1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How do you Stream Videos on your network?

Discussion in 'Software' started by nimbu, 20 Aug 2012.

1. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Just looking for some opinions on how people stream media around their homes.

I started a good while back with a QNAP-209 II Pro, with the built in Twonkey server. I found it served my needs pretty well when working with divx/xvid to my PS3. However when I started to move to mkv's I ran into issues.

I played a little with PS3media server, which again worked very well, but would be working from my main rig rather then the qnap.

I got hold of a HP Media Vault, EX495, which I upgraded the ram and the CPU. Again using built in twonkey, which again would give me hasstle around mkv transcoding. So I installed PS3MS onto it and everything worked great.

I then aquired a Panasonic BD-75 for the bedroom, which I struggled shedloads with it to get a config file that worked well in PS3MS so I gave up.

Lately I have been using Serviio for my mkv needs in the bedroom which works. Serviio does not play nice with my PS3 though...

So right now my EX495 has Twonkey, Serviio and PS3MS. And while it all seems to work it seems to me that having three different streaming servers to facilitate 2 devices is a little excessive... (Also been eyeing up plex, the PC client sure does look sexy!)

So how do you guys stream, anyone else have a BD-75 that could share thier PS3MS config files with me?

2. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

63 views and no replies....

Anything unclear, infringing on any rules?

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Not many do UPNP. People usually either watch the videos directly, or via HTPC and XBMC or Windows Media Center, which just reads the files using the standard SMB protocol (Windows Sharing). So if no one uses that specific device/software, then they hardly can help you.

4. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Not sure if this would be any use to you, but its how I stream 1080p HD MKV files and other recorded formats, including recorded and live TV:

Server running MythTV Master Backend.

Doesnt need to be high spec machine as it just records what the TV card is streaming, or presents whatever video files you have in the video section. I am sure you can run it without a TV card so long as you dont try and use the TV options on the frontend. :geek:

Frontend running MythTV Frontend

I use an Asus Aspire Revo R3700. With the nVidia Ion graphics it can cope with full 1080p so long as your streaming method can keep up; I use cat 5E cable and gigabit network.

For me it is mainly used as a TV recorder and I have a TBS6284 PCI-E DVB-T2 Quad TV Tuner Card in the server to allow me to record up to 8 DVB-T / DVB-T2 channels.

However it does have a video plugin which I can dump video files into a folder and it will present them to the frontend(s) on the network. I find it great as it will use metadata to go and fetch info and piccys of the film. :)

I can even stream over the internet to my iPad. Mind you I only have 1MB/s upload so its relatively low quality. Stroll on Infinity! :eyebrow:

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I've had success with twonky and mediatomb for upnp serving on ubuntu. Didnt have mkvs though

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Ubuntu server, plex media server, amahi just for chips and giggles. Plex shows up on the ps3 though as there is a plex client on my tv I haven't used the ps3 to access it. It works well with mkvs up to 7gb I haven't gone bigger yet as I can't rip blu ray discs until I get a blu ray drive. Obviously!

7. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

get a couple of raspberry pi's , install xbmc on them. done. cost £60.

8. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Have Serviio on a WHS box for Panasonic TV otherwise directly from WHS...

Last edited: 2 Sep 2012
  9. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Just out of curiosity, have you checked that the right profile is being selected in Serviio for the PS3?

10. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I'm currently using Rivet on Mac OS - It's free abandon ware which is sad because there's a fair few features I would like...

It does however do the job for streaming to my xbox and nexus 7 (using AnDLNA which is VERY basic but does the job enough... no thumbnails or play listing and I'm currently evaluating MediaHouse which has those features but it's just not 100% what I want)

I've also been using Plex and XBMC in the past, and I'm hoping to get a RasPI or two at some point soon for some XBMC action (especially since it supports Airplay too)

I must admit for ease of use and general sexyness, I've been enjoying Plex very much, especially the compatibility for dumb dlna devices like xbox. The menu implementation for that is quite something. Plugins are just disappointing to be honest (sound comes out of computer.. not tv.. ffmpeg issue) but otherwise it's nice I guess..

I am very much hoping to roll out some sort of tivo style automatic downloading server at some point soon... but HDDs are still a bit wallet rapey..

Teelzebub likes this.
  11. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I stream videos from my Synology NAS to my PS3. It won't play MKV files so I use Handbrake or Freemake to convert to an mp4 file type that is compatible with the PS3? Every video file is now in that format, but I also shrink file size to save space.

12. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

PC as NAS (running unraid) --> Atom Based PC (running XBMC) over a SMB share... Not really come across anything it won't play yet so for my setup it works well.