bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 19th May 2017, 15:31   #21
edzieba
Virtual Realist

edzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
How can you blame VM for a issue that is out of there hands and is caused by the hardware made by Intel?
I can blame them for:

1) Refusing to ship out Superhub2 MODEMs (that also have sufficient channels for the rated speed) that do not have the issue.

2) The hilariously slow rollout of fixes.

3) The firmware interface being so utterly shite in the first place whether you use it in MODEM mode or not.

4) Refusal to allow you to use your own MODEM.
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 16:04   #22
jinq-sea
The Double Insulates

jinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyan
FWIW, I had NTL and then Virgin Media when I lived in Cardiff. It was utter horse dung, and I got rid of it as soon as I could get a decent DSL connection. I wouldn't go near it even if it were free.

small(ish): i7-5960X / X99E-ITX/AC - Bitspower Block / 32Gb Ballistix / Titan X (P) / 512Gb Samsung 950 Pro NVMe / 250D
tiny: i7-4790K / Max VII Impact - EK Monoblock / 16Gb Ballistix / EVGA Titan X (M) HC / 256Gb SM951 NVMe / nCase M1
htpc/vr: i7-6700K / Z170i / 16Gb Ballistix / EVGA 1080 Founders Edition / 128Gb SM951 NVMe & Sandisk 960Gb SSD / RVZ01
jinq-sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 16:36   #23
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
I can blame them for:

1) Refusing to ship out Superhub2 MODEMs (that also have sufficient channels for the rated speed) that do not have the issue.

2) The hilariously slow rollout of fixes.

3) The firmware interface being so utterly shite in the first place whether you use it in MODEM mode or not.

4) Refusal to allow you to use your own MODEM.
1: The channels are not related to the modem fully, from my knowledge all superhub 2's are capable of having the same amount of channels for the upstream and downstream, and then it's down to the head end tech as to how many channels you can connect to, and it's dependent also on the utilisation in the area at the time.

2: Fixes are not related to always to stuff that they have control over, if it's a hardware issue then they have to wait for the manufacturer to be able to replicate the issue and find a fix for it, and then actually develop the fix and issue it to the people who use it and then they have to test it.

3: The software is crap I will give you that.

4: Why should they allow you to use a modem that won't be fully compatible with the network and why should they allow 3rd party companies have access to the security to connect to the network.
The modem used now is the same that is used by Liberty Global all around Europe iirc or they are changing to the one used by VM.
I would rather have the modem provided for me, than have to go out and spend 150 or more on a modem that is compatible, and then if a speed is offered that is higher than what my modem can do then have to go and buy another, compared to just having one sent out.
Old 19th May 2017, 16:44   #24
Anfield
Mod Master

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
The upload speeds are low because of the platform used currently and the cost of bandwidth on connections, on the links to other countries and around this country when connecting to another companies network.
Other countries in western Europe with a similar telecoms history (one ancient formerly government run phone network and one ancient cable tv network) manage to offer far higher speeds despite having started out with the same stone age tech.

In some places like Germany or Switzerland they are squeezing every last bit out of the old copper phone networks and offer 2 - 5 times higher speed.

In other places like for example France they have pretty much given up on the old networks and are instead pushing FTTH hard.

There is really no excuse for countries like the UK or Austria to not invest.
R7 1800X, ASRock X370 Taichi, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 DDR4, ASUS Strix 1080TI OC, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 4TB WD Black, EVGA T2 1KW, Lian Li PC-O9WX, EK Supremacy Evo, EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Ducky Shine 6 (Brown Switches), Logitech G402, AOC U3477PQU (34" 21:9 ftw)
Anfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 16:57   #25
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Like most companies VM are great provided you never have to speak to them for any reason.

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 18:30   #26
edzieba
Virtual Realist

edzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
1: The channels are not related to the modem fully, from my knowledge all superhub 2's are capable of having the same amount of channels for the upstream and downstream, and then it's down to the head end tech as to how many channels you can connect to, and it's dependent also on the utilisation in the area at the time.
A handful of people who had Superhub 2s still around when they upgraded managed to swap the hub back and reprovision successfully, so there is technically nothing stopping VM from redeploying Superhub 2s they received as returns from the Superhub 3 deployment.
Quote:
2: Fixes are not related to always to stuff that they have control over, if it's a hardware issue then they have to wait for the manufacturer to be able to replicate the issue and find a fix for it, and then actually develop the fix and issue it to the people who use it and then they have to test it.
I'm talking about the delay entirely in VM's hands. The previous delay, for example, had a bit over a year delay between the test version of the firmware being deployed and the final version (which turned out to be the same) rolling out across the network.
Quote:
4: Why should they allow you to use a modem that won't be fully compatible with the network and why should they allow 3rd party companies have access to the security to connect to the network.
Because it is standard elsewhere on DOCSIS deployments to allow (an in some areas enforce, e.g. US deployments) end-user MODEM purchases. That's the entire point of using DOCSIS as a standard!
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode