1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS ROG PG278Q

Discussion in 'Asus UK' started by stealth80, 4 Feb 2016.

1. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

Hi, today I received my first ever Gsync monitor was excited. I hooked it up and straight away I noticed the text was quite blurry (only the black text/fonts, desktop fonts remain sharp) and figured it was because I was switching from an IPS monitor. I toyed with the turbo switch to change the refresh rate up from 60 to 120 to 144hz, that's operation in itself was quite clumbersome, I thought I would just press it once to show and again to shift it to the next refresh rate, however it is very hit and miss.
    When the rate did eventually change I noticed some flickering around the screen, especially visible on the grey bars on the NVidia settings window. I toyed some more enabling/disabling gsync and SLI and the issue remained. It seems to have calmed down now, and is only visible in around 50% of situations. It persists through gsync on and off and I have tried 3 sets of drivers. The only time the flickering is 100% not present is if I enable ULMB.
    Also gsync is permanently engaged unless I disable it in the driver, even on the desktop, I was under the impression the LED would be white and gsync disabled until a game was loaded up, however it remains red (and gsync mode is on in the screens OSD).

Below is a link to my desktop showing the flickering:

https://vimeo.com/154231377

And on the below link if you watch the "yes" box on the dialogue you can see that flickering also

https://vimeo.com/154235192

Thanks

Last edited: 4 Feb 2016
  2. Ryan@ASUS

Ryan@ASUS What's a Dremel? Moderator

Hi there,

Could bea backlight problem, potentially an issue with the G-Sync module.

Have you tried hooking it up to another system to rule out it being a problem with your particular system?

Also have you reached out to your retailer to let them know you're unhappy, making sure you do this within that 28day window (i think its 28days) so you can easily get it replaced if need be.

Regards

Ryan Martin

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Display refresh rate switch won't work unless the display content is actively changing - so in game this will work, but on a static desktop it won't.

Try reducing pixel overdrive function (can't remember it's called) or adjusting the sharpness, this may help.
    GSync is red and ULMB is orange - is there a visible difference?

If you have ULMB enabled, GSync will certainly be off - the two cannot work together.

4. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

Ive tried it on my wifes PC with 670GTX, i5 4670K and it was the same.

Gsync is permanently on unless I enable ULMB which then allows me to enable it on the monitor (I'm aware they are exclusive of each other) The screen physically dims when I enable ULMB and the text appears a little better. I have RMA authority from scan, I'm just going to try a different cable as ive been told elsewhere a bad cable can cause these issues, however, personally I feel its either Gsync module or the back light

5. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

Somehow missed your post lol

Yes scan have arranged RMA for Monday, so I suspect ill be back on my 1080P for a week. Gonna grab a new displayport cable today as others have said dodgy cables can cause these issues

6. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

cable didn't fix it, RMA it is Monday, thanks all

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Can you opt for a 279? That uses a better IPS panel.

ULMB will dim because the backlight syncs to refresh, which drops is frequency considerably from 200+Hz to 120/144.

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Gsync has flickering issues with SLI fella.

9. Ryan@ASUS

Interesting, do you have some links/sources for this please? I'd be interested to take a look.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/42uq5a/new_gsync_monitor_flickers_when_launchingloading/

And it happened in Witcher 3 also.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/613958868357494581/

http://techreport.com/news/27449/g-sync-monitors-flicker-in-some-games-and-here-why

I used to get it a lot running two Titan Black with an Acer XB280HK. AFAIK it still hasn't been sorted.

11. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

It did it in single card mode and on my wifes PC on her single 670gtx, defo a problem with the screen, which has now been returned, fingers crossed for the replacement

12. Ryan@ASUS

Great thanks, certainly interesting reads. I'm not sure why its specific to SLI only if its due to the way G-Sync handles stalls in the game engine. Did you ever get your problem fixed? You say used to get it a lot, why do you stop getting it now?