bit-tech.net

Old 20th Feb 2017, 15:23   #181
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawjaws View Post
My concern, as someone who's looking to buy an ITX board and CPU in the next couple of weeks, is that there don't look to be many mITX Ryzen boards in the works any time soon, which is disappointing. There's still time for a couple of good mITX boards to pop out of the woodwork but I can't wait several months for them to materialise if they're not available at launch.
Agreed. The lack of X370 MATX boards is a deal breaker for me.
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2017, 15:36   #182
Vault-Tec
Green Plastic Watering Can

Vault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post
Agreed. The lack of X370 MATX boards is a deal breaker for me.
You don't need a 370 to overclock though.

I would imagine the companies will know what they are doing, and will know the market reasonably well. I'm sure we will see more ITX and MATX boards but for right now they will just be concentrating on bringing in cash.

Edit. The B350M Mortar by MSI is $90 and has a reasonably sized heatsink on the VRMs.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Vault-Tec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2017, 15:41   #183
Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming Saiyan
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu...een_pictured/1

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 20th Feb 2017, 15:51   #184
bawjaws
Mod Master

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault-Tec View Post
You don't need a 370 to overclock though.

I would imagine the companies will know what they are doing, and will know the market reasonably well. I'm sure we will see more ITX and MATX boards but for right now they will just be concentrating on bringing in cash.

Edit. The B350M Mortar by MSI is $90 and has a reasonably sized heatsink on the VRMs.
Yeah, looks like mITX enthusiasts might miss the boat at launch, although you never know. Unfortunate, really, but as you say motherboard manufacturers will be concentrating on the larger market segments first. For me personally, it's disappointing as no mITX Ryzen boards means I'll have to buy Intel even if Ryzen is the best thing since sliced bread.

The other thing I hope is that we don't see any nasty "launch day" glitches with any motherboards, like we have in the past with certain new product launches. AMD and their board partners have to get this right first time.
bawjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2017, 16:04   #185
Vault-Tec

I would strongly imagine the reason there are no ITX boards yet are because the initial wave of Ryzen will be very high end and they don't have a GPU at all.

I spoke to Asrock a few years back and they basically said that the reason they have never made any AM3+ ITX boards is because they don't have an iGPU. This means that you absolutely must fit a GPU which then takes up the only available slot.

Which makes sense I guess. I would imagine the true ITX crowd* are quite small any way.

* I know of a lot of people who tried ITX but then went back to a full sized rig. Not many stuck with it tbh.

But yeah I would expect them to be more forthcoming when we get the Ryzen APU around September time.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 21st Feb 2017, 00:16   #186
Vault-Tec

Coolers -

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu...coolers_leak/1

Possible ECC support -

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu...ry_at_launch/1

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 21st Feb 2017, 02:32   #187
TheMadDutchDude
Flying Dutchman

TheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The best part of those coolers is that they are RGB enabled!

I kid, of course... that's not the best part. It's true, though.
ASUS X99-Deluxe/U3.1 | Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.2 GHz | Custom CPU Water Cooling | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | 2x ASUS STRIX RX480@RX580 8GB with VRAM strap mod | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 1kW | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F
TheMadDutchDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2017, 03:20   #188
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Push pins... are they having a ****ing laugh? If i ever opt for RyZen, that 'spire' cooler is going straight in the bin.

Yes i know, we're all enthusiasts here who wouldn't normally touch the stock cooler with a barge pole anyway... but push pins can still gtfo...

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2017, 06:07   #189
spolsh
Supermodder

spolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyanspolsh is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nah, push pins are awesome ... easy and quick, no special back plates or other nonsense, even better, it means the cooler can't be stupidly heavy too.

(and they'll mostly get left in the box any way as people pick huge towers for their new rigs).
Old 21st Feb 2017, 09:13   #190
Parge
the worst

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault-Tec View Post
I would strongly imagine the reason there are no ITX boards yet are because the initial wave of Ryzen will be very high end and they don't have a GPU at all.

I spoke to Asrock a few years back and they basically said that the reason they have never made any AM3+ ITX boards is because they don't have an iGPU. This means that you absolutely must fit a GPU which then takes up the only available slot.

Which makes sense I guess. I would imagine the true ITX crowd* are quite small any way.

* I know of a lot of people who tried ITX but then went back to a full sized rig. Not many stuck with it tbh.

But yeah I would expect them to be more forthcoming when we get the Ryzen APU around September time.
Really? I would say that is where the enthusiasts are moving and staying nowadays... there are now whole websites just devoted to just ITX (SFF Forum)..... every single crowd funded case project is ITX (NCase, Sentry, DanCase etc etc)....

Oh and...... there actually are AM4 ITX Boards already confirmed and coming.....

Silverstone FT03 Mini - i7 4790S - Noctua NH-L9i - Gigabyte GTX 1070 'ITX Edition' - Maximus Impact VII - 16GB DDR3 - 1TB NVME - SF600 - AOC Agon AG271QG - Xonar U7 - Bassshaker - RAT3 - Majestouch Minila - Q90s - Orbweaver - Warthog
Parge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2017, 09:19   #191
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge View Post
Oh and...... there actually are AM4 ITX Boards already confirmed and coming.....
[snip picture]]
By the look of things, that's designed for the upcoming APUs, not the about-to-launch CPUs: it has HDMI (1.4b? boo-hiss.) and DVI outputs, but no integrated GPU. Not saying it won't launch before September's APU releases for people to stick CPUs in and ignore the motherboard's video outputs, but it'd be strange if it did.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2017, 09:37   #192
Anfield
Mod Master

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge View Post
Really? I would say that is where the enthusiasts are moving and staying nowadays... there are now whole websites just devoted to just ITX (SFF Forum)..... every single crowd funded case project is ITX (NCase, Sentry, DanCase etc etc)....
While I agree with the part about the websites and cases, even on the intel side mainboard manufacturers are still releasing like 20 ATX models for each MATX / ITX one they put out.
R7 1800X, ASRock X370 Taichi, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 DDR4, ASUS Strix 1080TI OC, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 4TB WD Black, EVGA T2 1KW, Lian Li PC-O9WX, EK Supremacy Evo, EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Ducky Shine 6 (Brown Switches), Logitech G402, AOC U3477PQU (34" 21:9 ftw)
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2017, 09:52   #193
Parge
the worst

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
While I agree with the part about the websites and cases, even on the intel side mainboard manufacturers are still releasing like 20 ATX models for each MATX / ITX one they put out.
I didn't say we were there yet.... but there's certainly a movement towards ITX....

Silverstone FT03 Mini - i7 4790S - Noctua NH-L9i - Gigabyte GTX 1070 'ITX Edition' - Maximus Impact VII - 16GB DDR3 - 1TB NVME - SF600 - AOC Agon AG271QG - Xonar U7 - Bassshaker - RAT3 - Majestouch Minila - Q90s - Orbweaver - Warthog
Parge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2017, 09:54   #194
N17 dizzi
Mod Amateur

N17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
This. Having been shopping for an itx system for a couple of weeks I have noticed how ATX still reigns supreme. I think small form will continue to grow in popularity, though.
N17 dizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2017, 10:04   #195
bawjaws
Mod Master

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
By the look of things, that's designed for the upcoming APUs, not the about-to-launch CPUs: it has HDMI (1.4b? boo-hiss.) and DVI outputs, but no integrated GPU. Not saying it won't launch before September's APU releases for people to stick CPUs in and ignore the motherboard's video outputs, but it'd be strange if it did.
Aye, all of the scuttlebutt I've heard suggests that Ryzen mITX boards will arrive once the APUs launch, but that next to no-one will be releasing any before then. Boo!

Given that I don't want to wait until September for my new build, I'll be buying Intel again. Shame, as Ryzen looks pretty tasty, but there we go.

I definitely agree with Parge that mITX is growing in popularity, and that the compromises that you might have had to make going mITX are fewer now than they ever have been (just look at that AsRock X99 mITX board for an example). That said, it's still a niche market and board manufacturers will focus on the larger slice of the market first, then address the smaller segments in turn. Just the way it is.
Old 21st Feb 2017, 10:15   #196
Vault-Tec

People have been so used to using Intel CPUs for so long that I would bet my breeches if there was an ITX board at launch many of them would be returned as faulty.

ITX = niche market.
ITX with a fat GPU and poweful CPU? = even more niche.

Dan's case etc etc are nice, but how many do we see on here on a regular basis? one? two?

If I took all of those luxury ITX cases and added them all up on other forums I visit the total count would be none. Every one is going mental for glass and lights ATM.

The board manus will know the market better than we do, and they will know what people want. Once we get the APU? I will probably build myself a nice ITX HTPC. Not had one since Windows XP/Core 2.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 21st Feb 2017, 10:26   #197
bawjaws
Mod Master

Just because you don't see many ITX builds doesn't mean that there aren't plenty out there Sure, they are a niche and no-one's pretending otherwise, and sure, manufacturers will address core markets ahead of niche ones, but there obviously is a market for full-fat enthusiast mITX otherwise we wouldn't have seen Z-series and X99 mITX boards over the past few years. Manufacturers won't make these boards unless they actually sell, so they must sell.

I'm a bit confused by this sentence - "People have been so used to using Intel CPUs for so long that I would bet my breeches if there was an ITX board at launch many of them would be returned as faulty." Would you mind explaining it to me? Think it's either a bit unclear or it's just too early in the morning for me
Old 21st Feb 2017, 10:29   #198
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
I'm a bit confused by this sentence - "People have been so used to using Intel CPUs for so long that I would bet my breeches if there was an ITX board at launch many of them would be returned as faulty." Would you mind explaining it to me? Think it's either a bit unclear or it's just too early in the morning for me
I think he's saying that because almost all mainstream Intel CPUs also include integrated graphics, they work with an ITX board sans-GPU without difficulty; no initial-launch Ryzen chips include integrated graphics, though, so if you stick 'em in an ITX without a GPU you'll get the square root of nothing out of the HDMI/DVI port - which would make people who haven't done their research think "bah, must be faulty" rather than "oh, unlike Intel these don't have integrated graphics."
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2017, 10:44   #199
Vault-Tec

Quote:
Just because you don't see many ITX builds doesn't mean that there aren't plenty out there Sure, they are a niche and no-one's pretending otherwise, and sure, manufacturers will address core markets ahead of niche ones, but there obviously is a market for full-fat enthusiast mITX otherwise we wouldn't have seen Z-series and X99 mITX boards over the past few years. Manufacturers won't make these boards unless they actually sell, so they must sell.

I'm autistic. PCs are an obsession to me, not just a subject I enthuse about (which I do, but a bit too much ). Any way I spent most of my day reading build logs etc. I prefer reading build logs from the little guy. Any way, hardly any are ITX. Sure, there was a big explosion of ITX a few years back but many soon realised that most cases were not compatible with large GPUs etc. I know when I looked for one I had terrible trouble finding one that even supported a full length GPU. Then I realised I had to hold the PSU in one hand and fit the GPU with the other.. Yeah, quite frustrating ETC. Thing is, most of the ITX cases were either tiny or absolutely friggin' huge (like the Prodigy etc).

So as such I never bothered trying those sorts of hand gymnastics again and just went back to my huge great Alienwares. If I have them on a desk next to me they're no less annoying than a tiny ITX rig.

And yeah, Gareth hit the nail on the head. You gotta remember, most of the young PC crowd have probably never even used an AMD CPU let alone built a rig with one in.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 21st Feb 2017, 10:45   #200
Harlequin
Banned

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
But AMD already have an AM4 based apu , you can buy it today in a HP based system today
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote