bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > Serious

Old 16th Sep 2010, 10:01   #161
Evolutionsic
Gives credit where its due

Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throbbi View Post
Current job - Store Assistant for Morrisons,
Wage - 6.12 ph (which considering its basically shelf filling is actually quite good)
Worth it? - Not a freaking chance. The job is s**t, the management is sh***er and i frequently want to murder customers for the quite stupendous level of stupidity some of them have.
Customer - "Can you tell me where the milk is please?"
Me - "Certainly Ma'am, did you want UHT long luife milk or fresh?"
Customer - "The blue one"
Me -

My previous job was as a ductwork fitter and that was usually around 95 per day. The job istelf was awesome, lots of fun on site, seeing crazy bits of machinery (ever seen a trolley mounted Stihl saw with a 52 inch blade??) and freakish happenings. I once saw a large telescopic forklift (or boom lift) over reaching with a heavy pallet of blocks but instead of tipping over or breaking the boom it shot the hydraulic ram from the telescope section out the back of it with the second loudest bang i've ever heard (and the loudest was a sonic boom!). The boom smacked into the floor and made the whole forlift jump about 5 feet into the air and bent the ram, this is a 6 inch thick piece of what i presume is solid stainless steel! So on that front yeah its was worth it just for the experiences and the money but in the end they were expecting us to travel 6 hours a day (3 there 3 back) but only for the standard 8 hour days money. Sorry but no. Everyone in the crew was perpetually in a crappy mood since we were leaving home at 5a.m. and not getting back until, sometimes, 9p.m. depending on traffic. Plus i moved away anyway.

That said, i really REALLY miss that job. But what can you do.
lol!,

do you have to deal with customers or can you just fob them off as its not part of your job?
Evolutionsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2010, 17:53   #162
Throbbi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nope. Any customer that approaches me on teh shopfloor i have to deal with if possible *sigh*.

Could be worse though, i could be in telesales lol
Worklog - The Amputer!
Throbbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2010, 02:51   #163
Splynncryth
0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Splynncryth has yet to learn the way of the DremelSplynncryth has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
job: transitioning from UEFI software engineer to reenigne (that's reverse engineer)
salary: no comment

I'm still technically a UEFI engineer so I'll comment on that.
Worth it: Overall, the job itself is a yes. I have my gripes, but I was pretty happy where I was. My job change just happens to sound more interesting and have some nicer opportunities attached.
What makes my job worth it are seeing products I have worked on 'in the wild' and seeing something I wrote being put to new uses years later are things that have given me great satisfaction.
Splynncryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Sep 2010, 12:49   #164
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Job: Benefits Assessor
Wage: Not Needed
Is it worth it?: Job's a job isn't it? Can be morally enfuriating at times, can be great helping out the needing. Depends on the day really... hate mondays though.

------

Real Job: God-Emperor of Mankind
Wage: The Imperium
Is it worth it?: To prevent Chaos destroying humanity... always >.<
BRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2010, 16:19   #165
Jedra
Supermodel

Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Job : Web/Application Developer (self employed).
Salary : From sod all for a long time to a fair amount briefly!
Is it worth it? : I enjoy it, I can't be made redundant, my commute from bed to work is less than one minute (less if it's casual day!), I am trying to help by doing something useful. It can be frustrating when people don't pay (or go bust). Trying to keep out good for nothing hackers from my production server sometimes makes me want to give up. It's better than working in the City of London which I did for many years, but I miss the monthly salary sometimes!

ASUS P6X58D-E - Intel Core i7 930 - Thermaltake FRIO - 12GB Corsair (6x2G CMD12GX3M6A1600C8) - Corsair AX1200 - 2GB Sapphire Radeon HD5970 OC - 256Gb Crucial SSD - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Silverstone Fortress FT02R-W
Steam Profile ---------- XBL:Jedra ---------- PSN:Jedra ---------- BF3:Jedra7609 & Jedra
Jedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 20:31   #166
Mr Happy
4 8 15 16 23 42

Mr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Job : Well that remains the same (thank god)
Salary : Same untill april i hope
Is it worth it? : Well after a long drawn out investigtion through a prisoner making allegations it has finally been proven that i did nothing wrong and have nothing to answer for.

The job remains a great job for me but there seems to be little backing from senior managers. The prison system on a whole is what prisoners in there own words call a "holiday" or a "career break". The criminals at times seems to be the staff and not the prisoner, they have more rights in the prison than i do, if i get injured or fall ill the NHS healthcare will refuse to treat me.

I have to stop myself, i dont want to rant, well i do but you guys will get sick of reading it.

to sum it up: I like my job, i just dont like the managers in the driving seat.
Mr Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:06   #167
fev
Industry Fallout

fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throbbi View Post
Nope. Any customer that approaches me on teh shopfloor i have to deal with if possible *sigh*.

Could be worse though, i could be in telesales lol
Or you could work in Head Office trying to control the guys who work in stores....
Old 5th Oct 2010, 13:58   #168
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13en View Post
Job: Healthcare Science Practioner (Genetics) Trainee
Wage: Just over 20k

Is it worth it? Well it means I have the longest job title of anyone I know...
Amen. My job title is going to be Healthcare Science Practitioner (Clinical Photographer), so slightly longer than yours, but that's once DoH/Sue Hill stop messing around with the Modernising Scientific Careers programme and you Geneticists guinea pigs actually finish the first round so that we can stop being an aspirant group to the HPC and actually get registered. I've been fully qualified and on the current voluntary register since January 2010.

So, me?

Job: Healthcare Science Practitioner (Clinical Photographer) ...when we get registered in 2011
Wage: 23k

Is it worth it? Yes, I love my job. I work in conjunction with clinical colleagues, and I deliver images that can alter the path of treatment, reassure patients, provide education and learning to patients and students, as well as then getting out and about for more creative work. I'm still amazed that I can actually say I'm a professional photographer with no hint of irony, and I get a kick out of doing something I enjoy as my job. Equally, I still find it funny I get paid the same as a radiography monkey.

That said, the NHS winds me up in many ways, with the ridiculous levels of middle management (aka: wasted money) and the fact that everything takes so long. I've actually just moved to working under a university rather than an NHS department, and I'm amazed that they can actually make decisions at a reasonable pace.

Long term, I've just applied for graduate entry medical school and aim to continue my qualifications/professional membership in both regions. In essence be my own worst nightmare, a doctor who actually knows what they're doing with a camera in operating theatres.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2010, 21:29   #169
sp4nky
BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

sp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei View Post
Amen. My job title is going to be Healthcare Science Practitioner (Clinical Photographer), so slightly longer than yours, but that's once DoH/Sue Hill stop messing around with the Modernising Scientific Careers programme ...
I work for the Department of Health, have done for more than a decade and I didn't realise that our arm stretched as far as Scotland. Having said that I had a call today from a lady in Scotland asking about Internal Audit guidance, so I pointed to our website.

Salary: 23k Hours: 37 Equivalent 10.53ph

Is it worth it? Do I make a difference? Is anyone going to care about the latest thing I've been asked to do? Probably.

I made a difference when I first joined, advising GPs that if they sent their patients to Dewsbury instead of Huddersfield, the waiting list was 6 months shorter there. I've made a difference in the past, working out how many more doctors we'd need, how much more it would cost, to achieve some political aims.

In my current post I work with Parliament, with the National Audit Office and with people in DH and the NHS to make sure that what's said in Parliament and in reports about the NHS, is accurate. I also work on our accounts and am currently working towards publishing a lot more data from the accounts than has ever been published before.

Is it worth it? Yes. Do I enjoy it? Yes. Is it going to save anyone's life? No but I hope it will go some way to making sure that we're accountable to Parliament and the public for all the money we spend.
sp4nky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2010, 21:41   #170
Bloody_Pete
Technophile(and yes, thats 724Mb/s)

Bloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Job: Robotics Student
Wage current: -3500 p/a
Wage Max: ??? It's an expanding field which many say will be the next boom industry, so hopefully it'll be lots :P I'm doing it more with the aim to get into cybernetics so I can make my H+ dream a reality...
i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz (1.28v) on custom water loop/ Watercooling how-to, Asus Maximus 5 Gene, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz (2 black, 2 red), Asus 780 Posiedon Platinium, 512GB Crucial Mx1000, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB in RAID 5, Xigmatek Elysium, Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W, Corsair K60, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Dell U2311H & Asus VK222W.
Bloody_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2010, 04:52   #171
snakerine
holy immortal gingers

snakerine has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsnakerine has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsnakerine has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsnakerine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Job: Network security guy lol .
Wage: no comments is soooo low.
Worth it: No because i work with the goverment and is very dangerous due to the drug war here.

I got a job offer from hp but ill be there on December =( .
snakerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2010, 19:19   #172
Rkiver
Cybernetic Spine

Rkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
No, it's not.

I've actually worked out I'm better off financially if I pack it it.

1) My mortgage is covered by the government then.
2) I actually end up with more money at the end of the month.
3) I don't have upper management who honestly I question if they know their job.
Old 7th Oct 2010, 19:23   #173
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.
Well as of today I'm unemployed.

Job: Student
Wage: Please, it pains me to look at the bank as it is.
Is it worth it? From what I can remeber so far, I'd say yes.
Old 8th Oct 2010, 08:51   #174
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4nky View Post
I work for the Department of Health, have done for more than a decade and I didn't realise that our arm stretched as far as Scotland. Having said that I had a call today from a lady in Scotland asking about Internal Audit guidance, so I pointed to our website.
The arm of the DoH is very long indeed Admittedly Scotland is different in many areas, but in terms of Modernising Scientific Careers/HPC Registration everybody is singing off the same page - namely that of the DoH.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2010, 00:35   #175
Daddyfish
Minimodder

Daddyfish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Job: Fast Food
Wage: Jack s**t
Worth It?: Hell No

I have a degree in Microbiology, but thanks to where I currently live that's practically worthless.
Daddyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2010, 00:52   #176
sui_winbolo
Giraffe_City

sui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysis
Job: Desktop & Network Support Technician for the community college.
Wages: $26,000 + full benefits
Worth It?: Yep, for the most part I enjoy my job. I'm able to afford a new used car, my own apartment, and money left over to do things on the weekend and buy myself stuff I don't need.

I could be making more money in a different part of the state or country. But I have family here, it's cheap to live here, no crime, I'm happy for the time being.
WD Velociraptor 300GB HDD | Corsair Pro 650w PSU | Silverstone MATX Case ::

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
sui_winbolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2010, 07:49   #177
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyfish View Post
Job: Fast Food
Wage: Jack s**t
Worth It?: Hell No

I have a degree in Microbiology, but thanks to where I currently live that's practically worthless.
That really sucks. Can you move?
Old 9th Oct 2010, 10:04   #178
xXSebaSXx
Supermodder

xXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run Crysis
Job: Financial Analyst with a pretty large multinational. If you go to the ATM to take money out or pay bills; chances are we built and sold that ATM to your bank.
Salary: U$35K.. Way underpaid, but that's the nature of the market today.
Worth it: 50/50 Yes/No. I'm underpaid and see no growth path in the company, but then again; sitting at a desk and plugging away on Excel and VBA is not so bad with how the job market is nowadays.
xXSebaSXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2010, 12:04   #179
Daddyfish
Minimodder

Daddyfish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddtox View Post
That really sucks. Can you move?

I used to walk to uni and work so never felt the need to learn to drive (lived at home and wasted most of my student loans of 'student' things), then by the end of uni I had two kids and moved into my own place. At the moment I'm stuck with trying to save for driving while just about managing to pay all my bills.

I could always go down the teaching route but it's a last resort for me, really can't stand kids (other than my own) so don't want to make a career of teaching them, even if the pay and holiday time are really good
Daddyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2010, 13:48   #180
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyfish View Post
I used to walk to uni and work so never felt the need to learn to drive (lived at home and wasted most of my student loans of 'student' things), then by the end of uni I had two kids and moved into my own place. At the moment I'm stuck with trying to save for driving while just about managing to pay all my bills.

I could always go down the teaching route but it's a last resort for me, really can't stand kids (other than my own) so don't want to make a career of teaching them, even if the pay and holiday time are really good
Doesn't have to be 'kids', thought about a college? People there are usually much more mature because they want to be there, not because there's a law saying they have to.