bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 9th Dec 2016, 03:52   #21
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
I agree the menu bar thing is stupid, but I got used to it. It is also possible to remove that behaviour and change it to a per window menu using the unity-tweak-tool in the repository.
Yes, I know, but I've reached the point where I just want stuff to work, rather than spending hours tweaking it. The days I used to spend post-clean-install tweaking dozens of settings have gone (even for Windows, although with Windows the post-install ritual was more surrounding drivers). Largely, I admit, because I spend more and more time in the commandline, so as long as that is how I like it, I'm sorted.

Basically, the more I have to worry about the OS, the less time I spend working.

Last edited by Paradigm Shifter; 9th Dec 2016 at 03:53. Reason: Added comment.
Paradigm Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2016, 06:57   #22
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

edit: On OpenSUSE not supporting AMD graphics any more... well, what can I say? The last time I used SuSE, I was running a FireGL 8800. That, if nothing else, is telling for my opinions of SuSE. (I use CentOS when I have to, but generally I'm not a big fan of RPM based distros. )
I never said they're not supporting AMD at all, I said they're not supporting the binary blob driver. Open source AMD drivers are still welcome.
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2016, 07:14   #23
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post
I never said they're not supporting AMD at all, I said they're not supporting the binary blob driver. Open source AMD drivers are still welcome.
So no openCL?

edit: As I said, I've not used SuSE for a long time - probably over a decade now, and the last AMD/ATi card I had was a 4870X2 (although I have got a 6970 I tested out for a while which I got as a hand-me-down...) sadly, CUDA has become a deciding factor in my GPU purchases.

Last edited by Paradigm Shifter; 9th Dec 2016 at 07:16. Reason: Further thoughts
Paradigm Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2017, 21:48   #24
sullivan4234
What's a Dremel?

sullivan4234 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Linux Mint
sullivan4234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2017, 14:11   #25
killingit
Minimodder

killingit has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think it basically boils down to your use-case. I like Ubuntu, though.
killingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2017, 11:38   #26
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.
I'll add my two cents to this discussion, as I'm thinking about to leave Windows behind me for good and start trying to do all of my stuff on Linux, even if that means that I can't use any Adobe Software anymore, which is basically the only thing that still keeps me tied to Windows.

My requirements are pretty simple really. I need a stable system that doesn't require alot of maintenance. The system needs to be running graphics-software (GiMP, inkscape, Scribus) and ofc all the media-stuff for entertainment inbetween work.
The most critical part however might be scanner/printer support. If the distribution isn't able to run my scanner/printer, then it's useless.

Currently I'm looking at three candidates. Ubuntu Mate, Linux Mint Mate and Manjaro XFCE.

Ubuntu and Mint are basically the same thing, as Mint is a fork of Ubuntu. The reason why I would use Ubuntu Mate is, that the Unity-desktop has it's problems and Mate is more stable and I don't need any of the bling anyways. Both are having LTS-versions that are usable for some 5 years before a big update is needed.

Manjaro is in the race because it seems to be the most lightweight OS based on Arch and a very stripped down desktop. The problem tho is the rolling development approach, which might break things and I'm not sure if it has as much support as Ubuntu (Debian).

If hardware-support would be satisfactory (scanner/printer) and I could run all the needed software without problems on Manjaro XFCE, then I'm inclined to try it, but there's no guarantee down the road in comparison to Ubuntu/Mint due to the lack of an LTS-version.

It's a real shame that the Linux-market is this heavily fragmented, as this seems the main-reason why there isn't as much support for the platform from the hardware and software-developers.

Cooltek/Jonsbo U1 | Silverstone SX500-LG | Noctua NF-R8 Redux 1200
Gigabyte H97N-WiFi | intel i7-5775C | Noctua NH-D9L | Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3L1600 | Crucial MX200 250GB | 2.5" WD AV 1TB
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2017, 11:49   #27
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Unity is dead FYI, 18.04 returns to GNOME as main desktop.
faugusztin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2017, 12:20   #28
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.
Yeah, I know, but the current 16.04 LTS is still using Unity and the new 18.04 LTS will be using Gnome3. Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS uses Gnome2, which makes less problems than Gnome3 according to user-reviews.

Either way, the main-problem with the Linux-desktop still seems to be the very outdated X11 and there's no clear succesor so far. Wayland looks promising, but it's too early to call really and not alot of distributions use Wayland as of yet.

As I said, I could probably make any of those work for me, as I don't shy away from the command-prompt/terminal. Afterall I grew up with Basic and DOS and took several years of IT-classes from an early age on and am quite familiar with programming.
However, I don't want to spend alot of time dealing with OS-issues and trying to make things work. I've better things to do with my time

Gigabyte H97N-WiFi | intel i7-5775C | Noctua NH-D9L | Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3L1600 | Crucial MX200 250GB | 2.5" WD AV 1TB
Old 11th Apr 2017, 09:50   #29
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.badders is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If you install Ubuntu (any flavour, I happened to be using Xubuntu at the time) and install the ubuntu-gnome-desktop package through apt, on your login screen one of the options will be to run Gnome on Wayland. there's a few caveats - I couldn't run gparted on Wayland - I had to log out and switch back to normal Gnome.

Regarding Ubuntu Mate vs Linux Mint Mate, do the Mint team still recommend a full re-installation when moving versions? I've had no problems at all moving between versions on Xubuntu using do-release-upgrade, and TBH, I think that's been my main reason for sticking with Ubuntu over Mint.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2017, 12:03   #30
jrs77
theorycrafting

I don't know if it's possible or not, but I would allways recommend a fresh install between major versions, be it Linux, MacOS or Windows. Upgrading from one major release to another (14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS, Win7 to Win10, etc) will more often than not break things.

Anyways I'm currently abusing my Thinkpad to try out all the distros I'd be interested in. I'm currently plaiying with Antergos, which is not really a distribution, but more of a graphical installer for Arch Linux and a GUI of your choice. So basically I'm using Arch + Xfce as it's the smallest and simplest currently.

It's blazing fast I must say, even on my old Thinkpad x121e, but it's not a flawless experience so far, as I'm having trouble configuring it to my liking.

EDIT: I switched the GUI to Mate now on the Arch install, and it's perfect. 600MB after bootup, and the i3-2367M has absolutely no troubles running the machine with a very snappy feel to it. Gimp works without problems so far, as does inkscape and all the other usual suspects like Firefox, VLC, etc work just fine aswell.

Don't know when I'll try this on my main-PC, but I don't think that'll make any problems there either.

Last edited by jrs77; 11th Apr 2017 at 17:50.