1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P8Z68PRO-Gen3 asmedia firmware?

Discussion in 'Asus UK' started by Harlequin, 27 Dec 2015.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

hi I'm having stability issues with newer usb3 drives , specifically 128gb and larger - is there a firmware update available from you for the asmedia usb3 controller which offers better support and stability?

2. Ryan@ASUS

Ryan@ASUS What's a Dremel? Moderator

Hi there,

Have you tried the latest driver version before considering a firmware upgrade? I believe it's in the realm of 1.16.24.0 at the moment for the 104x ASMedia USB 3.0 controller on Windows 7/8.1 or v1.16.26.1 used on your board. For some reason we don't have these on the product page of the motherboard you use (presumably because compatibility isn't tested as it's so old) but you can grab it off one of the newer motherboards download pages (such as the Z170-A) as I believe these are generic driver install packages (similar to what Realtek does with its HD Audio/Gigabit controllers).

You could also consider checking for the latest driver using the built-in Microsoft Windows driver tool under the device manager tab.

Also consider the latest BIOS version for your board (I believe it's 3603).

To my knowledge we don't support/facilitate flashing of the actual USB 3.0 controller firmware on that motherboard. It seems we provide such function on boards like the P8Z77V-PRO but that only seems to be for Windows 8 specifically, I'm not sure if this tool would work for you or fix the problem.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

That aside I'm not really sure what else to suggest.

Regards

Ryan Martin

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

thank you

went to station drivers in the end and got the latest drivers ( 1.16.29.1 ) there is a firmware update (130201) which is newer than the updater you linked to

and yes I'm still having problems (also on the intel usb 2 as well - yet the usb stick works fine on my sons older AMD rig!)

btw theres some newer marvell 91xx drivers on station drivers as well

any ideas?

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the error on bsod is

driver irql less or not equal usbfilter.sys

5. Ryan@ASUS

usbfilter.sys is an AMD USB Filter driver for AMD motherboard chipsets.

You say you're using the ASUS P8Z68V-PRO motherboard which is an Intel Z68 chipset. Is this a fresh install of Windows or have you changed MB+CPU?

It's possible this BSOD is occurring as a result of some driver/device configuration issues caused by residual files from a previous install.

Harlequin likes this.
  6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

you sir are a true star! rep given! yes it was the old AMD driver from 2011!! all fixed (and new drivers too boot from station drivers!)

7. Ryan@ASUS

Excellent news, glad it's been solved :)

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

thank you - although maybe an idea for older boards to maybe host the updated drivers for them?

9. Ryan@ASUS

I can make a request but asking for updated drivers for products that are nearly 5 years old will may get a tepid response.

""technically"" we do host the newer drivers, but under the download sections of newer motherboards, the ASMedia chip hasn't actually changed for newer boards but I agree that it should be easy to get these and that's a rather convoluted way of doing so.