bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 26th Apr 2017, 12:48   #721
heir flick
Ultramodder

heir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyer View Post
While I've only had it up and running for a few days, it seems pretty damn stable. No issues @4Ghz - I just set the voltage to 1.4 (and some change) and multiplier to 40x, and it all went without a hitch. Even the RAM (which apparently have given people issues on current BIOSes) has no complaints running at 3200Mhz on 1.35V. The most recent Gigabyte BIOS (F5) seems very solid. CPU registers at 23C (given our low airtemps these days), and I'm anxious to see if I can persuade it to go further since reviews seem to indicate that 4Ghz is the sweetspot for the 1700. Would love to see a sub 20sec blender run though...
ive found ram a issue, on kingston fury 2400 my 1700 does 4ghz easy but with corsair 3200 im stuck on 3.8ghz but not really had time to tinker with the settings to get more
heir flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2017, 13:37   #722
Omnislip
Modder

Omnislip has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by heir flick View Post
ive found ram a issue, on kingston fury 2400 my 1700 does 4ghz easy but with corsair 3200 im stuck on 3.8ghz but not really had time to tinker with the settings to get more
This is interesting - do you know if the Kingston RAM is higher quality in some way other than the frequency?
Omnislip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2017, 13:46   #723
shoxicwaste
Maxii

shoxicwaste has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
So...I caved. I am now running Win10, and I did a Blender run on the Ryzen file.
Here's my result:

22.86 seconds @4Ghz and RAM @3200Mhz
What sort of temps are you getting at 4ghz under idle and load scenarios? I saw earlier you mentioned fabricating a water block for AM4 and getting 14c in bios, which is much lower than mine (I was expecting this temp tbh).

I'm cooling with an h115i AIO and really I'm far from impressed with the results... not sure if it's the H115i AIO or the CPU just running hot. Even at default clock, it's around 40-60c idle then <75c under load.

When I OC to 4ghz I've seen temps get to around 96-97c and even have had thermal shutdown now i'm running with offsets but nothing too much to avoid the high temps
shoxicwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2017, 13:52   #724
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I have the same cooler on a 6700k at 4.5ghz overclock and my idle temps are below 25c load is around 52c. You have either not fitted the cooler correctly or the overclock requires too much voltage.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2017, 14:11   #725
Journeyer
Mod Master

Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoxicwaste View Post
What sort of temps are you getting at 4ghz under idle and load scenarios? I saw earlier you mentioned fabricating a water block for AM4 and getting 14c in bios, which is much lower than mine (I was expecting this temp tbh).
I'm not sure, yet, what the load temps are, but I plan on testing this later tonight as I hope to get time to play around with it some more. My admittedly very good temps is due to my cooling system though (by the way, that thread is ancient - things have been updated and upgraded quite a bit since those days). I'm running the venerable silver DangerDen TDX block (I just had to fabricate new fasteners for it), but my coolant tank and radiator sits outside underneath the terrace to our house. As we are currently having air-temperatures around the 4C mark - well, that does wonders for keeping the chip cool.

Gigabyte Aorus X370 || Ryzen 1700@4Ghz || 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz || GTX1070 FE || 2x750 EVO 250Gb RAID0 for OS
Journeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2017, 14:31   #726
TheMadDutchDude
Flying Dutchman

TheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming Saiyan
You can't get down to 14c unless your ambient is at 14 or below.
ASUS X99-Deluxe/U3.1 | Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.2 GHz | Custom CPU Water Cooling | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | 2x ASUS STRIX RX480@RX580 8GB with VRAM strap mod | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 1kW | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F
TheMadDutchDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2017, 16:19   #727
heir flick
Ultramodder

heir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for presidentheir flick should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnislip View Post
This is interesting - do you know if the Kingston RAM is higher quality in some way other than the frequency?
hard to say. from what ive read the best ram to use is Samsung single sided, the corsair vengeance led will run at 3200mhz no problem but it has effected my overclock.

I'm leaving it at 3.8ghx and 3200 on the ram for now as asus should be bringing a new bios next month so I will have another fiddle with it then
Old 26th Apr 2017, 16:28   #728
Journeyer
Mod Master

Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.Journeyer is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
You can't get down to 14c unless your ambient is at 14 or below.
True.
I have been running my cooling system for seven years now, but I am still thrilled at seeing negative coolant temperatures in the winter. Fun stuff.

Gigabyte Aorus X370 || Ryzen 1700@4Ghz || 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz || GTX1070 FE || 2x750 EVO 250Gb RAID0 for OS
Old 26th Apr 2017, 17:42   #729
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What is a killer for Ryzen, when it comes to clocks is ranks. Single rank modules are less demanding on memory subsystem than double rank, thus allowing higher clocks. And probably also less limiting for OC - flick's memory controller might have been at edge of stability, and using a dual rank memory or higher clock made the whole OC unstable.
faugusztin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2017, 18:24   #730
heir flick
Ultramodder

Well this is strange looked up info on the ram and found it is supposed to be samsung, tried 4GHZ again with ram at 3200hz and booted fine, ran Cinebench and passed no problem and all with the same settings I tried before
Old 28th Apr 2017, 07:17   #731
Journeyer
Mod Master

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I finally caved and installed Win10. Until yesterday this has been all fine and dandy, but yesterday evening I sat down and finally found the time to fix the extruder for my 3D-printer, and to install a leadscrew upgrade for my z-axis. Happy with my work I fired it up, installed Arduino drivers on Win10 and started working on calibrating the new z-axis. That's when I encountered some problems.

Pronterface connects to the printer, and I can move the axes around, but when I actually try to print something it fails and freezes after about 10-20 seconds into the print - consistently (and the printer makes a rather unpleasant noise - something akin to torturing badgers). If I connect the printer to a Win7 laptop, it works fine. Possibly a driver issue? I don't know yet, so I will have to apply my google-fu for a bit...

So yeah, not entirely happy with the move to Win10...

The Ryzen however is still beautiful (though I haven't tried upping the clocks more yet ... the printer adventures took most of yesterday evening).

Old 28th Apr 2017, 08:46   #732
edzieba
Virtual Realist

edzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I finally caved and installed Win10. Until yesterday this has been all fine and dandy, but yesterday evening I sat down and finally found the time to fix the extruder for my 3D-printer, and to install a leadscrew upgrade for my z-axis. Happy with my work I fired it up, installed Arduino drivers on Win10 and started working on calibrating the new z-axis. That's when I encountered some problems.

Pronterface connects to the printer, and I can move the axes around, but when I actually try to print something it fails and freezes after about 10-20 seconds into the print - consistently (and the printer makes a rather unpleasant noise - something akin to torturing badgers). If I connect the printer to a Win7 laptop, it works fine. Possibly a driver issue? I don't know yet, so I will have to apply my google-fu for a bit...

So yeah, not entirely happy with the move to Win10...

The Ryzen however is still beautiful (though I haven't tried upping the clocks more yet ... the printer adventures took most of yesterday evening).
If your printer receives commands directly rather than receiving the entire print and running itself, then check the baud rate for serial communications is correct. Old serial comms mean you need to configure everything manually, no OS automagic possible here.
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2017, 09:08   #733
Journeyer
Mod Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
If your printer receives commands directly rather than receiving the entire print and running itself, then check the baud rate for serial communications is correct. Old serial comms mean you need to configure everything manually, no OS automagic possible here.
Hmm, that's a good point. Though I didn't have to do this for Win7 - then it was pretty much plug and play. I'll have a look later. This might also be a good time to invest in that SD-reader for the Arduino. Though, I'd still have to use the PC for calibration obviously...

Old 28th Apr 2017, 09:58   #734
heir flick
Ultramodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
Good stuff, a Ryzen build is so tempting at the mo, trying to hold off until things stabilize but the want for new gear is strong.
you should get one mate, right up your street with lots of fiddling about to squeeze out every bit of extra performance
Old 28th Apr 2017, 10:11   #735
sandys
Mod Master

sandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I know, the want is strong , I just want more PCIe for NVMe drives and GPUs so holding out to see what the HEDT platforms offer before I go settling on the X370 Taichi which is my favoured board at the mo.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2017, 10:32   #736
heir flick
Ultramodder

the Taichi was on my wanted list along with the crosshair and gigabyte k7 but the crosshair came up first so jumped on one
Old 28th Apr 2017, 10:41   #737
sandys
Mod Master

sandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitsandys is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Yes I would of jumped on the CH6 were it not for the M2 location, having one of my Samsung 961s which can over heat and throttle underneath some hot GPUs is not ideal, the Taichi has it above the 1st GPU.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2017, 13:51   #738
heir flick
Ultramodder

I know what you mean, I have a intel 600p but its not too bad as I have a 200mm fan blowing over it but I can see crossfire might cause issues, cant remember which one but one of the x370'S has a m2 slot at the front and back if it
Old 17th May 2017, 09:52   #739
The_Crapman
Don't phone it's just for fun.

The_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I thought hulk hogan already had the copyright on 'threadripper'.
i5 3570K@4.4, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, EVGA GTX 970 Cheesecake@1517/7700, 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz CL10, Enermax Revolution 1050W, Samsung 840 EVO 120GB , Fractal Arc Midi R2, Dell U2412M, CM Rapid-i w/Browns, R.A.T. 7, Kingston HyperX Cloud
XSPC Twin DDC Dual Bay Res, 2x Laing DDC-1T Plus, Alphacool NexXxoS XP≥ Light, Alphacool NexXxoS NVXP GTX760 Full Cover Copper Block, Alphacool Heatmaster II, 2x 240mm Alphacool ST30, 5x
Xigmatec CLF 120mm LED Fans
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 23:44   #740
Ficky Pucker
I <3 Music

Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.
i'm tempted to go back to AMD, my first crappy prebuilt and my first build both had AMD cpu's, i'm getting nostalgic i guess...

for someone who's not in a hurry to upgrade (but with money burning a hole in a pocket) do you guys think it'd be better to wait for coffee lake and see if there are any price drops (and maybe by some miracle reasonably priced new intel CPU's ) ?
Ficky Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote