bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 30th Jan 2008, 09:30   #61
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.
TextMate is the best text editor for programming bar none.
Old 30th Jan 2008, 19:15   #62
RangerX
What's a Dremel?

RangerX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I didn't see anyone mention Parallels or VMWare Fusion. They are both OS virtualization packages. They allow you to seamlessly run Windows only apps inside your OSX environment.

I use my MBP in a business environment and these packages remove the last barrier I encountered.

RangerX
I just broke my bit-tech cherry.
RangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2008, 20:16   #63
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
TextMate is the best text editor for programming bar none.
I own both. For straight-up programming TextMate is certainly better. But when you're looking to integrate that programming with your website, Coda's IDE is really unmatched by TextMate's previewing features. The built-in documentation and code completion really are leaps and bounds above what TM offers. If Coda integrates TextMate's macro functions, I'll be in coder heaven (though they could handle syntax highlighting when you've got inline php a bit better too).
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 05:06   #64
THEkorean

THEkorean has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I third Quicksliver, I have it bound to my f8 key on my Santa Rosa Macbook and I cant live without it, save so much time, I seldom even use my dock anymore.

You should also try the Webkit version of Safari, lightning fast
Resize em All is a quick batch photo resizer, very minimalist (which is a good thing)
smcFanControl is usefull to manually changing fan speed and viewing temps (if you're on a macbook)
Aurora , turns your mac into an awesome alarm clock, can auto wake from sleep, plays off your itunes play list, and it has a "go to sleep function" where you can have your computer shut off automatically after a certain amount of time or a specified number of songs plays.
Petrastechshop.com
Swift Tech - swiftnets.com
THEkorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 18:59   #65
OneSeventeen
Oooh Shiny!

OneSeventeen has yet to learn the way of the DremelOneSeventeen has yet to learn the way of the DremelOneSeventeen has yet to learn the way of the DremelOneSeventeen has yet to learn the way of the DremelOneSeventeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've been really happy with Colloquy for IRC and NetNewsWire for RSS feeds.

All joking aside, I also love Vista Ultimate on my MacBook. The hardware is lightweight, and the drivers that come with boot camp are great!

Best of both worlds without having to pay for virtualization and split resources.

Christian Technology Podcast - Geekons.com
OneSeventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 18:02   #66
thebestnews
Minimodder

thebestnews has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hi, really good thread guys, thanks. As I have just got a mac this is invaluable!!!! I like a program called MacFreePops which allows you to download hotmail emails into an email client like Mac Mail, Entourage or Thunderbird. Especially usefull if your main ebay account is linked to your hotmail account.

Last edited by thebestnews; 2nd Jun 2008 at 18:03. Reason: Spelling
thebestnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2008, 04:16   #67
Sleepy_Sentry
What's a Dremel?

Sleepy_Sentry has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
One little program I like for the Mac is DNS Flusher. As the name implies, it flushes your system's DNS when you launch the program.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/34075

For tracking system information like CPU and memory usage, temperatures, fan speeds, networking, and more, there's a neat little widget out there called iStat Pro:
http://www.islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=7
Sleepy_Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2008, 06:48   #68
zeroinfinity
hmmm.

zeroinfinity has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm gonna say Appdelete. It's like App Zapper, but it's free. Also, here's a list of of other free mac apps: recommended mac apps. They're free, plus there's little descriptions in there. Cyberduck is one, and recommended for site builders, etc.

Last edited by zeroinfinity; 30th Jul 2008 at 02:43.
zeroinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2008, 13:10   #69
kesa20
spaceman

kesa20 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Transmit is a good ftp software, have good experiences with it.
kesa20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2008, 10:45   #70
tominated
Supermodder

tominated has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
speeddownloader FTW, plus quicksilver, coda, textmate, rapidweaver, mailplane and crossover games
tominated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2008, 14:52   #71
Clipperz
What's a Dremel?

Clipperz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Love using:

Transit: FTP

Toast Titanium: DVD/CD Burning

XTorrent: P2P

OSX: Oh yeah, I actually enjoy using this OS
Clipperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2008, 11:07   #72
Bbq.of.DooM
Custom User Title

Bbq.of.DooM has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
one thing stands out, over everything else:

vmware fusion.
Old 12th Feb 2009, 14:44   #73
Wopsh
Don't own a Dremel :(

Wopsh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Perian multi-codec is good to have along with Flip4Mac. With Perian Quicktime can open almost any video. Its the best way to view .flv audio/video and often gives better looking subtitles than VLC.
Wopsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2009, 10:14   #74
ChriX
^

ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks to this thread I ended up buying Delicious Library, it's great! Had to buy it in order to be able to go round scanning everything I owned.

I like MultiClutch too, lets you setup 3 finger gestures for all applications.
ChriX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2009, 11:54   #75
CraigWatson
Level Chuck Norris

CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I usually install the following:

Quicksilver - awesome, awesome app, saves me rooting through Applications when I want to run anything, can also search for files too
VirtualBox - Better than VMware Fusion, more user-friendly, and there's a FOSS version, and it supports OpenGL 3D acceleration on all guest OSes
VLC
Firefox
Thunderbird
Flip4Mac
Adium
aMSN
TextWrangler
Azureus/Vuze
Chicken of the VNC
OpenOffice
Last.fm iTunes Plugin
Flash for Firefox/Safari
iStat Toolbar Menus
Folding@Home
Growl
MacFUSE & NTFS3G

And all of the above are free!

Last edited by CraigWatson; 10th Apr 2009 at 12:00. Reason: Moar!
CraigWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 20:30   #76
Digitalize-
Hypermodder

Digitalize- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Flip4Mac
Geektool
SMCFanControl
rEFIt
Transmission
Spotify

My Bare Essentials.
Old 5th Jun 2009, 15:31   #77
Abhorsen
Hypermodder

Abhorsen has yet to learn the way of the DremelAbhorsen has yet to learn the way of the DremelAbhorsen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex View Post
OK, we have a list of software in the Windows/*nix forums, so I figured a Mac one would be good.
Could someone point me in the direction of this thread?
Old 7th Jun 2009, 22:41   #78
ChriX
^

ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.ChriX is definitely a rep cheat.
For an Office like product, I'm liking Lotus Symphony much more than Open Office.
ChriX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 20:40   #79
jamesthebard
Too Much Time On My Hands

jamesthebard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A Solid 8 Apps

Easy:
  1. VLC: The best video player on Mac.
  2. Transmission: You like bitTorrent? This is the better of two good options. uTorrent, IMHO, still needs a few tweaks before it displaces Transmission.
  3. Path Finder: OS X is a good, solid, UNIX-type operating system. Finder, however, makes me want to claw out the eyes of the UI developers with rusty sporks. Path Finder replaces Finder with something that you can actually navigate around the operating system with.
  4. Controllermate: Like Mac's, but hate their keyboards and associated peripherals? You can map any button attached to your Mac to anything you can think of. Also, can fix certain mouse movement issues (acceleration/speed).
  5. Handbrake: A great tool at quickly converting DVD's to H.264/XviD.
  6. Carbon Copy Cloner: Title says it all. Not really useful for everyone, but considering my friends and their unique ability at computer devastation...
  7. Cyberduck: Quick, easy-to-use FTP program. Been using it for transferring files to my website for quite awhile.
  8. Max: This should be higher on the list, but I'm lazy. The best music ripper for OS X.
3 | ASUS P7F-E | Intel Xeon X3430 | 4x Samsung 1.5TB (ZFS/RAIDZ @ ~4.5TB) | 4 GB RAM | Nexenta Core 3.0RC1
jamesthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2009, 16:02   #80
barndoor101
Bring back the demote thread!

barndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysis
Only 2 things you need for a mac:

Boot Camp

Windows 7

barndoor101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple