bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 24th Dec 2014, 15:01   #161
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Not really, as you don't just get office with the sub... You Skype minutes [60/month iirc] and extra OneDrive space [10TB currently, though I have the 5-license sub, the 'personal' sub might be less]... Factor those into the cost and it's actually not a bad deal... You also get access to more of the suite than you would if you just bought a copy of 'Home and Student'...
1TB for personal/single user, AFAIK the cheapest 365 sub is 60 per year, over three years that works out the same('ish) price as a normal version of Office, so if you plan to use Office for more than three years it works out cheaper to get the non online version.

If you only plan to use the normal version of Office until the end of mainstream support that's 120 cheaper, if you plan to use it until extended support end date that works out 430 cheaper.

Extras are nice and all, but if you have no need for them they are a bit of a waste.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2014, 17:02   #162
RedFlames
...is in the wrong quantum reality

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I've just checked, according to MS it is 10TB for the personal sub too - the website apparently hasn't been updated yet [it still lists the 5-user as 1TB too]... and on the 5-license sub [the 80/yr one] that's 10TB of cloud storage for up to 5 people... never got a straight answer as to if the skype minutes was per user or per sub though...

As for the extras, yes they're a bit of a waste if you're not needing them, but they are a sweetener to convince people to pick that sub over either another cloud storage sub [7.99/mo for 1TB of dropbox space or 5.99 for 10TB of OneDrive and free office...] or over the Home/Student standalone [the sub comes with outlook for instance, the standalone does not and some home user may find Publisher useful]...

The sub model isn't for everyone, and I'll agree the 'personal' sub is expensive, in the same way Netflix's 'single device' sub is expensive [it's not enough of a discount over the 5-user sub], if you have more than one PC/User in the household though the 5-license sub is [imo] good value

Plus a lot of devices are coming with a free years personal sub at the moment, so MS are probably hoping people either keep up the sub after the free year...

TL-DR... we'll agree to disagree on the merits or lack thereof of Office 365...

EDIT - and yes, it is most definitely 10TB:

RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2014, 17:37   #163
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
For now. http://blogs.office.com/2014/10/27/o...5-subscribers/
faugusztin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2014, 18:06   #164
RedFlames

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
Yeah I know it's going to be 'unlimited' in the near future, it was more to demonstrate that it is currently 10TB and not the 1TB the website states...

Old 24th Dec 2014, 18:38   #165
Krazeh
Mod Master

Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Pretty sure if you manage to fill that 10TB up you will automatically get additional space added to your account. It's just a workaround for their current systems.
Krazeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Dec 2014, 07:57   #166
Corky42

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Microsoft confirms latest Windows 10 Technical Preview bricks harddisks
http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-c...rddisks-73995/
Quote:
Users report that the latest Windows 10 Technical Preview bricks HDDs. On the Microsoft Forums users complain that their HDD becomes unresponsive when they’ve installed build 9879 of Windows 10. The system doesn’t boot into Windows and gives an error message.
That just re-enforces my opinion that only the brave may enter. Then again no one is stupid enough to use a preview build of an OS as their main system, are they ?
Old 30th Dec 2014, 10:24   #167
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.
Greetings!

Quote:
Windows 10 Coming With A New Web Browser?

According to ZDNet, Windows 10 will ship with a new web browser codenamed "Spartan."

Quote:
Microsoft is planning to roll out a new browser when it debuts Windows 10, according to sources. But IE isn't going completely away. It turns out that what's actually happening is Microsoft is building a new browser, codenamed Spartan, which is not IE 12 -- at least according to a couple of sources of mine.
http://www.hardocp.com/news/2014/12/..._web_browser63
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 10:07   #168
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.
Greetings!

Quote:
Here's how to enable the new IE12 Trident mode in Internet Explorer on Windows 10

By default, Internet Explorer will decide which engine is used, however, that can be changed on a new "flags" page included in IE12, called "Experimental Features", which is located by typing "about:flags" into the address bar. Other versions including IE11 on Windows 8.1, do not have this page.

On the new configuration page, Microsoft refers to the new rending engine as "Experimental Web Platform Features" and gives you three options, including "automatic", "enabled", and "disabled".

http://www.neowin.net/news/heres-how...-on-windows-10
Old 9th Jan 2015, 10:28   #169
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Greetings!

Quote:
Windows 10s new browser will have the most advanced features ever
This is Spartan

Spartan is designed to be a single browser across PCs, tablets, and phones. Were told that Microsoft will make Spartan a Windows Store app, enabling the company to quickly and easily update the browser in future. ZDNet previously reported that Microsoft will continue to include Internet Explorer in Windows 10, and we understand this will be primarily for legacy compatibility reasons. Spartan is the main browser in Windows 10, and most users will be accessing the web using it. While Spartan will be a Windows Store app, we understand Microsoft isnt planning to make it a universal app initially. One version of Spartan will be available in the Store as a desktop app, and another as a modern app for tablets and phones. Both will be updated regularly with identical features.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/8/751...artan-features
Old 9th Jan 2015, 11:57   #170
loftie
Mod Master

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Sounds like the same argument they used when they 'took' the Hubs from Windows Phone out of the OS and made them apps. All it did was break the music/video apps and nothing else, at least not yet. Not had a constant stream of updates because of it.
Old 9th Jan 2015, 12:12   #171
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Microsoft confirms latest Windows 10 Technical Preview bricks harddisks
http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-c...rddisks-73995/

That just re-enforces my opinion that only the brave may enter. Then again no one is stupid enough to use a preview build of an OS as their main system, are they ?
Is this just HDD's or can SSD's be affected too?
CrapBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2015, 13:00   #172
Corky42

Honestly IDK, i just read about it and thought it maybe helpful for someone.

My guess is, and it's only a guess, is no as it seems to be related to HDD's not being sent a wake command after being sent a sleep command so they fail to spin backup. I guess it could effect SSD's but IDK how windows handles sleep and wake events for those.

Just found this on another forum..
Quote:
The system must have the following configuration to hit this issue:
The drive must be a SATA HDD.
The drive must support Power-Up in Standby (PUIS) where the HDD keeps its platter spun down when the disk gets powered up.
The system must be running the in-box SATA driver, StorAHCI.
The system is running the Windows Technical Preview build 9879.
The system BIOS does not send a spin-up command after power on and/or after resume.
Old 21st Jan 2015, 10:50   #173
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Greetings!

Quote:
Quick Note: With Windows 10, the Windows Source Hits Build 10,000

Ahead of the release of the next Windows 10 preview milestone build, Microsoft has reportedly hit a major landmark. Neowin reports:

For decades, Microsoft has been compiling builds of Windows with a continuous count for version control and as of today, the version number has crossed 10,000, according to sources who are close to Microsoft.

The build number crossing the 10k threshold, is perhaps fitting for a release named Windows 10. Officially, the last publicly seen build was 9,925, so it was expected that Microsoft would compile this landmark build number shortly.

http://www.dailytech.com/Quick+Note+...ticle37089.htm
Quote:
Microsoft Spartan: Chrome Extensions targeted for native support

Neowin has learned a bit more about these extensions and how Microsoft plans to make its browser attractive for developers. Spartan will be able to use Chrome extensions and, while we are not sure if they will work 100% natively, the way extensions have been implemented is nearly identical to that of Chrome which will make it a simple process for developers to make their extensions work on Spartan.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...native-support
Old 21st Jan 2015, 17:11   #174
Krazeh
Mod Master

Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for the first year for anyone using Windows 8.1 or Windows 7. Windows Phone users will also get a free upgrade for first year.
Krazeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2015, 18:03   #175
RedFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazeh View Post
So Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for the first year for anyone using Windows 8.1 or Windows 7. Windows Phone users will also get a free upgrade for first year.
tbh the 'for the first year' bit confuses me somewhat [i've not watched any of the stream]... With talk of a sub model is it free if you upgrade within a year of 10's release or do you get 1 years worth of sub if you upgrade [like they did if you bought office 2010 just prior to 2013s release]...

EDIT - Apprently 'Windows as a Service' is MS speak for their shift to 'little and often' updates, and they have no intention of using a sub model for Windows

[source]

Last edited by RedFlames; 21st Jan 2015 at 20:23.
Old 21st Jan 2015, 21:51   #176
GTIgeneral
Supermodder

GTIgeneral is a Super Spamming SaiyanGTIgeneral is a Super Spamming SaiyanGTIgeneral is a Super Spamming SaiyanGTIgeneral is a Super Spamming SaiyanGTIgeneral is a Super Spamming SaiyanGTIgeneral is a Super Spamming SaiyanGTIgeneral is a Super Spamming SaiyanGTIgeneral is a Super Spamming SaiyanGTIgeneral is a Super Spamming SaiyanGTIgeneral is a Super Spamming SaiyanGTIgeneral is a Super Spamming Saiyan
So what's the cheapest way to get a copy of windows? 7 or 8.1

Or would it be worth holding out for 10?
GTIgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2015, 22:04   #177
RedFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIgeneral View Post
OEM copies of both are about the same price iirc

Old 21st Jan 2015, 23:20   #178
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIgeneral View Post

Or would it be worth holding out for 10?
Well you can go cheaper with OEM, but at the price Amazon asks for the full version i see no reason to cheap out for OEM :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Wi...dp/B00FRAE7MU/
faugusztin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 00:03   #179
loftie
Mod Master

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Kinguin had keys for ~40
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 09:27   #180
Corky42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
EDIT - Apprently 'Windows as a Service' is MS speak for their shift to 'little and often' updates, and they have no intention of using a sub model for Windows
Yet.

My guess is Windows 10 will as the say be non-subscription based with what will start as gentle('ish) advertising for other Microsoft services like One Drive, Office 365, Skype, etc, etc. Things like reminders popping up when using the built in Office viewer that you can buy Office 365 for only X amount to add extra features, when using One Drive a reminder that you can get extra storage.

Personally i think Microsoft is going to use Windows 10 in a similar manner as a shopping center, get you through the door and you're going to be more likely to spend money.