bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 30th Mar 2015, 19:12   #61
suenstar
Collector of Things

suenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyan
That is a gorgeous set of pedals.
I'd be very tempted to go for the Saitek ones when your new ones arrive, it would definitely be good to get used to pedals before moving away from the X52 so I'm prepared for the lack of twist if I go for a setup that doesn't use that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge View Post
My mate and me were having a LAN party. He has Voice attack setup for Elite. When he was in the toilet, I changed his command for ‘Raise Landing Gear’ so that it activates his boost. It took him an hour and and two new ships to work out what the hell was up!
That is both hilarious and evil at the same time.
Old 30th Mar 2015, 19:51   #62
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenstar View Post
That is a gorgeous set of pedals.
I'd be very tempted to go for the Saitek ones when your new ones arrive, it would definitely be good to get used to pedals before moving away from the X52 so I'm prepared for the lack of twist if I go for a setup that doesn't use that.

That is both hilarious and evil at the same time.
To be fair, I'm doing my medical finals in April and then off on elective for six weeks in May/June. I could probably be shot of the Saiteks any time now onwards really as I won't be in the position to do any flying until July/August.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2015, 23:06   #63
suenstar
Collector of Things

suenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If I bought that off you when I get paid next month, that'd work quite well for starting things in motion for me to start preparing for a full HOTAS upgrade in July.
Three months should be more than enough practice to get out of the stick twisting control habit.
Old 31st Mar 2015, 02:19   #64
Jumeira_Johnny
16032 - High plains drifter

Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
My main complaint with the Warthog so far is the lack of an adjustable palm-rest. Even with my massive gorilla-hands, I need to shift my grip up to comfortably use the china/coolie-hat switch at the top-left. The hatswitch on the lower-left is also going to take a bit of practice to comfortable trigger the 'press-in' without clicking it to the side at the same time.
Just a thought, the A-10 stick is meant to be used low in your lap between your legs. If you have it off to the side or mounted high, this might force your hands into the wrong position. As compared to the F-16 which is designed from the ground up for side mount.
Old 31st Mar 2015, 09:12   #65
GMC
CMDR GMac

GMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm going off this thread, making me want to spend more money and buy a warthog. What's the second hand price for a rhino these days?

Also, this is very cool, way expensive, but very cool.
http://www.maxflightstick.com/store/...&product_id=60
RIG: Win 10 | CM HAF922 | ASUS Z97-K | i5 4690k | Sapphire TRI-X OC R9 290 | 8GB Crucial PC12800 | 500GB Samsung SSD | 1TB Spinpoint F3 | 2TB WD Green | 4TB WD Black | XFX 650W | 34” 21:9 LG | 29” 21:9 LG | Creative T20 | Steelseries 7H | R.A.T.7 | Saitek X-55 | HHKB Pro2
HTPC: Kodi | Win 10 | Silverstone LC16S-MR | Blu-Ray | Asus P7P55D-E PRO | i5-760 | Sapphire HD6450 | 8GB Corsair Dominator | Kingston 60GB SSDNow V300 | 2TB WD20EZRX | 8TB 2 x WD40EZRX | OCZ ZS 550W PSU | Cherry G80-11800
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2015, 10:12   #66
suenstar
Collector of Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
I'm going off this thread, making me want to spend more money and buy a warthog. What's the second hand price for a rhino these days?

I know the feeling, I'm already planning a set amount to put aside each month so I can do a full HOTAS upgrade by August (providing we don't hear from CIG about their partnership offering by then).

That setup does seem quite cool, though for that price I would have expected them to include a basic seat and a mounting system for some monitors.
Old 31st Mar 2015, 11:01   #67
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeira_Johnny View Post
Just a thought, the A-10 stick is meant to be used low in your lap between your legs. If you have it off to the side or mounted high, this might force your hands into the wrong position. As compared to the F-16 which is designed from the ground up for side mount.
The Warthog stick is fine in a side-mount position, but it cannot be high - being on a desk is probably too high to be honest. Centre mounting is great, but you generally need to add an extension (5-10cm) to make it a bit taller, and also to allow the stick to be slightly rotated without impacting on axis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post

That's ridiculously expensive! It's basically a set of pedals and a Warthog mount. For what is about £1600 you could buy a full Obutto R3volution cockpit, with accessories, the MFG Crosswinds, the Warthog HOTAS and have spare change for TrackIR etc.

As for X55 second hand? I've not seen many come up anywhere to be honest.
Old 31st Mar 2015, 14:29   #68
GMC
CMDR GMac

GMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei View Post
As for X55 second hand? I've not seen many come up anywhere to be honest.
well, warthog is on hold for me, much as I want one. pedals and rift come first.
RIG: Win 10 | CM HAF922 | ASUS Z97-K | i5 4690k | Sapphire TRI-X OC R9 290 | 8GB Crucial PC12800 | 500GB Samsung SSD | 1TB Spinpoint F3 | 2TB WD Green | 4TB WD Black | XFX 650W | 34” 21:9 LG | 29” 21:9 LG | Creative T20 | Steelseries 7H | R.A.T.7 | Saitek X-55 | HHKB Pro2
HTPC: Kodi | Win 10 | Silverstone LC16S-MR | Blu-Ray | Asus P7P55D-E PRO | i5-760 | Sapphire HD6450 | 8GB Corsair Dominator | Kingston 60GB SSDNow V300 | 2TB WD20EZRX | 8TB 2 x WD40EZRX | OCZ ZS 550W PSU | Cherry G80-11800
Old 31st Mar 2015, 22:52   #69
Parge
the worst

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The joystick thread is my new favourite thread!

I'm thinking about mounting options now. This setup looks like it could work for me, though I won't use pedals.

Silverstone FT03 Mini - i7 4790S - Noctua NH-L9i - Gigabyte GTX 1070 'ITX Edition' - Maximus Impact VII - 16GB DDR3 - 1TB NVME - SF600 - AOC Agon AG271QG - Xonar U7 - Bassshaker - RAT3 - Majestouch Minila - Q90s - Orbweaver - Warthog
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2015, 23:59   #70
GMC
CMDR GMac

I like this idea. Cutout holes to stop chair and pedals from separating

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/Ne...e3ff7.jpg.html

Source: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=8121
Old 1st Apr 2015, 09:37   #71
phinix
RIP Waynio...

phinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyanphinix is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J View Post
My weekend was a bit weird and retailer I had lined up to buy the Warthog from had a problem processing my order, so I decided to wimp out and go for an X55 Rhino set up instead - the hatch switch is still there after all and I actually like twisting the joystick for yaw as I find it more responsive than feet!

Unfortunately I couldn't cancel the pedals in time, so it looks like a little walk will be in order to send it back tomorrow lunchtime, assuming it turns up in the morning. Amazon's returns department are quite frankly amazing in my eyes.

The Rhino will be with me tomorrow as well!
I'm sure you will like Rhino very much. It is similar to X52PRO and will work perfectly with all our games. Personally I think it's better than Warthog, but that's is just my opinion.

Quote:
My mate and me were having a LAN party. He has Voice attack setup for Elite. When he was in the toilet, I changed his command for ‘Raise Landing Gear’ so that it activates his boost. It took him an hour and and two new ships to work out what the hell was up!
Haha Great joke

star citizen ::: CMDR Phinix 325A LTI
phinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2015, 09:54   #72
Cei
pew pew pew

Quote:
The joystick thread is my new favourite thread!

I'm thinking about mounting options now. This setup looks like it could work for me, though I won't use pedals.
Where does the throttle go?
Personally, these look (similar) but better: http://wheelstandpro.com/products/wh...hog--deluxe-v2
Old 1st Apr 2015, 10:03   #73
GMC
CMDR GMac

Quote:
Where does the throttle go?
Personally, these look (similar) but better: http://wheelstandpro.com/products/wh...hog--deluxe-v2
Those are the same thing he posted. Just in the posted pic the 'table' sections haven't been used.
Old 1st Apr 2015, 10:15   #74
Cei
pew pew pew

I'm so good at this.

Nor has the plate for the pedals in that picture either?
Old 1st Apr 2015, 10:34   #75
suenstar
Collector of Things

Mounting System
Something like this will be my temporary stick and throttle platform until I decide on which system I'm getting later in the year so I know how it needs to be attached:

Warthog
After watching a selection of videos of people using them yesterday, I'm now in two minds about the Warthog.
I'd probably like to use the stick, but the throttle looks as if it has fairly loud toggle switches which would potentially drive me (along with anyone else in the house at night) absolutely insane... unless there's some way make those quieter?
It could be something that I'd get used to, but it's hard to tell exactly how loud they are to people in another room from a video recording where they user has their microphone about 2ft away from the device.

Does anyone know how well you can pair up the Warthog Flight Stick with the CH Pro Throttle?

I've attempted to research the idea of using those two together, but it seems to be quite a rare thing that there isn't a great deal of explanation of how well it works.
Some games look like they may only pick up one device, but then it looks like it should be fine on things like Elite and Star Citizen where you can create a general profile and map whatever buttons you like.
Old 1st Apr 2015, 10:55   #76
Cei
pew pew pew

The toggle switches are pretty loud, but I hardly ever use them. They can also be actuated quietly by moving them a bit slower, rather than just flicking them. The vast majority of controls you'll use on a regular basis are on the stick or throttle handle.

In terms of pairing the stick with a CH throttle, it should work in SC and ED. I think you might be the guinea pig though?
Old 1st Apr 2015, 11:02   #77
Parge
the worst

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Ha ha! Cei!

No throttle (or pedals) remember - I'm using the Nostromo.

I've emailed those guys, because I can't find the single Warthog specific mount on their website.

EDIT: @Suenstar- is that from Ikea? Could be an easy way to mod it and make it work.

Silverstone FT03 Mini - i7 4790S - Noctua NH-L9i - Gigabyte GTX 1070 'ITX Edition' - Maximus Impact VII - 16GB DDR3 - 1TB NVME - SF600 - AOC Agon AG271QG - Xonar U7 - Bassshaker - RAT3 - Majestouch Minila - Q90s - Orbweaver - Warthog

Last edited by Parge; 1st Apr 2015 at 11:16.
Old 1st Apr 2015, 11:19   #78
Cei
pew pew pew

Yep, suenstar's table is from Ikea.

Parge, where would the Nostromo go then? Mounted on the chair arm?
Old 1st Apr 2015, 11:22   #79
Parge
the worst

Quote:
Yep, suenstar's table is from Ikea.

Parge, where would the Nostromo go then? Mounted on the chair arm?
So, Warthog in the middle by my danglies.

Then Nostromo and Mouse on the desk like I’m playing an FPS.

Old 1st Apr 2015, 11:27   #80
Cei
pew pew pew

Sounds reasonable. Depending on height of the 'hog you may want a 5-10cm extension as well. They further increase accuracy and allow the stick to be rotated in relation to the base, which is much more comfortable for centre mounts. I'm sure Nexxo said he can knock them up.

Tags
say yes to skimmed milk