bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 6th Mar 2005, 21:54   #1
Hex
Paul?!

Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.
Must-Have Software for your Mac

OK, we have a list of software in the Windows/*nix forums, so I figured a Mac one would be good.

To start it off:

VLC Media Player - The best media player around (not just for Macs) - FREE;
Konfabulator - Useful and some not so useful little widgets for your desktop (also for Windows) - Shareware;
Chicken of the VNC - VNC software - FREE;
CyberDuck - SFTP & FTP Client - FREE;
Stellarium - Astronomy software, not vital, but really cool (not just for Macs) - FREE;
iStumbler - NetStumbler, but for your Mac - FREE;
Salling Clicker - Turns your mobile phone into a remote control for you Mac - Shareware.

Resident Destiny fangirl. | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Raptr | xbl | Steam | Destiny Profile

Last edited by Hex; 7th Mar 2005 at 00:24.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Mar 2005, 22:35   #2
TekMonkey
I enjoy cheese.

TekMonkey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My buddy has a piece of software called Delicious Library ($40) on his Powerbook. It's extremely cool. He can use his iSight camera to scan barcodes and create a catalog DVD, albums, games, and other stuff. The interface is really slick too.
Old 6th Mar 2005, 22:55   #3
planki

planki has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i remember reading about those guys on wired a while back, i think they spent all of their time coding that in a coffee house somewhere.
Old 6th Mar 2005, 23:10   #4
mookboy
BRAAAAAAP

mookboy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yep I'd second Delicious Library. Very good piece of software and worth the fee.

Transmit - best FTP client on the Mac. Slick and very easy to use.
Bytecontroller - an iTunes controller that can sit just next to the clock and volume indicator. Free!
Adium - neat instant chat client for all the big providers. Like Trillian but seems a lot more reliable.
OnyX - A useful utility for getting a hold of some of the hidden aspects of OS X. Useful for system tweaking.
Safari Sorter - for no apparent reason, Safari doesn't sort it's bookmarks into alphabetical order. This does it for you.
mookboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Mar 2005, 23:29   #5
Shaolyen
Supermodder

Shaolyen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Doesn't Konfabulator remind anyone of the Dashboard widgets Apple are introducing in their next release of Mac Os X? (Tiger)

mookboy - Do you know if Delicious Library works with any webcam, or does it have to be an iSight?
Shaolyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2005, 12:12   #6
ginguskahn
Supermodder

ginguskahn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Posted this in wrong thread, but here are my faves

evocam: excellent bit of webcam software - http://www.evological.com/evocam.html

Delicious Library: Catalogue your films, music, games and book collection. You can even scan barcodes using your iSight, and then the software goes off and dowloads all the details from Amazon - http://www.delicious-monster.com/

UnrarX: My chosen .rar extractor, simple and effective - http://unrarx.sourceforge.net/

Azureus: Java bitorrent client, loads of detail, works nice - http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Amsn: Better than Microsofts own on the mac in my opinion - http://amsn.sourceforge.net/

Simon Extreme: A simple, annoying game to play when your bored - http://www.lumacode.com/simon/
Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, MS Bluetooth Mouse
19" Samsung 19T TFT

Last edited by ginguskahn; 7th Mar 2005 at 12:33.
ginguskahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2005, 16:25   #7
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I don't have a mac, but got to agree VLC media player is a must, it will play anything, god I'm sure it would play an excel file if you asked it.
Old 8th Mar 2005, 10:44   #8
Kevo
426F6C6C6F636B7300

Kevo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Admitmac! (Not cheap!)

Not for the main function though which is to allow your Mac easy access to your active directory domain but to fix Apples retarded decision to not enable the wireless lan until after you log in*

I'm pretty certain that you would probably be able to fix it with some bsd command line jiggery pokery, but doesn’t that defeat the purpose of OSX in the first place

* Granted this isn't going to affect a lot of people, but it effected me and it royally pissed me off.

Last edited by Kevo; 8th Mar 2005 at 13:22.
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2005, 12:03   #9
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.
http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

Both have good port collections, I use darwinports more than fink but really they are much the same.
Old 8th Mar 2005, 14:19   #10
-=ice=-
Multimodder

-=ice=- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
colloquy - IRC client, easy to use rather than super powerful

bit torrent client - officeial bit torrent client (i think), a good no fuss client

mac janitor - system maintenance program

^all free btw
-=ice=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Mar 2005, 20:05   #11
azathoth
What's a Dremel?

azathoth has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
for those who don't like playing in the terminal but fancy a go with fink then finkcommander is a great little tool

Acid Search tweeks the google search box on safari

PDF Plugin for Safari, very good and efficent display program

az
Old 10th Mar 2005, 00:45   #12
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.
KisMAC - The best wireless sniffing applications I have found.
Old 10th Mar 2005, 13:05   #13
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Mac <-> PDA / Phone syncronisation:

Missing Sync
Pocket Mac
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Mar 2005, 16:53   #14
rasmithuk
What's a Dremel?

rasmithuk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Vorbis support in Mac OS X

Two interesting things, first here's a link to a Quicktime component that allows you to play ogg files in iTunes and any other Quicktime based app under Mac OS (and windows)
http://qtcomponents.sourceforge.net/

And secondly, if you look inside the Package Contents of iTunes you'll find an icon for Ogg files, so maybe Ogg support will appear later.
rasmithuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Mar 2005, 17:46   #15
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmithuk
Two interesting things, first here's a link to a Quicktime component that allows you to play ogg files in iTunes and any other Quicktime based app under Mac OS (and windows)
http://qtcomponents.sourceforge.net/

And secondly, if you look inside the Package Contents of iTunes you'll find an icon for Ogg files, so maybe Ogg support will appear later.
Ooo - thanks for that.

And I see that you're a newcomer - welcome to bit!
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2005, 12:14   #16
Lovah
Apple and Canon fanboy

Lovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for president
Hmmm

Camino : Mozilla browser
Firefox : Browser
Thunderbird : Emailclient

Konfabulator : Desktop enhancement "widgets" as they call them

Stuffit : all your compressing needs
VIM : Free advanced text edit
GIMP : Free photoshop replacement
MPLAYER OS X 2 : Free Best videoplayer
VLC : Free very good videoplayer

Cocktail : Mac Maintenance, expensive but I hope its worth it.

L
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2ghz | iMac 27" i7 | iPad 2 16GB WIFI
Lovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2005, 00:33   #17
satcure
What's a Dremel?

satcure has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like TypeIt4Me by Riccardo Ettore. I use it here. It can automatically correct typos (you have to program it yourself to do that). But basically, you use it as a sort of notepad where you store words and phrases. Each one can be called up by typing a short "word". For example if I type "adl" without the quotation marks it changes instantly to today's date: March 20, 2005.

If I type "myad" without quotation marks, it erases those four letters and types my office address. Likewise "homead" gets my home address.

http://www.typeit4me.com/

Other useful utilities:

CDFinder catalogs all my CDs and DVDs (I have hundreds).

Default Folder does various things but all I use it for is the fact that in any Open or Save dialog window, it selects the folder that my mouse is hovering over. A great time-saver.

PrintToPDF by James Walker for OS9
It works in "Classic" just like a printer driver. Just select it in the "Chooser" and you can save files from "Classic" Apps as PDFs, just as you can in OSX.
But it's more flexible than the OSX Print --> Save as PDF. You can choose to scale down images to as low as 72dpi for smaller file sizes.

See my full reviews at http://www.satcure.com/mac/macrevs.htm
satcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2005, 11:42   #18
ginguskahn
Supermodder

ginguskahn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
http://www.omnigroup.com/

OmniGiraffe - Kinda like MS Visio but for Mac, so it looks nicer, and has lots of nice mac icons Good for makeing network diagrams, flow charts and all sorts.

They also do a few other programs, OmniDictionary connects to online dictionary websites and basically becomes multple dictionarys on your Mac, quite handy. Check out the site for there other proggys!

Like to add http://homepage.mac.com/major4/ as a nice video conversion tool, converts just about anything to anything else
Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, MS Bluetooth Mouse
19" Samsung 19T TFT

Last edited by ginguskahn; 27th Mar 2005 at 22:21.
ginguskahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2005, 15:25   #19
RTT
#parp

RTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolyen
Doesn't Konfabulator remind anyone of the Dashboard widgets Apple are introducing in their next release of Mac Os X? (Tiger)
Yep, thats why im waiting for Tiger rather than installing Konfabwhatever
Old 3rd Apr 2005, 19:29   #20
RTT
#parp

RTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming Saiyan
SubEthaEdit, a free for non-commerical use text editor for just about every scripting/programming language out there - http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/

Tags
apple