1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Mini Box --Update August 18--

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by murray, 29 Jun 2010.

1. murray

murray What's a Dremel?

I have decided to build a Mini ITX HTPC/Server. The goal was to build the smallest, quietest, and most energy efficient PC possible. I wanted it to look small and sleek, and I modeled it after the mac mini. There is space for a mini itx motherboard, a laptop HDD and a Pico-PSU or similar power supply. The motherboard will be mounted upside down.

I currently do not know what the hardware will be for this mod, as I have not bought any of it yet.

Here is the original sketchup model of the case:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started by cutting out four layers of MDF. I then laminated them together.

Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then started sanding them on the belt sander.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have more sanding to do. Then I need to start painting the case.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2010
  2. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

The one question that comes to mind is regarding having the MB mounted upside down. Won't this give you problems with cooling since any heatsinks won't be able to dissipate their heat? Simply put, since heat rises, where is the heat from the heatsinks going to go with the MB upside down?

3. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

i love the idea, what type of paint will you use? I'm guessing you want an aluminium type brushed effect like the mac-mini?

4. murray

murray What's a Dremel?

I plan on putting a small fan on the bottom of the case to pull heat out through the bottom. The case will be on small feet so I don't see too much of a problem.

I think I will go with a very high gloss black with a bit of pearl in it, but I am not sure yet. I was thinking of putting some led's under it. I think I will end up going with a blue and black theme.

5. domthecondom

domthecondom Noob Modder

well if the heat will be a problem just turn it upsite down ;)

6. murray

murray What's a Dremel?

I spent some more time on the case. I started by sanding the MDF some more.

[​IMG]

I then cut a bottom for it out of sheet metal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I drilled holes around the perimeter of the case and screwed it on.

[​IMG]

Soon I will be priming it and getting ready to temporarily paint it until I can use the spray booth at school in September.

What do you think so far?

7. bobisgod

bobisgod What's a Dremel?

I like the sleekness.

8. murray

murray What's a Dremel?

Update: Painting and Case Feet

Hello,

It has been a while since I have posted an update. Since my last update, I have temporarily painted the case black and made some feet to elevate the case off of the ground.

I started by cutting circles out of a sheet of 1/8" MDF. I then glued 4 sets of 4 pieces together with a bolt through the middle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then proceeded to sand them down on the drill press.

[​IMG]
    (after rough sanding)

[​IMG]
    (after finish sanding)

I then had four feet that were ready to install:
    [​IMG]

I also painted the case black. This paint job is only to give a general idea. I will do a much better job after school starts.

[​IMG]

This is what the case looks like assembled. I am not sure what color I will paint the feet. I was thinking I would paint them the same color as the rest of the case, but I might paint them silver.

[​IMG]

What do you think?

[​IMG]

9. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Crikey that's a littl'un! Nice size to it mate :)

I must say that i really think if you made those exact same feet but from solid wood of that size they would loo fine with a fine sanding or maybe a bit of varnish :)

If not then i'd say go with case colour.

10. groggycl

groggycl What's a Dremel?

Hey man, great work!!.

I really like and been following this topic for some time, any updates?

I did something similar with the same objectives (small, quiet and power saver), using L aluminum framing and acrilic, a zotac ion with external psu, 2 notebook hard drives underneath the motheboard and changed the stock fan for an 80 mm variable speed antec fan..

Really quiet and temperatures went from 60°C average to 29°C average, wich even with the error of the stock sensor is a great difference, and the noise reduction was even greater...

Just don't trust ion mobos can handle without fan...really hot and including hard drives, hell.

sorry for language mistakes, i'm from Chile, so spanish for me...

11. murray

murray What's a Dremel?

Thanks!

I am thinking I might do a blue "Candy Apple" color.

Thanks!
    I was thinking of using the ASUS AT3IONT-I Deluxe (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131635) with a low-power laptop HDD.

I plan on painting the case in two weeks when I can use the spray booth at school. I will post another update once I start painting.

Tags: