bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Tech Support

Old 23rd Mar 2017, 17:11   #1
Porkins' Wingman
Can't touch this

Porkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming Saiyan
How to stop Windows Explorer 'jumping' when selecting files/folders

I don't know what this Windows 7 feature is called, otherwise I guess I'd have more luck googling it, so here goes.

If I'm looking at a folder window, using 'list' view, then when the window is large I'll be looking at multiple columns of files/folders.

If I see the file/folder that I want, and it's not in the left-most column, when I click on it Windows automatically shuffles everything left so that I'm now viewing that file in the left-most column.

Drives me nuts.

Anyone know what this feature is called and how to stop it, please?
"Porkins' Wingman's post is just about the most thoughtful, inciteful post I have ever read on a public forum anywhere. It has made me think....which is no mean feat in itself." - Provoking thought since 8th March 2014
Porkins' Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2017, 22:20   #2
sparkyboy22
Web Tinkerer

sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This is why I always select details not list.

sparkyboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2017, 22:53   #3
doobleshaft
What's a Dremel?

doobleshaft has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've not heard of it or seen it as you describe and I use Windows 7 daily. I have a distinct dislike for Windows Explorer and tend to use Multi Commander at home in preference as it doesn't have any of the Windows Explorer weirdness.

However, I may have over complicated my thought process here. Have you also selected View, Options and Change folder and search options? If this is done after changing from detail to list view then click "Apply to all folders" in the view tab it is supposed to keep Windows Explorer with that view format.

But then Explorer is weird and no matter what I do it occasionally changes too. Not exactly as you describe but it does change so it may be one of those features that we cannot correct.
doobleshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2017, 08:24   #4
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Apparently it's linked to full row select, or at least if I've understood what it is that's driving you nuts it is.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2017, 14:20   #5
Porkins' Wingman
Can't touch this

Porkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Now I've studied it a bit more (for the purposes of this thread and finally trying to solve it) it is something that only happens when I click on a file/folder that's in the right-most column of a list, and anything in that column has a name that is long enough to extend beyond the edge of the current window.

So, for example, I might have a bunch of jpegs in a folder that I've opened, and nearly all of them are just called something short like P0001343, but then if among them there's a file with a longer name like "This is the one where Shirty looks really sexy in that leotard", if that happens to be in the right-most column when I click on it with either mouse button, Windows automatically shuffles the columns across so that the whole file name fits in the view, or butts up against the left-edge if it's still too big.
"Porkins' Wingman's post is just about the most thoughtful, inciteful post I have ever read on a public forum anywhere. It has made me think....which is no mean feat in itself." - Provoking thought since 8th March 2014
Porkins' Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2017, 21:38   #6
Nealieboyee
Packaging Master!

Nealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming Saiyan
That is normal, no? I have always had that happen.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 21:43   #7
Nealieboyee
Packaging Master!

Nealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming SaiyanNealieboyee is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Similar issue

See the best answer towards the bottom.