bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 23rd Aug 2014, 12:21   #21
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.
Post reserved for a four-way shootout between the Thrustmaster Warthog (plus Saitek Combat Pro pedals), Saitek X-55 Rhino, Saitek FLY5 and the Xbox 360 controller.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2014, 14:40   #22
zimboy69
Minimodder

zimboy69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
Would you recommend it?
i was using a xbox controller and found the thing to be a nightmare
so bit the bullet bought the thrustmaster tflight hotas( i think its 31 from ccl atm cheapest i could find)
wasnt sure i like it at first felt all funny and strange and i couldnt get it to work properly when i first had it then i noticed a switch on the front was pointing to ps changed that to pc downloaded some profile some dude had made for elite changed a couple of controls around

im a 100% better than i was using a controller

ive a load of shorcuts and never touch the keyboard i do everything with the joystick
only thing i found it took a few hours to get used to using it and remembering all my shortcuts even now i dont know them all but i will

i feel i am much better at dog fighting than i was and i feel more incontrol of my ship

and yes i recommend it
zimboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2014, 15:46   #23
Tichinde
Hypermodder

Tichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Snagged a T16000M off Amazon for 31, they are now 40.

I gotta wait until mid September for delivery but I can wait.
Tichinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2014, 13:11   #24
[ZiiP] NaloaC
I Mod, Therefore I Own

[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Huzzah! After being told by customer support chat that my order had been cancelled as money had not been received (I freaked out juuuuuust a smidge...), direct support confirmed that my X55 is en route and on schedule to be here by the end of tomorrow! Happy days

Sui Generis: i7 5820K, Corsair H105, 16GB Kingston 2133, ASUS X99-S, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M2, Samsung 850 1TB EVO, Corsair F3 120GB SSD & Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, MSI GTX 970, Corsair HX850W, Corsair Obsidian 800D, AOC 34", Logitech G15, Shogun Bros Ballista Mk-1, Corsair 1500.
[ZiiP] NaloaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2014, 13:24   #25
russ555
Supermodder

russ555 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just a tip for Tflight hotas X users - if you are having trouble with the twist grip because you keep turning it when you don't mean to there is a single small screw near the bottom of the stick you can use to lock it, it may also be possible to just stiffen it but I haven't tried it.
Old 27th Aug 2014, 22:20   #26
Parge
the worst

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ZiiP] NaloaC View Post
Huzzah! After being told by customer support chat that my order had been cancelled as money had not been received (I freaked out juuuuuust a smidge...), direct support confirmed that my X55 is en route and on schedule to be here by the end of tomorrow! Happy days
That wasn't too long of a wait! I had a feeling you wouldn't see it til halfway through Sept

Silverstone FT03 Mini - i7 4790S - Noctua NH-L9i - Gigabyte GTX 1070 'ITX Edition' - Maximus Impact VII - 16GB DDR3 - 1TB NVME - SF600 - AOC Agon AG271QG - Xonar U7 - Bassshaker - RAT3 - Majestouch Minila - Q90s - Orbweaver - Warthog
Parge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2014, 22:32   #27
[ZiiP] NaloaC
I Mod, Therefore I Own

[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
One of the reasons I got it from Aerosoft was that they were one of the only (if not THE only) place that had it in stock, albeit it was at the maximum budget. Other places were asking €300+

Sui Generis: i7 5820K, Corsair H105, 16GB Kingston 2133, ASUS X99-S, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M2, Samsung 850 1TB EVO, Corsair F3 120GB SSD & Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, MSI GTX 970, Corsair HX850W, Corsair Obsidian 800D, AOC 34", Logitech G15, Shogun Bros Ballista Mk-1, Corsair 1500.
Old 29th Aug 2014, 12:31   #28
[ZiiP] NaloaC
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Rhino has landed!

Old 29th Aug 2014, 13:30   #29
Jehla
Hypermodder

Jehla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jehla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jehla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jehla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jehla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jehla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jehla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jehla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jehla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jehla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jehla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Does anyone have experience of the difference between the Saitek X52 pro and X55, I'm assuming it's more than just the style and number of buttons!

I've played elite with an X55 enough to be about ready to buy one for release (or the kickstarter backer beta thingy, but the X52 pro is tempting.
Jehla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2014, 14:16   #30
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.
So, X55 from Scan arrived (136 is a bargain price, seeing as it had been over 180 elsewhere) so looking forward to taking it for a spin and doing a comparison with my Warthog.

EDIT: Scan is now up to 170. I appear to have sneaked it cheap!
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2014, 16:51   #31
phinix
RIP Waynio...

phinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyan
What do you guys think about X52 (non PRO)?

I was going to get a cheaper version of joystick, Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X for 40, but read some opinions that it has not enough buttons for games like Elite D or SC.
Cannot afford to pay over 100 for PRO version or other solutions, so narrowed it down to Hotas X and X52.
star citizen ::: CMDR Phinix 325A LTI
phinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2015, 20:15   #32
Parge
the worst

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Lets talk Joysticks again!

Up until now I’ve been using an X52 Pro which I got second hand from here. After some initial reservations (and magnet modding), I’ve really come to love it.

However, having put in quite a few hours with both Elite and SC I’ve encountered a few issues.
  • While throttles are very immersive, they aren’t actually a very quick method of changing speed.
  • They take up a heap of desk space. Star citizen is game that will require the use of a keyboard and mouse for FPS sections etc, so I’ve got to have access to them. With a huge throttle and stick on my desk, I can’t. Also, my desk is pretty small since I live in London where a shoebox costs 400k.
  • I don’t have enough buttons. This is amusing because when people see the X52 the first thing they say is ‘OMG so many buttonz’. However, the reality is that SC, and also Elite have a huge number of different systems to control. The throttle part of the X52 has one HAT (4 buttons), and 3 main additional buttons that are easily within reach.

This is what I am thinking: Amazon are doing the Warthog joystick (without Throttle) for 115. According to CamelCamelCamel this is their lowest price ever. Closest I can find elsewhere is around 160.

I’d like then pair this with a Razer Orbweaver Elite to replace the throttle. I’m not going to pay 80 for that though, will have to try and find a second hand one. However, this give me 20 keys on the keypad, a HAT switch (another 4), and also another 2 around the HAT. That's 26 total.

I think I’m going to test out the viability of that method by using the crappy (non mechanical) Razer Nostromo I currently have.

Ultimately, I feel like I'll be compromising a bit on immersion, but gaining practicality.

This will all of course go out of the window if CIG release some absolutely badass 6DOF joystick setup.

Silverstone FT03 Mini - i7 4790S - Noctua NH-L9i - Gigabyte GTX 1070 'ITX Edition' - Maximus Impact VII - 16GB DDR3 - 1TB NVME - SF600 - AOC Agon AG271QG - Xonar U7 - Bassshaker - RAT3 - Majestouch Minila - Q90s - Orbweaver - Warthog

Last edited by Parge; 25th Mar 2015 at 21:54.
Old 25th Mar 2015, 22:43   #33
phinix
RIP Waynio...

phinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyan
After having X52PRO for a year or so, I think it's a great set.
However I could do without full blown throttle. SImply to minimise desk footprint.
I wish I could have a joystick with 3 hats and little throttle at the base plus loads of buttons.
There is one - CH Fighterstick USB, but I don't know anything about that one, looks really cheap, but is expensive, 100 just for a stick...
ALso doesn't have rudder twist which is a must for me
Old 27th Mar 2015, 09:22   #34
suenstar
Collector of Things

suenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I've been enjoying getting back into the swing of using a stick and throttle setup with the X52.
After a bit of practice and getting a feel for the responsiveness and resistance of the stick, I've added a couple of the common modifications to it (magnets for precision & a bit of plastic compressing the spring for tension).

After those changes, it now works just how I'd like it to function for a cheap practice setup while practice for the rest of the year and get back into the swing of things.

At some point I need to sort out the arrangement of my office area so that I can use it more comfortably, as I'm currently having to sit slightly sideways with a small trolley surface under my desk for the flight gear.
Think I'm going to pick up a cheap height adjustable laptop table next week as a temporary fix and then start putting plans together to build a custom rig for my peripherals.

Somewhere at the end of this year or start of next year, I'm planning on either picking up a Warthog or CH setup with some pedals, unless we get some info about the Star Citizen HOTAS before hand and they sound like a worthwhile investment... then I might save for that one.

I'm also quite interested in grabbing an i-Pac for myself to see if I can put together a custom button panel for a few extra controls. Something around the same lines as this (though a lot smaller to sit next to the throttle):

Old 27th Mar 2015, 11:44   #35
edzieba
Virtual Realist

edzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I've got the X52 Pro and the Saitek 'Cessna' pedals (basically the Combat pedal mechanism but with plastic footrests). Grabbed the TM Warthog stick on the Amazon special, so hopefully it should not be too hard to set up the stick in Elite/SC to work with the pedals/throttle (The X52 pair is nicely picked up automatically in elite).
I can see how there aren't enough buttons for everything, but I mostly play in VR so if it's not on the HOTAS there's little chance of me being able to find the key. Saitek's keybinding/macro software is so tragically awful the stick works better without it even being installed (frees up the unrebindable 'mode' button), so hopefully Thrustmaster's software is a bit better.
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2015, 16:49   #36
Parge
the worst

Warthog arrived yesterday and I unboxed it today.

Oh man - its a serious bit of kit. What is striking at first is how heavy it is! The joystick on its own must weigh a kilo even before you plug it into the baseplate! The build quality is insanely good though. It genuinely does feel like it would be at home in a real jet, everything is just solid.

Its also very tall! About an inch taller than the X52 which was tall in itself. I'm definitely going to need some kind of custom desk mount for this - no doubt about that!

Initially I was a little bit perturbed at how weighty it felt to move around in comparison to the X52 - there is definitely a market for both of these sticks, some people are going to prefer the lighter feel of the X52 and won't get on with the warthog at all.

In terms of layout the (silver) bottom hat switch which you can see below on the X52 is actually on the top of the Warthog which for me at least makes it slightly harder to access.

Warthog:

This isn't a huge issue though, as the stick has another below it, as well as a rocker (black) to the left and a further rocker below and left, which is pretty convenient as it is exactly where your thumb naturally rests.

Overall, the layout works slightly better for my smaller hands.

Unusually, the back is pretty interesting too. As well as having the obvious 'fire' button for your forefinger (which by the way is absolutely solid, I half hope it loosens up a bit, or someone finds a way to replace the bones in my finger with adamantium), it also has a further 'pinky' button, and another button that is actually activated by a 'paddle'. This is a really nice feature and makes the button impossible to miss. It also has a *really* satisfying feedback loop.... I have a feeling this is going to be either missiles or countermeasures.

Overall then, its not as easy as you might think to compare the X52 and Warthog. The latter obviously wins on build quality, but the X52 is actually fine in that area too. It really comes down to layout and physicality then, and here its very much a case of personal preference - where do you want your buttons? How much stiffness do you want in them? Where does your thumb naturally rest? How long are your fingers? How big are your hands. These are the questions you should be asking yourself.

The obvious downside with the current setup is that I lose the throttle. To address this I've also paired the stick with my Razer Nostromo - I'll have an update for you shortly on my thoughts of the two of these together - but initial impressions are good!

Old 28th Mar 2015, 17:26   #37
Big_malc
I *am* a Dremel

Big_malc is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig_malc is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig_malc is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig_malc is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig_malc is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig_malc is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig_malc is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig_malc is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig_malc is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig_malc is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig_malc is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nice read Parge looking forward to update still cant pic between the 2 but I am in no rush
Only I will remain
Big_malc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2015, 18:10   #38
Pete J
RIP Teelzebub

Pete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I've recently bought phinix's X52 Pro off him and in anticipation have bought some magnets as recommended in Parge's original post video. As much as I love my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, it's a little worn and needs a few more buttons! Not to mention I like the idea of a more serious throttle.

I like my equipment to feel weighty though, so depending on how it feels, I may look into attaching some weights.

I assume some of you have seen my recent thread about my wirelesssmelly joystick! I bought it for my new HTPC and it works like a charm. Now to buy the TV, amp and everything else to go with it...
Old 28th Mar 2015, 19:21   #39
phinix
RIP Waynio...

My Warthog arrived today....

My first impression - Holy f**!!! this is one heavy HUGE fat... stick!
I haven't fired it up yet, but Jezuuuzz - this is heavy stuff, I'm having second thoughts now, seriously..
This one is so heavy on moving then I don't know if it's really a good choice for space sims...
My X52 PRO was perfect in terms of moves, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get used to this 4kg big dildo

It has huge resistance to side moves, same for buttons. I need to try it out in Elite first to see how it goes, specially longer gaming session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J View Post
I've recently bought phinix's X52 Pro off him and in anticipation have bought some magnets as recommended in Parge's original post video. As much as I love my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, it's a little worn and needs a few more buttons! Not to mention I like the idea of a more serious throttle.

I like my equipment to feel weighty though, so depending on how it feels, I may look into attaching some weights.

I assume some of you have seen my recent thread about my wirelesssmelly joystick! I bought it for my new HTPC and it works like a charm. Now to buy the TV, amp and everything else to go with it...
Pete, you will be pleased with my X52PRO - that stick just ran so smoothly and nicely. Now, when I just tried out Warthog, I started to miss my X52...

Last edited by phinix; 28th Mar 2015 at 23:31.
Old 28th Mar 2015, 20:15   #40
GMC
CMDR GMac

GMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Warthog stick looks awesome. Button placement very similar to the x-55 I use.

@Parge - have you thought about trying a 60% keyboard? I use one between the hotas elements with mouse on the other side of the stick.

Separate note, who uses pedals? I'm debating but they seem expensive, and thoughts on if they're worthwhile in EliteDangerous?
RIG: Win 10 | CM HAF922 | ASUS Z97-K | i5 4690k | Sapphire TRI-X OC R9 290 | 8GB Crucial PC12800 | 500GB Samsung SSD | 1TB Spinpoint F3 | 2TB WD Green | 4TB WD Black | XFX 650W | 34 21:9 LG | 29 21:9 LG | Creative T20 | Steelseries 7H | R.A.T.7 | Saitek X-55 | HHKB Pro2
HTPC: Kodi | Win 10 | Silverstone LC16S-MR | Blu-Ray | Asus P7P55D-E PRO | i5-760 | Sapphire HD6450 | 8GB Corsair Dominator | Kingston 60GB SSDNow V300 | 2TB WD20EZRX | 8TB 2 x WD40EZRX | OCZ ZS 550W PSU | Cherry G80-11800
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
say yes to skimmed milk