bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 10th May 2017, 13:46   #1
Hitman
I *am* a Dremel

Hitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Painting Radiators and EK Xres

I wanted to get some advice on painting the above -

Would I be good to sand them down with say 400 grit sand paper and then spray them using something like PlastiKote?

Should I prime them first?
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 17:48   #2
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
Depending on the factory finish, I tend to just give the rads a light sand at 320 then 500 grit (as in a really quick pass just to roughen up the paint/powder coat and remove any lumps) then prime. A couple coats of primer does the trick and doesn't take long, then just a few coats of a paint of your choice, that should work fine.

I use painters tape to mask off the fins, takes only a few minutes to do, even better if you have rads with a removable core.
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 10:06   #3
Hitman
I *am* a Dremel

Hitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming SaiyanHitman is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Ah doesn't sound too hard then. What about the EK Xres? Any suggestions for painting the acatel?
Old 12th May 2017, 10:14   #4
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Ah doesn't sound too hard then. What about the EK Xres? Any suggestions for painting the acatel?
Hmm, tbh my suggestion is don't. Acetal just has really poor painting qualities. If you scuff it up a bit with a medium grit paper and prime it you may be okay but don't quote me on that. I'd reccommend vinyl wrapping it with the seams on the backside but there are probably too many bevels to make that look good.
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 13:09   #5
Hitman
I *am* a Dremel

Thanks Maki, that's much appreciated. It sounds like I'm best off maybe rethinking my plans then and leaving that black or swapping over to a res which is already white
Old 12th May 2017, 14:13   #6
Vault-Tec
Green Plastic Watering Can

Vault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I wouldn't paint acetal either. It's very soft.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Vault-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 19:44   #7
Dr. Coin
Supermodder

Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As discussed, the res top and bottom are made from POM Acetal, which won't take paint. The reason is that the acetal has very high chemical resistance and low coefficient of friction. All good properties to have for water cooling equipment.
DuPont developed a process using chromic acid for surface etching, in perpetration for gluing (but will also work for painting). But this is not a process for a DIY project (unless you have access to a proper chemistry laboratory, even then not advisable). Since the the process is chemically altering the surface in order to create a bondable surface I am not sure how well sanding will work.

I made the mistake once when I got some parts for a project cut from Acetal, selected because it was available in opaque black. When I received them I was unable to solvent weld them together. I could use epoxy but the bond wasn't strong enough.

If the case is a show piece, once assembled won't be touched, you might give it a try just be aware it will be fragile. If it is for your use and you'll be in and out of the case then I would not bother.

Last edited by Dr. Coin; 12th May 2017 at 19:46. Reason: spelling
Dr. Coin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 23:46   #8
davido_labido
Staff
bit-tech Staff

davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I have painted an EK rez a few times, as long as you scuff it up and do it last (so it doesn't scratch) it work. It can be scratched off though.

It isn't 'oh meh gurd I sneezed on the rez and all the paint flew off it' fragile, but it isn't as strong as on other materials.
davido_labido is online now   Reply With Quote

View Mode