yeah i do think everyday about getting out but then i get to work and the banter starts and all good.
sibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2010, 09:28   #144
Bufo802
Supermodder

Bufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run Crysis
Job: Laboratory technician/researcher (work placement)
Salary: ~1250 for 5 weeks

Worth it? First paid job I have had and really enjoyed it, was given my own research project to work on which might eventually lead to improvements in the cancer treatments they produce. My manager and supervisor seemed to really like my work as well and can now get a holiday job whenever I'm home from uni.

Will definitely be going back, got on well with the people there and could cycle to work every day.
Bufo802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2010, 10:52   #145
markbrett64
thanks to denial I am now immortal

markbrett64 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmarkbrett64 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmarkbrett64 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmarkbrett64 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmarkbrett64 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmarkbrett64 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Job: Self-employed digital project manager. Currently contracted to the BBC.
Salary: Depends if any tax inspectors are viewing, but I charge between 400-500 GBP per day.

Worth it? Hell yes. I only started this year having been a bent-over, corporate wh*re since I left uni. Scary to leave behind permanent employment and you spend a lot of time hunting for new contracts (though I suppose that's no different to selling anything else). Once you're through the first few months and have a some emergency cash built up, there is so much less stress than a regular job... my current female boss is also super hot

Big benefit for me is that I avoid office politics and don't have to kiss *rse for a promotion. Plus at the end of my current contract in November, that will be it for me working until the New Year, I'm not massively money-orientated (like some guys I know who work 50 weeks a year at 600 quid a day), so I can focus on some other stuff such as the novel I'm writing. Will also do some part-time work in a Macmillan charity shop as they were very good to us several years ago.
Old 13th Sep 2010, 12:21   #146
fackam
What's a Dremel?

fackam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Job: IT Support with one of the biggest companies, based in Ireland.
Pay: 28k

Is it worth it? Don't know yet, it's basically taking calls and fixing servers remotely / shipping out parts... not much room for grow/career, as far as I can see.
fackam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2010, 12:48   #147
Archtronics
Mod Master

Archtronics is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Archtronics is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Archtronics is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Archtronics is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Archtronics is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Archtronics is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Archtronics is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Archtronics is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Archtronics is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Archtronics is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Archtronics is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
New Job: pot washing
pay: min wage 4:80 per hour doing 40 ish a week

Horrible job working pretty much 12 till 12 on a busy day with little to no breaks but hey cant be picky its helping pay the bills at least its not forever.
Archtronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2010, 12:49   #148
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@markbrett64

just wait a year or so and you'll be wondering how anyone survives on only 80k+ pa and 20% tax....
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2010, 17:16   #149
brave758
Ultramodder

brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibster View Post
Job: Squaddie
Salary 33,000 plus some perks
Worth it,

hmmmmmmmm lets just say some days are brilliant and some days i just want to walk into my OC's office and hand him my sign off sheet. But good defo out ways the bad, 10 years left out of my 22 and i get a nice pension, so no arguments there.

But yeah i do think everyday about getting out but then i get to work and the banter starts and all good.
I was on 28k as a Sgt when i left. Haven't looked back since
brave758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2010, 20:41   #150
Mr Happy
4 8 15 16 23 42

Mr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brave758 View Post
I was on 28k as a Sgt when i left. Haven't looked back since
Sometimes im gutted, to think i left the forces when i could have been getting a nice pension at the age of 40

But i hated it, with a passion, the f**k about factor because they think its funny, im talking getting back from operations and a battalion of nearly 500 personel getting beasted for sweet FA

so i finally told em to shove it and got my job in the prison service
Mr Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2010, 00:03   #151
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Job: Supermarket Assistant (Trolley Boy if you like)
Salary: 6.64 p/h
Worth it? Yes and No... Managers and CSA's can be a royal pain in the back side, Kids are a total menace, and just generally annoying and people's inability to drive properly and look at road signs is just frightening.
So what's good your asking? I get to work outside, not listening to people's complaints or life stories and can watch the totty walk past for the college

Sam

The Rig: Core i5 4670, GTX980, 16GB DDR3, 256GB M550 SSD, 500GB BX100 SSD Corsair 250D, Dell u2412m
The Server: Gen8 Microserver, Xeon E3-1220v2, 12GB DDR3, 4TB, 3TB, 2TB storage
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2010, 00:41   #152
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
Job: Failure Analysis Engineer
Salary: 21k euros a year
Worth it? Hell yes. I do this for a motherboard company (one of the big guys). I love messing around with hardware, figuring stuff out, helping people in the process. My office looks like a truck from Scan just ploughed through there 10 seconds ago. I'd literally do this job for free.
The pay is on the low side, but i'm single and don't need to spend a fortune on hobbies after work (work IS hobby), so i can easily live on it. I am having fun and feeling useful in the process. I leave with a smile every day. I get a reasonable amount of autonomy, as long as i do my job well. I'm REQUIRED to keep up to speed and read tech sites at work. I have virtually unlimited access to high-end hardware (as long as it's the right color). I will presumably get paid to attend events like LANs and shows (haven't been there so long that i've done any yet). So yeah, who needs cash.
I gave up 34k + car for this while i was still a Software Tester. Pay good, job miserable. Now its the other way around, and a milion times better.
Old 15th Sep 2010, 12:29   #153
brave758
Ultramodder

brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Happy View Post
Sometimes im gutted, to think i left the forces when i could have been getting a nice pension at the age of 40

But i hated it, with a passion, the f**k about factor because they think its funny, im talking getting back from operations and a battalion of nearly 500 personel getting beasted for sweet FA

so i finally told em to shove it and got my job in the prison service
They've even managed to screw the pension up now.
Hehe i still remember telling the OC to **** off with two days to go, all kit handed in chit in lue in hand.
brave758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2010, 12:57   #154
Evolutionsic
Gives credit where its due

Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.
Job: Property Business
Wage 8840 (everything included)
Worth it: Nope

I manage 2 hotels, and go around to property's collecting down and outs rent, mostly Criminals, drug abusers, and lier's. (sadly the way the system is at the moment its better to have people on benefits then people with jobs) as your always guaranteed checks, unless the tenants steal them.

Last week i nearly put one tenant though a wall after he lied to me again about not having money, despite having money for new trainers.

2 weeks ago, one tenant told me if my boss didn't sort some paint out for the property, He'd burn the place down, I let him know my thoughts on this and then he said i'll also burn your new bike too. He's heading for a few punches if he doesn't change his tune.

It's all stress and shouting really,
Evolutionsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2010, 13:45   #155
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolutionsic View Post
Job: Property Business
Wage 8840 (everything included)
Worth it: Nope

I manage 2 hotels, and go around to property's collecting down and outs rent, mostly Criminals, drug abusers, and lier's. (sadly the way the system is at the moment its better to have people on benefits then people with jobs) as your always guaranteed checks, unless the tenants steal them.

Last week i nearly put one tenant though a wall after he lied to me again about not having money, despite having money for new trainers.

2 weeks ago, one tenant told me if my boss didn't sort some paint out for the property, He'd burn the place down, I let him know my thoughts on this and then he said i'll also burn your new bike too. He's heading for a few punches if he doesn't change his tune.

It's all stress and shouting really,
Are you posting on this board from inside a tarantino movie?
Old 15th Sep 2010, 13:46   #156
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@Evolutionsic
Wage 8840
p.a. or p.m.?

sounds a sh*t job thats doing you no good at all. still you might meet Mr Happy soon.
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2010, 17:16   #157
Evolutionsic

Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrafresh View Post
Are you posting on this board from inside a tarantino movie?
Sadly not, they get Paid

P.A,

Hopefully i'll find something else to do eventually.
Old 15th Sep 2010, 20:46   #158
Mr Happy
4 8 15 16 23 42

Mr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeroot View Post
@Evolutionsic
Wage 8840
p.a. or p.m.?

sounds a sh*t job thats doing you no good at all. still you might meet Mr Happy soon.

We have space at the moment
Mr Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2010, 22:40   #159
Evolutionsic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Happy View Post
We have space at the moment
Hello Mr Happy,

Last edited by Evolutionsic; 15th Sep 2010 at 23:05.
Old 15th Sep 2010, 23:06   #160
Throbbi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Current job - Store Assistant for Morrisons,
Wage - 6.12 ph (which considering its basically shelf filling is actually quite good)
Worth it? - Not a freaking chance. The job is s**t, the management is sh***er and i frequently want to murder customers for the quite stupendous level of stupidity some of them have.
Customer - "Can you tell me where the milk is please?"
Me - "Certainly Ma'am, did you want UHT long luife milk or fresh?"
Customer - "The blue one"
Me -

My previous job was as a ductwork fitter and that was usually around 95 per day. The job istelf was awesome, lots of fun on site, seeing crazy bits of machinery (ever seen a trolley mounted Stihl saw with a 52 inch blade??) and freakish happenings. I once saw a large telescopic forklift (or boom lift) over reaching with a heavy pallet of blocks but instead of tipping over or breaking the boom it shot the hydraulic ram from the telescope section out the back of it with the second loudest bang i've ever heard (and the loudest was a sonic boom!). The boom smacked into the floor and made the whole forlift jump about 5 feet into the air and bent the ram, this is a 6 inch thick piece of what i presume is solid stainless steel! So on that front yeah its was worth it just for the experiences and the money but in the end they were expecting us to travel 6 hours a day (3 there 3 back) but only for the standard 8 hour days money. Sorry but no. Everyone in the crew was perpetually in a crappy mood since we were leaving home at 5a.m. and not getting back until, sometimes, 9p.m. depending on traffic. Plus i moved away anyway.

That said, i really REALLY miss that job. But what can you do.
Worklog - The Amputer!
Throbbi is offline   Reply With Quote