bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 11th May 2017, 09:41   #1
Kronos
Another grumpy old git.

Kronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming Saiyan
AIO Cooler for GTX 1080 FE

I am thinking of buying this, Evga, and have a couple of questions.
1), Will it be compatible with this card Gigabyte?
2), Am I likely to see real benefit, if I can indeed fit this, of lower temps?
Carbide 240/Asus Z170M plus/I5 6600K @ 4.6Ghz/Avexir Core Blue Series 16GB /AXP 200 Muscle /Gigabyte FE 1080/500Gb OCZ TR150 SSD/2 x 256Gb SSD/ 2TB HDD/ SST-ST60F-P PSU/Dell U3415/CM TK White (browns)/Logitech G400s/.
Silverstone GD05B/ MSI B751A-E33/G840/2x2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 Red LED/GTX 260/Kingston 60GB/500GB WD/Corsair CX500/Dell U2711/ E Element Chroma KB /Logitech M518.
Kronos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 10:03   #2
Wakka
Yo, eat this, ya?

Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.
Cooler says it's compatible with all reference cards, so no problems there.

Will you see lower temps? Yeah, almost certainly.

Will they be low enough to justify the cost of not just going for a Strix/Aurous/ACX 3.0/Gaming X? Don't know, because the card you linked to says it's no longer available

Unless it was a silly low price, I would put 125 extra on a Ti, rather than an AIO cooler!
Old 11th May 2017, 10:09   #3
Kronos
Another grumpy old git.

Kronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
Cooler says it's compatible with all reference cards, so no problems there.

Will you see lower temps? Yeah, almost certainly.

Will they be low enough to justify the cost of not just going for a Strix/Aurous/ACX 3.0/Gaming X? Don't know, because the card you linked to says it's no longer available

Unless it was a silly low price, I would put 125 extra on a Ti, rather than an AIO cooler!
I appreciate that the card is no longer available but it is the card I have, though I posed the question here responses were meagre to say the least but the consensus on another forum was that moving to a Ti from my current 1080 would not be money well spent. Hence this question on whether I would see any benefit of an AIO?
Carbide 240/Asus Z170M plus/I5 6600K @ 4.6Ghz/Avexir Core Blue Series 16GB /AXP 200 Muscle /Gigabyte FE 1080/500Gb OCZ TR150 SSD/2 x 256Gb SSD/ 2TB HDD/ SST-ST60F-P PSU/Dell U3415/CM TK White (browns)/Logitech G400s/.
Silverstone GD05B/ MSI B751A-E33/G840/2x2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 Red LED/GTX 260/Kingston 60GB/500GB WD/Corsair CX500/Dell U2711/ E Element Chroma KB /Logitech M518.
Old 11th May 2017, 11:37   #4
Wakka
Yo, eat this, ya?

Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.Wakka is definitely a rep cheat.
Oh I see, sorry - I thought you were buying them separately (should have looked at your sig!)

If it was me, I would sell the FE card and buy one of the models mentioned above and get the same benefits (lower noise and temps, better boosting potential) while maintaining warranty. Probably work out cheaper too, depending on what deals you can hunt down!

But that's me
Old 11th May 2017, 12:08   #5
Vault-Tec
Green Plastic Watering Can

Vault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Lower temps less noise higher clocks.

Got one on my Titan XM. Love it

MUWC Winner ROTT
Vault-Tec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 13:50   #6
GeorgeK
Oooh purple

GeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
You won't always get higher overclocks but you will definitely see a drop in temperatures and noise
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 13:52   #7
Kronos
Another grumpy old git.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
You won't always get higher overclocks but you will definitely see a drop in temperatures and noise
As I have a M-Atx build heat can be an issue which is why I am thinking of getting this, provided of course it is definitely compatible?
Old 11th May 2017, 14:01   #8
Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
As I have a M-Atx build heat can be an issue which is why I am thinking of getting this, provided of course it is definitely compatible?
Can you mount a 120 rad?

The EVGA shroud is identical to the Nvidia one in size. So the card will be the same size. One caveat with the Hybrid is that the hoses are ridiculously long. However, that part may work in your favour.

Edit. Post a pic of your rig Glenn. Then the guys can advise the best place to put the rad etc.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 11th May 2017, 14:17   #9
GeorgeK
Oooh purple

GeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If it's the Air 240 that you're looking to mount it in then you've got plenty of choices of where to put the radiator - in the front would probably be best in my opinion. The hoses that come out of the graphics card will get very close to the window but it is do-able:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...-240-case.html

Scroll down to see pictures
Old 11th May 2017, 14:48   #10
Kronos
Another grumpy old git.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault-Tec View Post
Can you mount a 120 rad?

The EVGA shroud is identical to the Nvidia one in size. So the card will be the same size. One caveat with the Hybrid is that the hoses are ridiculously long. However, that part may work in your favour.

Edit. Post a pic of your rig Glenn. Then the guys can advise the best place to put the rad etc.

Quote:
If it's the Air 240 that you're looking to mount it in then you've got plenty of choices of where to put the radiator - in the front would probably be best in my opinion. The hoses that come out of the graphics card will get very close to the window but it is do-able:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...-240-case.html

Scroll down to see pictures
I think front of case is my only option.
Old 11th May 2017, 14:50   #11
Vault-Tec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
I think front of case is my only option.
It's looking that way yeah.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 11th May 2017, 15:19   #12
GeorgeK
Oooh purple

I've not looked closely at the pictures but would it not reach the top of the case? What CPU cooler do you have?

Edit: I've just seen your picture - it might reach round to the top fan mount which is closest to the front of the case. Front would probably be best though.
Old 12th May 2017, 10:09   #13
Kronos
Another grumpy old git.

Will just pop over to Evga to get confirmation that my GPU is compatible. Thanks all.
Old 12th May 2017, 10:29   #14
GeorgeK
Oooh purple

It's compatible with this Founders Edition one from EVGA

So yours should be compatible too but always worth a check

Edit: I love the hybrid coolers - you should really see temps drop from ~80C to ~60C
Old 12th May 2017, 10:31   #15
Kronos
Another grumpy old git.

Morning George, I am pretty much sure it is compatible but the older I get the more reassurance I need so hopefully the good folk at Evga can do that.
Old 12th May 2017, 10:39   #16
GeorgeK
Oooh purple

Definitely worth a check especially considering the cost - didn't realise how much the hybrid coolers were to buy separate from the cards!
Old 12th May 2017, 11:34   #17
Vault-Tec

Quote:
Definitely worth a check especially considering the cost - didn't realise how much the hybrid coolers were to buy separate from the cards!
Yup bought mine for 40 a week after I got the card

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 12th May 2017, 11:44   #18
GeorgeK
Oooh purple

That was a good buy! Shows why hybrid cards carry a price premium both new and second hand I guess.
Old 12th May 2017, 15:05   #19
Vault-Tec

Mine is actually for a 980. Well, the shroud is. But hey, it fits, and a little modding didn't take long.

Sadly it doesn't fit the 10 series at all, but I doubt I will ever remove it any way. Got the back plate from EVGA EU for $1. Sadly they then charged me 16 to ship it but hey, looks nice

MUWC Winner ROTT
Old 12th May 2017, 17:43   #20
Kronos
Another grumpy old git.

It has been confirmed bu a couple on the Evga forums so looks like I will buy.
One question though should the fan suck air from the front of the case or blow air out?