bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 20th Mar 2017, 22:36   #1
Pachalski
What's a Dremel?

Pachalski has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The wolds smallest full performance PC case!

As a 10-yearold I bult my first PC, a 16Mhz 386 with 2 MB of RAM, 20 MB 3.5” IDE HDD and booted DOS 3.1. Ever since I have been a serious PC enthusiast. In the beginning it was all about pushing the system to it’s limits by overclocking and homemade water cooling systems based on fountain pumps and garden hoses from the hardware store that dangled down the window from my childhood room. When I eventually moved from the comfort of my parents’ home I remember feeling “my home is where my PC is”. In fact, the first I unpacked was my green Cheftech full-tower monster, stared WinAmp and spent hours on IRC before I started thinking of the rest of the moving boxes.

After 10 years in the management consulting industry (and countless Lenovo Laptops) the urge of revisiting the good old days suddenly came back. I was surprised to see that the product development in the PC case field had practically been standing still since I last built a PC. My last chasse was comparable to what the market had to offer now, still made out of stamped and perforated sheet metal, the same panel gaps and the clanky fell held together with pop riverts – “How can so little have happened in this field when every other aspect of the PC has shifted lightyears?” was my reaction.

I had outgrown the PC chassis from the past, but was still in demand of the performance. I wanted a Small Form Factor PC Case that did not only fit all the latest technology but also looked good enough to deserve a place in front of the sofa next to our BangOlufsen speakers. This was 163 days ago, I decided to quit my day-job and focus all my energy on making such a PC reality. Today it is all starting to come together and I would like to present the results. All feedback possible is appreciated before we launch our KickStarter campaign.

The Ghost S1

The Spine

The Core

The full system
Pachalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 18:32   #2
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I like the aesthetic.

Is the "Spine" an aluminum extrusion as it has some rather difficult features to form using conventional sheet metal processes.

Industrial Designer working in the world of Aluminum manufacture, so send me a PM if you want help.

i7 930, GA-X58-USB3, 12GB Kingston, GTX980, 240GB Cruical SSD, 1Tb Seagate, WC
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 22:38   #3
Arboreal
I *am* a Dremel

Arboreal is a Super Spamming SaiyanArboreal is a Super Spamming SaiyanArboreal is a Super Spamming SaiyanArboreal is a Super Spamming SaiyanArboreal is a Super Spamming SaiyanArboreal is a Super Spamming SaiyanArboreal is a Super Spamming SaiyanArboreal is a Super Spamming SaiyanArboreal is a Super Spamming SaiyanArboreal is a Super Spamming SaiyanArboreal is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
I like the aesthetic.

Is the "Spine" an aluminum extrusion as it has some rather difficult features to form using conventional sheet metal processes.

Industrial Designer working in the world of Aluminum manufacture, so send me a PM if you want help.
Looks like it, I have been following the more detailed posts on smallformfactor.net about it.
Some really clever materials engineering has gone into it, I particularly like the stacking extension concept
Arboreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 00:28   #4
Speed
I'm all you need!

Speed is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpeed is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpeed is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpeed is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpeed is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpeed is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpeed is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpeed is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpeed is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpeed is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpeed is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Looks very nice but the more I read about it the more expensive it sounds. I do hope that they don't price themselves out of the market!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 06:01   #5
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachalski View Post
Ever since I have been a serious PC enthusiast.
...but my PC'S have always been in a dust free-environment and my PSU can exhaust through a solid plate...

Yeah, nice story, but to me it looks like a fingerplay in design by someone totally out of the business.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus VW246H 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 09:35   #6
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The bit-tech Crowdfunding Thread!

Seen an interesting crowdfunding campaign for an audience-appropriate thing - like a delidding tool, custom PC case, open-hardware laptop, 3D printer or the like? Running an interesting crowdfunding campaign? Here's the place to discuss it!

To keep the forum as uncluttered as possible, posts about crowdfunding campaigns created outside this thread will be moved into it as soon as a mod or admin notices - and if you see one that's been missed, hit the 'report' button to speed things along!
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sff