1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice More Memory or Crossfire

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaile, 21 Nov 2008.

1. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

Ok, so I'm getting ready to build a supreme rig based on a new i7. This is what I've already decided on:

i7 920
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    6 GB Corsair 1600 DDR3
    2 150 GB VelociRaptor HDs in Raid 0
    Zalman ZM-1000HP PSU
    LG Blu-ray Burner/Player
    Windows Vista 64 bit
    Noctua NH-U12p SE (If I can ever find it in stock)
    Sapphire 4870 X2

This list might look familiar as BT just recently included most of this hardware in the "what to buy" article recently, all of which was found in the "you have too much damn money and don't know what to do with it" section.

So here is the question, if I were to add anything else at the onset, it would be either 6 more GB of RAM or another 4870 X2. Does anyone have an idea which one would be more beneficial when games are concerned? I will be overclocking the CPU as far as it'l go safely, which based on the experience here, should hopefully be in the upper 3's if not 4 flat. I also still have not decided on a monitor, so if anyone has suggestions there, I would listen to those as well. I am thinking about getting a basic 18-20" for everyday "work" and then possibly have a 32-42" LCD, 1080p TV to plug into an HDMI for gaming.

2. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

I would consider a third (non raid) disk as a operating system / critical data drive and use the raid 0 array for applications and games.

Having the os and critical data on a raid 0 array is a big risk if you have a disk or controller problem as it can mean that you lose the lot.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2008
  3. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

That thought has crossed my mind, however I already have a 500 GB external HD that is integrated into my network which I will plan on using. Plus, with the blu-ray/dvd-dl burner, I've got excessive amounts of back-up media available. Nevertheless, that is an option that I hadn't given all that much thought, but still wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks for the input!

4. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

another 4870x2 sounds nice so does more ram but dont think you need them, so its a case of want more than need, i suppose thinking how fast fraphics cards get outdated to newer models then a ram upgrade makes more sense

5. 5hadow

5hadow What's a Dremel?

I think this system might already be overkill. You can easily upgrade later, when the need arises (and the prices come down).

Save that money and spend it on buying games or xmas presents for your loved ones. If you still have some left after all this, send some my way. :p

6. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Agreed. More ram won't make a load of difference and not really sure if you're going to have a load of spare CPU horsepower to feed another X2.
    Can always add other stuff later if you find you're lackig in any area.

Wonder whether instead of the raptors you'd be better with a single (or 2 if you really insist) SSD? Low seek and read speeds are pretty decent on em now. Should help the system nip along pretty well.

7. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

only reason for not going with one SSD and then a single 300gb standard hd for media was the choppy complaints I've heard. HDs also seemed like a place where I could downgrade a little to save costs and not lose a lot of performance. I know this be will get cheaper and better hardware will come out, but that's just the merry go round they we choose to play on.

8. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

After much consideration about the advice given, I believe I may look into a third HD (500GB or so) to use as an internal back-up drive. Will have to do a little studying on how to set up the combination of the 3 as I have never done a RAID system, but am going to have fun doing it. I am actually even looking at the possibility of downgrading from the 4870 X2. My gaming screen resolution is most likely going to either be 50" @ 720p or 40" @ 1080p, so I might be able to get away with something else that will perform great at those resolutions with everything max'd out. Thanks again for the advice everyone. Once I get going I might even do a build log, although since I don't have plans to do major case modding it may be pretty straight forward and boring... But it sure will fly!!

9. ricickle

ricickle Reamer

I read a review on the net that showed 6GB of triple channel ram wasent any better than having 3GB of tiple channel. just crossfire 2 4870x2 to be bad ass

10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

lol, save cost on the HDD's but then add another 3gb ram or 4870X2.... heh

11. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

I believe you took that a bit out of context Highland3r. I am talking about the initial purchase. With those two harddrives, I am going to get great performance in Raid 0. Also, in the future if I do upgrade to a SSD, I can still run the two raptors in an array to maintain use with them. Should I go ahead and add either the 6, not 3, GB of RAM, I am at the max for the RIIE board, so no need/room to upgrade. Same with the 4870 X2, which even if new GPUs come out that are better, two for thoes in crossfire will cook for quite some time, especially as drivers get upgraded. Laugh at me if you must, but there is always a method to my madness... Whether it's right or wrong...

12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

two possible upgrades:

1: for insane resolution gaming, definately get a second X2. Normally putting that much GPU horsepower in a rig means it'll be CPU limited, but not with the i7. It's a perfect match, that will get you very real, very substantial FPS advantages.

2: go for an Intel X25 SSD + a F1 1TB for storage. Those choppy complaints are true, but Intel doesn't use the JMicron controller that causes it. Anandtech has an insanely detailed article about it if you really wanna read into it.
    This upgrade will make the PC as a whole feel a lot more snappy and fast. I don't think you'll be really noticing the extra FPS you get from a second X2, but you WILL notice the speedy handling of your PC with an SSD, and it will add to the feeling that you really bought yourself something special :)