bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 17th Apr 2017, 11:03   #1
David13
Minimodder

David13 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Retail Edition

Hi,

Many moons ago I bought the Windows 7 Retail edition. If I am correct I can have it installed on one PC at a time but the license is valid forever.

A hypothetical question, as it is upgraded to Windows 10 if I were ever to build a new PC can I uninstall the OS and then install the original Windows 7 and purchase a upgrade to windows 10?
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2017, 11:15   #2
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
if you build a new pc - just install windows 10 on it and reactivate it. If you've done an upgrade you have a license attached to your account and you can change the hardware on that, Ive done it a few times.

i7 6700k - 8GB - GTX 1070
keyboards.
Margo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2017, 13:55   #3
Behemoth
Timelord in training

Behemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
As stated above.

Just install Windows 10 from scratch with the code you installed 7 with originally and it will activate with no head aches at all
|Dell Latitude E6320|Intel Core i5 2520m 2.5 GHz|8 Gig of RAM|
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2017, 22:59   #4
Dr. Coin
Supermodder

Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
As stated above.

Just install Windows 10 from scratch with the code you installed 7 with originally and it will activate with no head aches at all
I got to try that when I get home, I replace motherboard and lost my activation, did want to go back to 7 and didn't want to pay for 10. Been running with the activation notification in the bottom left corner for a couple months now.
Old 20th Apr 2017, 06:15   #5
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
this is the page you need:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...-10-activation

Quote:
Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change
If you made a significant hardware change to your device (such as replacing the motherboard) Windows 10 might no longer be activated. If you're running Windows 10 (version 1607 or later) and added your Microsoft account and linked it to the digital license on your device, you can use the Activation troubleshooter to reactivate Windows. For more info, see Using the Activation troubleshooter.

i7 6700k - 8GB - GTX 1070
keyboards.
Margo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 07:23   #6
Dr. Coin
Supermodder

Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The advise on the Microsoft's website didn't help, as I do not have a Microsoft account and thus have not linked the digital license to my account.

However, as Behemoth pointed out, using my retail Windows 7 license key allowed me to activate windows 10 on my new system. I assuming this only work since I perviously migrated the license from 7 to 10.