bit-tech.net

Old 18th Feb 2017, 14:37   #141
LennyRhys
Fan Fan

LennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Thing is, I get much the same score even if I drop to 1866MHz, which is DDR3 territory.

Old 18th Feb 2017, 15:42   #142
Vault-Tec
Green Plastic Watering Can

Vault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I haven't really looked into it. Do you have your BCLK running faster than 100mhz? are my ram timings crap? I really don't know dude. I just load up my rig and run the benchmark, that's what I score.

Any way, I think the point here isn't that the 5820k is faster. It should be, it costs nearly £400. The Ryzen 1600X is set to cost around $259.

Even at £300 it would make my prediction spot on. You could have gotten the same sort of CPU speed, higher end board and still saved £100 or more.

TBH we should not even be comparing it to the 5820k. We should be comparing it to the 7600k which costs $17 less than the forthcoming 1600x. Or maybe even the 7700k which currently costs £327 on Amazon. So even if it cost a penny less than that you still get two more cores.

AMD said that basically Ryzen can match Broadwell E. That means the 1600X is comparable to the 6800k only it isn't because the 6800k costs £427.

I made my prediction (solid) ages and ages ago. I said that AMD would basically price match everything Intel sold only you would get the next model up. So for example the 7600k quad core no HT. I predicted you would basically get a quad core *with* HT for the same price or less.

What I didn't know was how aggressive AMD would be. It is looking like you will get 6 cores with HT for just a tiny bit more cash.

I've also heard people saying that AMD won't make any money charging what they are for Ryzen but that also is BS. Right now they are getting about £100 for an 8 core CPU. They are charging £80 or £90 for a 6 core CPU. All of a sudden they can double/triple/quadruple those prices and people think that is bad.

TBH the whole launch will just show how greedy Intel are being. £185 for a dual core with HT. Let's see what AMD give you for that. Right now it is looking like the Ryzen 1300. $175 for 4 cores with 8 threads. I7 territory for almost half the price.

I'm not having a dig at you Lenny. It will seem like I am, because I just think you bought at the wrong time. And I am right, you did. However, I am not knocking what you chose at all. You bought a formidable CPU and I have done *exactly* the same thing. About 6 weeks before the 1070 and 1080 came along I spent £420 on a Titan X (M) and £40 on a AIO kit (EVGA) and £17 for a back plate. So nearly £500. The 1070 came out for less than £400. So I have done it too.

I did that though so I would not line Nvidia's pockets. I bought it all SH (with warranty though of course).

MUWC Winner ROTT
Vault-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2017, 15:55   #143
TheMadDutchDude
Flying Dutchman

TheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm with the above, Lenny. 800 points isn't destroying it when you're at 1 GHz faster compared to the Ryzen chip.

Memory frequency doesn't matter for the CPUZ benchmark.
Gamer: ASUS X99-Deluxe/U3.1 | Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.2 GHz | Custom CPU Water Cooling | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | 2x ASUS STRIX RX480 8GB | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 1kW | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass | Win 10 Home | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920
Ultrabook: ASUS ZenBook UX305F
TheMadDutchDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2017, 16:22   #144
Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I will look into it later. These days I do not even use my high end rig. I found that real water with 600 RPM fans was just so nice. So I whacked a 8c 16t in, no sweat. The Fury X seems to handle gaming easily enough in the games I am playing atm (Dead Rising 3 mainly) so I just CBA sitting next to a typhoon. My big powerful rig uses "up to" 2400 RPM fans. That is what I need to keep the temps around the same as my other rig with the 8 core in it. I also wanted to preserve that rig and I only use it when I absolutely have to (like Fallout 4 which I have still not tried yet but suspect my Fury X would choke on VRAM textures...).

I expect Intel to hit back with more for less. It seems that only Intel can push forward threading. AMD tried with the FX series but they were just not good enough for any one to take them even remotely seriously. As such Intel have pretty much controlled how many cores they want desktop users to have, and as such devs just code for the mainstream.

I am not interested in anything AMD are selling. I will admit I did get the twinge a couple of times and I did plan to build a Ryzen rig (see also Dianoga, fully mean and full water cooled ready for Ryzen as a drop in) but now I just CBA. Maybe I am getting old?

What I want to see is a core war. I am so with Bindi on that (great article btw dude). I want more cores to become standard. If they do? why would I change my rigs? I already have a 8c 16t CPU based on Ivy, more than man enough to take care of anything even now, let alone if it gets more support.

However I suspect that no matter how good Ryzen may be (even after the Intel fanboys have done imploding and throwing their strops) it is only really Intel who can push us forward. It's only them devs will suck up to and support. So even if Ryzen is incredible what I am most interested in seeing is threading. And I have been a "core whore" for years now just waiting on support.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 18th Feb 2017, 16:53   #145
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Probably the most logical post you have ever written.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2017, 17:08   #146
TheMadDutchDude
Flying Dutchman

TheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming SaiyanTheMadDutchDude is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Great post there.

You just need to control your fans better. My chip only hits into the 60s under prime with AVX and that's on a 20-30% fan profile. The fans don't typically go above 1200 RPM under full load, which it never hits unless Prime is involved.
Gamer: ASUS X99-Deluxe/U3.1 | Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.2 GHz | Custom CPU Water Cooling | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | 2x ASUS STRIX RX480 8GB | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 1kW | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass | Win 10 Home | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920
Old 18th Feb 2017, 17:37   #147
LennyRhys
Fan Fan

LennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming SaiyanLennyRhys is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault-Tec
I'm not having a dig at you Lenny. It will seem like I am, because I just think you bought at the wrong time. And I am right, you did.
It's cool man, I don't think you're having a dig at all - you've made your position clear and it's cool with me. Waiting for Ryzen simply wasn't an option for me because I was able to get good components at good prices (£140 for 32GB of DDR4 was an offer I simply couldn't refuse) and I already knew performance wouldn't compete with new hardware because I'm using technology from 2014.

Another thing worth mentioning here as well is the release date of the 6C/12T Ryzen parts, which is not supposed to be until Q3 this year (tbc, obviously). If that's the case, then I'd have had to wait another 5-7 months to save £100 on a superior CPU... not a great incentive any more.

Intel are really going to have to pull their socks up if they want to compete with AMD this time round, and I'm neither an Intel nor AMD fanboy. I'm an end-user and will buy what is appropriate to my needs at the time I require it.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 17:42   #148
23RO_UK
Hasta Mañana

23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
To be fair, the same golden rule is as much applicable now as it always has been - a PC is only as fast as it's slowest component, a balanced rig will always be the better bet.

What's the point in having a Uber CPU if it's coupled with average speed memory with sh*te timings and a flaky memory controller??

Secondly, what's the point in paying through the nose for kit you'll game on occasionally??

Vanity?

You only have to look at the Marketplace on occasions to see that vanity sure as f*ck doesn't pay the bills...
23RO_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2017, 17:56   #149
Anfield
Mod Master

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault-Tec View Post
I expect Intel to hit back with more for less.
Do they even have to hit back?

Unless Ryzen oc's like crazy the 6600k / 7600k will remain the unquestionable cpu of choice for gamers.
There aren't even rumours yet of mobile Ryzen derivatives, so Intel will continue its monopoly in Laptops.
And it is unknown if AMD will be capable of producing enough of the eventual Ryzen APUs for Dell, Acer and so on to even consider AMD for office PCs and such.

The 6800k, 6850k and 6900k are the only Intel products likely to be in "trouble" and as the laughable marketshare of 6+ core cpus shows, even without competition they didn't sell in the first place, so Intel really doesn't lose much.

Not like that matters to me, because I want more cores anyway, I just don't want to pay £1000 for a 6900k, so unless Ryzen reviews reveal any major problems I'll jump on that R7 1800x.
R7 1800X, ASRock X370 Taichi, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 DDR4, ASUS Strix 1080TI OC, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 4TB WD Black, EVGA T2 1KW, Lian Li PC-O9WX, EK Supremacy Evo, EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Ducky Shine 6 (Brown Switches), Logitech G402, AOC U3477PQU (34" 21:9 ftw)
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2017, 22:51   #150
Vault-Tec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23RO_UK View Post
Secondly, what's the point in paying through the nose for kit you'll game on occasionally??

Vanity?

You only have to look at the Marketplace on occasions to see that vanity sure as f*ck doesn't pay the bills...
I suppose for a while it was vanity. However, I am a worrier and basically I was always worried that if I didn't continually upgrade my rigs I would get left behind. Or a part would break, be irreplaceable (like my MSI X79 board) and I would be screwed.

Probably the worst thing I have ever done was dump £3500 into a PC. I had it less than a year and ended up with about £1500 from the parts.

Still, I guess every lesson is a lesson learned and humans seldom repeat their mistakes.

I think it also hasn't helped that "the next wave" of PC games has been crap, barely any better looking than the last wave and all run like dog toffee. It's hardly motivation to spend £600+ on a GPU really.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 18th Feb 2017, 23:30   #151
Vault-Tec

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu...results_leak/1

Well to me that is a wrap. It is a damn fast CPU. That's benching as fast as my 8 core Ivy.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 19th Feb 2017, 02:27   #152
TheMadDutchDude
Flying Dutchman

It certainly looks that way, but you can cheat Cinebench.

I really want to believe it's legit, and 95% of me does. There's the other 5% to convince, though, as I know it can be cheated.
Old 19th Feb 2017, 05:04   #153
23RO_UK
Hasta Mañana

23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan23RO_UK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
It certainly looks that way, but you can cheat Cinebench.

I really want to believe it's legit, and 95% of me does. There's the other 5% to convince, though, as I know it can be cheated.
I don't think your in a minority there B, it will certainly shake a few pillars of the industry if it is...
23RO_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2017, 05:53   #154
LennyRhys
Fan Fan

Definitely looks promising, although let's not forget how important memory is in Cinebench and AMD aren't disclosing the specific memory settings used.

This is purely for reference, because it's already obvious by now that Ryzen is kick-ass - stock 5820K with 2400MHz memory & tight timings gets 1242cb. I was very surprised to see this as it's the same spec as my system except the memory timings. My system scored 1021cb at stock.

Old 19th Feb 2017, 10:53   #155
Yadda
Vegan Sandwich

Yadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23RO_UK View Post
*snip*

Vanity?

I couldn't agree more. For the past decade or so I've specced my PC around the tasks I want it to perform rather than what shineys my ego would like to own.

It's far kinder on the wallet and good for the zen, too.

i5 4690k @ 4.6GHz / ASRock Z97m OC Formula mATX / 2x8GB Crucial Tactical DDR3 @ 2200MHz C10 / EVGA GTX 780 @ 1200/6400MHz / BX100 250GB SSD / Seagate 2TB SSHD / Nepton 240m AIO / EVGA 600B PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / Win10 Home / 1080p monitor / Logitech MOMO wheel

Last edited by Yadda; 19th Feb 2017 at 11:28.
Yadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2017, 11:44   #156
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyanrollo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Agree with that alot, Took me 5 years to upgrade my last system ignoring the gpus. I would imagine my current setup will handle my gaming needs till it breaks, As all I play these days is Star Trek Online and League of Legends. Not the 2 most taxing games lol.

I would like to play around with a 10core cpu and 20 threads see what it could do when fully overclocked on custom loops. But its 7-8 times the cost of the last cpu I brought lol
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2017, 13:40   #157
Vault-Tec

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyRhys View Post
Definitely looks promising, although let's not forget how important memory is in Cinebench and AMD aren't disclosing the specific memory settings used.

This is purely for reference, because it's already obvious by now that Ryzen is kick-ass - stock 5820K with 2400MHz memory & tight timings gets 1242cb. I was very surprised to see this as it's the same spec as my system except the memory timings. My system scored 1021cb at stock.

Yeah see in Cinebench at 4.6ghz I can get into the 1200s.

Didn't know you could mess with Cinebench, I have always used it and trusted the results.. If this is right though it's spot on. It's about 10% faster than a stock 5820k which would basically put it pretty much dead on with Broadwell E.

And you can run it in a $69 motherboard... I think that is the major revelation with Ryzen tbh.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 19th Feb 2017, 13:50   #158
Harlequin
Banned

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
that reminds me - my best score with an FX 9590 was 797
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2017, 14:11   #159
Vault-Tec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
that reminds me - my best score with an FX 9590 was 797
Weird I got 803 with my 8320.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 19th Feb 2017, 17:16   #160
LennyRhys
Fan Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault-Tec View Post
Yeah see in Cinebench at 4.6ghz I can get into the 1200s.

Didn't know you could mess with Cinebench, I have always used it and trusted the results.. If this is right though it's spot on. It's about 10% faster than a stock 5820k which would basically put it pretty much dead on with Broadwell E.

And you can run it in a $69 motherboard... I think that is the major revelation with Ryzen tbh.
Yep - that's probably the biggest appeal with Ryzen... not so much the CPUs by themselves but the actual bundle prices.

Regarding Cinebench, it succumbs to system tweaks much like any other CPU benchmark, but in all honesty 12-12-12 on a 2400MHz DDR4 kit is quite unrealistic for most mainstream DDR4 modules (my kit is 16-16-16 at standard 1.2v), furthermore these latencies are going to make no difference in actual day-to-day usage.

My best Cinebench score at 4.7GHz, 2666MHz on the RAM is 1368cb, compared to 1333 at my current daily of 4.6, 2400MHz. Not a great jump for a lot of OC effort. Very keen to see how well Ryzen will overclock, because that will be a mega game-changer if it's good.