bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Feedback & Suggestions

Old 21st May 2015, 18:47   #1
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Bit-tech goes mobile! Feedback please

Hi all,

Earlier today, the new mobile interface of bit-tech went live. Mobile devices should be automatically directed to it, or you can access it at m.bit-tech.net.

User The_Crapman already beat me to it, but I want to make this thread the one place to discuss and give feedback on the new mobile site. How fast is it? How do you like the layout and organisation? Ad placement? You know the score!

It's very early days and very much a work in progress, but it is being constantly worked on, bugged checked, format checked etc.

Let us know how you get on - cheers!
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 19:38   #2
Big Elf
“not another f—-ing elf”

Big Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming Saiyan
How do you get to the forum from the mobile page?

Why won't it acknowledge a request from within Firefox to 'Request Desktop Site'?

First thing I normally with a Mobile site is find how to access the full site. Second thing I do if the site won't allow me access to the full site is to delete the bookmark/link.
Case Labs TH10│Asus Rampage III Extreme│Core i7 990X│24GB Corsair Dominator GT│GTX Titan SLI│Samsung 850 EVO 256GB│Crucial M4│2TB Samsung Momentus x 2│SeaSonic P1000W│EK Supremacy│EK FC-RE3│EK-FC Titan SE x 2│EK-RAM Dominator│Black Ice SR-1 480 x 3│Swiftech 35X2
Big Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 20:13   #3
The_Crapman
Don't phone it's just for fun.

The_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The option at the bottom of the page to go to the full site doesn't work, selecting this opens the website in a new tab which then detects you're on a mobile device and loads the mobile page again.

Also if you try to access any articles through google, it directs you to the mobile homepage.
i5 3570K@4.4, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, EVGA GTX 970 Cheesecake@1517/7700, 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz CL10, Enermax Revolution 1050W, Samsung 840 EVO 120GB , Fractal Arc Midi R2, Dell U2412M, CM Rapid-i w/Browns, R.A.T. 7, Kingston HyperX Cloud
XSPC Twin DDC Dual Bay Res, 2x Laing DDC-1T Plus, Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light, Alphacool NexXxoS NVXP GTX760 Full Cover Copper Block, Alphacool Heatmaster II, 2x 240mm Alphacool ST30, 5x
Xigmatec CLF 120mm LED Fans
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 06:27   #4
GMC
CMDR GMac

GMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
No, no, no, no, no. Turn it off, PLEASE!

I detest mobile sites at the best of times and typically just stop using them on the same basis as Big Elf describes.

As to the BT mobile site specifically o really dislike it. It looks like an RSS presentation with unnecessarily huge font on the splash page. Was it designed for the vision impaired, or just tested on a tiny iPhone screen? Either way this is a backward step.

Why no image on the article pages? The data overhead is irrelevant and I like pictures, your mobile site is not offering an equivalent alternative, its a bag full of unnecessary and irritating compromises.

On the main site i could read according to my preference, not the arbitrary irritation of an unnecessary mobile site.
News just in: Smartphone browsers can zoom! At least they can when you don't force feed them shonky mobile sites, ignore the browser request for the desktop site, and serve up an annoying link button taunting the user with the prospect of seeing the full site that doesn't work.

I'm really sorry if this seems harsh but seriously, given the state of mobile and tablet technology and the nature of the bit tech site, this is really bad. Force feeding these pages and disabling/ignoring browser accessibility functionality (your mobile site requests no zooming of text which has to be overridden in the browser settings - why???) is just a silly thing to do. Let the user consume the content their way

Whatever unknown problem this was trying to solve, you missed.

Please turn it off and we'll all pretend it didn't happen. Otherwise at least fix it so I can ignore it and get to the full site from any browser.
RIG: Win 10 | CM HAF922 | ASUS Z97-K | i5 4690k | Sapphire TRI-X OC R9 290 | 8GB Crucial PC12800 | 500GB Samsung SSD | 1TB Spinpoint F3 | 2TB WD Green | 4TB WD Black | XFX 650W | 34” 21:9 LG | 29” 21:9 LG | Creative T20 | Steelseries 7H | R.A.T.7 | Saitek X-55 | HHKB Pro2
HTPC: Kodi | Win 10 | Silverstone LC16S-MR | Blu-Ray | Asus P7P55D-E PRO | i5-760 | Sapphire HD6450 | 8GB Corsair Dominator | Kingston 60GB SSDNow V300 | 2TB WD20EZRX | 8TB 2 x WD40EZRX | OCZ ZS 550W PSU | Cherry G80-11800
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 07:50   #5
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Teelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm pleased to say it doesn't automatically direct my phone to it why is bt wasting time on these things that are not wanted wouldn't be better to get the forum running right?
bt was once a great and vibrant forum wtf happened to it? , there must be a Hex on us back to mediocrity Get back under your bridges you scummy Troll's and STFU Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 14.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI 2 x Dell U27" @ 2560 x 1440, 4 bags of weed
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 08:13   #6
GMC
CMDR GMac

GMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming SaiyanGMC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
What phone/browser is it you have (which the site is not redirecting)?
RIG: Win 10 | CM HAF922 | ASUS Z97-K | i5 4690k | Sapphire TRI-X OC R9 290 | 8GB Crucial PC12800 | 500GB Samsung SSD | 1TB Spinpoint F3 | 2TB WD Green | 4TB WD Black | XFX 650W | 34” 21:9 LG | 29” 21:9 LG | Creative T20 | Steelseries 7H | R.A.T.7 | Saitek X-55 | HHKB Pro2
HTPC: Kodi | Win 10 | Silverstone LC16S-MR | Blu-Ray | Asus P7P55D-E PRO | i5-760 | Sapphire HD6450 | 8GB Corsair Dominator | Kingston 60GB SSDNow V300 | 2TB WD20EZRX | 8TB 2 x WD40EZRX | OCZ ZS 550W PSU | Cherry G80-11800
Old 22nd May 2015, 08:40   #7
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Teelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think it's chrome I get bt the same as I get it on the PC that's on both my phone and tablet
bt was once a great and vibrant forum wtf happened to it? , there must be a Hex on us back to mediocrity Get back under your bridges you scummy Troll's and STFU Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 14.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI 2 x Dell U27" @ 2560 x 1440, 4 bags of weed
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:37   #8
GMC
CMDR GMac

Strange. My nexus 6 is auto redirected using chrome
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:54   #9
MadGinga
I *am* a Dremel

MadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Obviously I'm odd, but I quite like it.
Simple, clean and easy to use.

Comments:
  • If I had to criticise something, I would say its a shame that you cant filter on articles. The main website separates news and articles, so would be like to see that...
  • Long articles/reviews don't load properly. If you open the Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4P review, it loads everything up to the "Specification" header, then adds two items of the following list to the page footer (along with the "Back to Top", & "Full bit-tech" links)
  • As mentioned by others, "full bit-tech website" link doesn't work.
  • Would be great to be able to access the forums...
  • bit-tech logo image is fuzzy, looks like someone has done a screen dump and then cut-it out using MS paint and pasted it on to a white background...

EDIT:
HTC One M9, Android 5.0.2, Chrome 42.0.2311.111

Last edited by MadGinga; 22nd May 2015 at 10:06. Reason: added phone specs
MadGinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:58   #10
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nexus 4 running Android 5.1 and Chrome as the browser: auto-redirects, ignores "Request desktop site," "full bit-tech website" link doesn't work.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:32   #11
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
Wow and I thought we were safe...

I absolutely hate mobile sites for the most part, they just seem so pointless on modern day smartphones. We now get so much (generally fast) data that saving space is no longer a huge concern, phones can zoom in a pinch too, which makes those annoying oversized buttons pointless IMO. I just dislike how they always end up losing useful features too. For instance, on LTT you can't choose a forum page to go to and the notifications don't disappear either, nor can you multi quote properly. Now that's not Bit, but it's a fairly common theme.

As was mentioned, the request desktop part just doesn't work. Following a link (like say from the forums) to an article doesn't take you to the article but instead to the front page. There's no link to the forums from the front page (how did this one happen?).

The only thing I like about mobile pages is that the adverts tend to be more mobile suitable. Some sites just have so many animated ads or ones with all sorts of tricks that they just crash my browsers on my phone, not usually so much with mobile versions.
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:48   #12
Krazeh
Mod Master

Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I don't like it, for the same reasons as have already been set out by posters above. Not sure why you've gone down this route at a time where, imo, mobile specific sites are becoming less relevant anyway. Why waste the time and resources?
Krazeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:12   #13
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
Also it seems the mobile front page isn't being updated with the new news articles? Bit of an issue there as it means some can't view the articles at all thanks to how the mobile page is currently the only option. Tried to read some of the new stuff Gareth posted today but was as usual redirected to the front page, only the articles weren't there either :/
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:21   #14
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Same problem as others, on iPhone 6 using both Chrome and Safari it defaults to m.bit-tech.net and even after requesting to display desktop it still reverts to the mobile site.

Opening up an article its presented as one long page, links in articles take you to the front page not the intended link.

No link to forums, reviews, or blogs.
Old 24th May 2015, 13:32   #15
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Mobile sites are evil. They are usually poorly designed and offering no small-screen advantage over the desktop site. With mobile phones having the big high-res screens they have these days, it's a solution that came five years too late.

"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams"

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.

Last edited by Nexxo; 26th May 2015 at 07:56.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 23:51   #16
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn
Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
ah, so thats the reason.....

switch it off, I prefer desktop sites (and have extension on firefox mobile to force that).

like the others, the link at the bottom doesnt take me to the real site,
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 06:44   #17
23RO_UK
Hasta Mañana

23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Mobile sites are evil. They are usually poorly designed and offering small-screen advantage over the desktop site. With mobile phones having the big high-res screens they have these days, it's a solution that came five years too late.
As per the above ^^^ (thank you Nexxo)

The link to the main site doesn't work, please turn it off it's pure bloody torture!!
23RO_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 07:32   #18
RTT
#parp

RTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Why on earth would you build a mobile site in 2015? Make the main site responsive instead
Old 26th May 2015, 12:04   #19
noizdaemon666
I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

noizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I (like Teel) don't get redirected. I hate mobile sites, don't do it bit-tech, leave it as is. Phones are big enough to see normal sites anyway.

I'm running a Moto G on the Pac Man rom with Dolphin as my browser in case anyone is wondering.

Edit: Having now seen the mobile site on my PC, I still hate mobile sites. Everything is just lumped together.
noizdaemon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 09:26   #20
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Redirects to the main site should be working now
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote