1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU for R7 1700

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 17 May 2017.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

As per my other thread I am planning a Ryzen build as a server / workstation - no gaming - and am now considering PSU requirements. It will more than likely be a R7 1700 or maybe a R5 1600 with a modest but not max overclock.

I have a few 'spare' (not really spare but accessible with some swapping around) the most easily accessible of which is a 430W bequiet job from a few years ago. Will that suffice?

If not then I have a Corsair 550W which is slightly less accessible or an Antec 650W which is less accessible again.

Thoughts?

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

430 would be fine if you were keeping it stock. Once you start overclocking though that changes fast. Could swear I saw some one recently use a 450w PSU and had a GPU with it too?

I would say the safe bet is the 550 though.

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

430W will be more than fine, providing the usual caveats of the PSU in question being of a reliable brand and un-damaged etc.

The days of anyone needing 1kw+ PSU's are well and truly done imo, even a couple of Titan X's can be run on a decent 850w nowadays. I used a Corsair HX450 with my 2500K and GTX 670 for months and it never skipped a beat.

Anandtech measured just 335w pulled from the wall with a GTX 1080 and overclocked 4960X!

4. Vault-Tec

Yeah I could swear I saw some one build a Ryzen rig with a 1700 and a half decent GPU recently on a 450 watter. A RX 580 perhaps?

5. GeorgeK

It's a BeQuiet BN180 PurePower L8 so not exactly top of the range but good enough for what it's currently being used for - think it'll be ok?

6. Vault-Tec

Is it capable of 430w continuous? if so then it will be fine. Maybe dig a review up or something.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Should be fine.

Only potential concern I see would be noise
    It is only rated for 40c, combine that with a relatively high load and there is a risk that depending on how well they thought out the cooling you might be able hear the psu fan.

8. GeorgeK

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/bequiet-pure-power-l8-430w-cm-psu-review/6/

Looks like it should ok - they tested it up to over 500W before it turned off and use ambient temperatures of 35ºC. I hadn't realised about the 40ºC rated temp and that is lower than others (my EVGA G2 is 50ºC) but in their tests it seemed to cope ok and kept the noise levels down too.

9. Vault-Tec

So it shut down at 520odd watts. That's actually quite refreshing, they usually go bang and take everything with them :D

I really wouldn't give it too much thought. The system is practically headless right? no gaming or anything?

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

More that okay in my opinion.
    BeQuiet make nice stuff and and the absolute peak power usage of the components is likely to be a fair bit under the rated power over the PSU, let alone typical usage.
    People tend to have a mindset of overkill regarding PSUs when I really don't think it is usually necessary.

Having something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-429-856UK-Power-Meter/dp/B003ELLGDC/
    ...to see how much a system is actually drawing from the wall while stress testing (and idle/gaming etc) is handy. I think a lot of people would be surprised how little power a modern system is using most of the time.

Last edited: 18 May 2017
  11. GeorgeK

I have something very similar to that from Maplin somewhere around here. I pulled the trigger earlier today and it will all be here tomorrow so I will report back once built!