bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 11th Feb 2017, 09:46   #61
23RO_UK
Hasta Maņana

23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyRhys View Post
You're not understanding me - what I'm saying is that no matter what settings you see in Blender, it's rendering at a lower sample rate. That's the only explanation I can think of for your score; it's categorically impossible for a 6600K at 4.8GHz to be achieving these results legitimately at a sample rate of 150. A cursory glance at the spreadsheet would tell you this.
I understand you totally, however I'm using the same settings as everyone else and unless you can suggest a way to prove your conspiracy theory then I would simply say it is but a synthetic benchmark that is flawed.

Below are my full system specs -

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel i5 6600k day to day at a sedate 4.8GHz @ 1.325V
AsRock Z170M OCF Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Elite 16Gb kit (2x8Gb) running at 12 13 13 28 1T @ 2666MHz
Zotac 1070 Amp
Samsung NVMe 960 M.2 Evo SSD

(You may wish to change your tin foil hat about now also)
23RO_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2017, 10:12   #62
LennyRhys
Fan Fan

LennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think this is getting a bit out of hand when you start talking about conspiracy theories and tinfoil hats - I'm just evaluating the results that are posted in the thread, and your results deviate significantly from every other submission. It's obvious that something's up with your install/configuration of Blender.
Old 11th Feb 2017, 10:19   #63
23RO_UK
Hasta Maņana

23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
I think this is getting a bit out of hand when you start talking about conspiracy theories and tinfoil hats - I'm just evaluating the results that are posted in the thread, and your results deviate significantly from every other submission. It's obvious that something's up with your install/configuration of Blender.
In a word, whatever.

Unless you know of the PC software equivalent of a cavity search or drugs test you might have me perform...??

You have to consider variables such as OS, overclocks, latency, bandwidth etc etc etc in all of this also...

In the interim it is what it is.
23RO_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2017, 12:05   #64
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think Paul's score shows that perhaps the Blender test isn't an entirely reliable metric - I've spent the last couple of hours running various configurations.

Each time I make a change, I run the benchmark three times:

Bumping the clock speed from 4.6 to 4.7GHz with the RAM at 2400MHz gains me another second ~ 46.6 secs. I'm running in a SFF case so I'm not willing to push the CPU further without putting it in my spare case with an AIO.

I then ran the benchmark at that speed with the ram at 2666MHz with both tight and loose timings , and the gains were negligible - I did see 46.4 secs on one run but the average was still 46.5-46.6 secs.

Running the same tests with HT disabled adds approx 20 secs to the time.

If such a discrepancy exists between 6600K and 6700K on Z170 boards, it casts doubt on the performance claims about Ryzen too.

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|980 Ti|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2017, 13:22   #65
Vault-Tec
Green Plastic Watering Can

Vault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming Saiyan
David - same thing happened to me when I went from 4.5 - 4.6ghz. I actually scored an extra second.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Vault-Tec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2017, 14:19   #66
Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming Saiyan
OK a little more info. Apparently this is what is believed to be a 1700x running the Integer test in CPUMark.

So I decided to run this on my Xeon (8c 16t 3.4). I got this.

You can get it here.

https://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm

And only have to run the one test. Takes a couple of seconds.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 11th Feb 2017, 14:21   #67
bawjaws
Mod Master

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think Paul's score shows that perhaps the Blender test isn't an entirely reliable metric - I've spent the last couple of hours running various configurations.

If such a discrepancy exists between 6600K and 6700K on Z170 boards, it casts doubt on the performance claims about Ryzen too.
Yep, just goes to show that a single benchmark (and unknown hardware configuration) doesn't make for a reliable indication of Ryzen's capabilities. Let's wait and see how Ryzen fares in replicable, directly comparable real-world testing.
bawjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2017, 14:26   #68
Vault-Tec

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawjaws View Post
Yep, just goes to show that a single benchmark (and unknown hardware configuration) doesn't make for a reliable indication of Ryzen's capabilities. Let's wait and see how Ryzen fares in replicable, directly comparable real-world testing.
It's not an unknown configuration dude. The file provided by AMD is exactly as they ran it. There may be other variables coming into play here, like cache for example. Don't you overclock it on the new processors? well that could be why they fare so well compared to higher C/T CPUs.

Any way, we now have some more info and another bench to try. Let's see if we get the same sort of hierarchy using this test.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 11th Feb 2017, 14:27   #69
M2r1o
Minimodder

M2r1o has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i5 6600K at default speed ( topped at 3.89 Ghz turbo during test) + 16 GB RAM at 2400 Mhz (2x8).

Ran it 5 times and the best result was 52:80.
M2r1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2017, 14:35   #70
bawjaws
Mod Master

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault-Tec View Post
It's not an unknown configuration dude. The file provided by AMD is exactly as they ran it. There may be other variables coming into play here, like cache for example. Don't you overclock it on the new processors? well that could be why they fare so well compared to higher C/T CPUs.

Any way, we now have some more info and another bench to try. Let's see if we get the same sort of hierarchy using this test.
I was referring to the hardware configuration, not Blender.
bawjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2017, 14:52   #71
LennyRhys
Fan Fan

LennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2r1o View Post
i5 6600K at default speed ( topped at 3.89 Ghz turbo during test) + 16 GB RAM at 2400 Mhz (2x8).

Pretty much what I get with my 5820K at stock (51.18), exact same RAM speed too.

Very strange results from these shifty 6600K users.
Old 11th Feb 2017, 15:03   #72
Vault-Tec

Quote:
Pretty much what I get with my 5820K at stock (51.18), exact same RAM speed too.

Very strange results from these shifty 6600K users.
I don't know dude. I do know that Skylake was up to 15% faster than DC i some things. I just put it down to DDR4 vs the DDR3 but now I am not so sure. As I say, doesn't the cache clock a lot higher on Sky/Kaby?

CPU mark seems to make sense. The 6800k stock scored ever so slightly less than my 8c 16t Ivy at the same clocks. Which would make sense, given I have 10 core cache on an 8 core CPU a couple of gens behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawjaws View Post
I was referring to the hardware configuration, not Blender.
Oh I see. Ah well, we've got another one to try now

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 11th Feb 2017, 15:22   #73
Comrade Woody
Obsolete

Comrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming Saiyan

i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz
74.33 seconds

Addendum: This was with 2.78b x64
System: i5 2500K @4.4GHz | Dark Rock ADVANCED | Asus P8P67 | 16GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G | Seasonic X-750 | 250GB 850 EVO | 750GB MX300 | 1TB Samsung F3 | iHAS 424 | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | 10 Pro

Peripherals: Dell U2311H | LG 29UC88 | Logitech X-210 | Roccat Kone XTD | Steelseries Apex M800

Last edited by Comrade Woody; 11th Feb 2017 at 16:12.
Comrade Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2017, 15:40   #74
LennyRhys
Fan Fan

Problem solved - the ridiculously fast 6600K renders are not comparable because they use the most recent version of Blender which was released 8th Feb (ver 2.78b). This version appears to be around 40% faster than the previous one, LOL.

It would probably have been a good starting point to stipulate we all use the same version of the software. Oh, hindsight how I love thee.

Here's my score (HT off) with the new version of Blender:

So can people please use version 2.78a if they want their results in the table? Or is there any point any more?
Old 11th Feb 2017, 15:40   #75
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I7 2600 @ stock (obviously)

66.6 seconds.
CrapBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2017, 15:45   #76
LennyRhys
Fan Fan

Quote:

Each time I make a change, I run the benchmark three times:

Bumping the clock speed from 4.6 to 4.7GHz with the RAM at 2400MHz gains me another second ~ 46.6 secs. I'm running in a SFF case so I'm not willing to push the CPU further without putting it in my spare case with an AIO.

I then ran the benchmark at that speed with the ram at 2666MHz with both tight and loose timings , and the gains were negligible - I did see 46.4 secs on one run but the average was still 46.5-46.6 secs.

Running the same tests with HT disabled adds approx 20 secs to the time.

In light of the above information, I think the comparisons are OK for this sort of thing - a lot like we did with Geekbench all dem years ago.
Old 11th Feb 2017, 16:05   #77
M2r1o
Minimodder

M2r1o has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2r1o View Post

2.78a installed, best time is now 92:86 (out of 3 runs). No other changes.
M2r1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2017, 16:07   #78
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yeah, just ran 2.78b and scored 33.85 secs.

That's quite a difference.

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|980 Ti|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2017, 16:10   #79
Comrade Woody
Obsolete

Comrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming SaiyanComrade Woody is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrapBag View Post
I7 2600 @ stock (obviously)

66.6 seconds.
I approve of this time
System: i5 2500K @4.4GHz | Dark Rock ADVANCED | Asus P8P67 | 16GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G | Seasonic X-750 | 250GB 850 EVO | 750GB MX300 | 1TB Samsung F3 | iHAS 424 | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | 10 Pro

Peripherals: Dell U2311H | LG 29UC88 | Logitech X-210 | Roccat Kone XTD | Steelseries Apex M800
Comrade Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2017, 16:17   #80
LennyRhys
Fan Fan

Quote:
Yeah, just ran 2.78b and scored 33.85 secs.

That's quite a difference.
Interestingly enough, just a tad slower than six physical cores without HT.

Going by what other people have been saying, background programs also have quite an impact on results as well. I used to run Geekbench in diagnostic mode... I wonder if Blender would benefit from the same.