1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagacious fahmon website

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Sagacious, 7 Aug 2009.

1. Sagacious

Sagacious What's a Dremel?

I just launched a site for the feature of fahmon- www.fahweb.com. Its based on phpbb3 - when a member signs up, it creates an ftp account. I will be starting an ad campaign Monday to promote the site. You'll probably see a few of the ads here.

It currently has a simple list of usernames, folding names, and team numbers for the users. In the future, it will have a much more useful search function. Should be a good system to check your stats as well as teammates, and rivals too :D

2. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

I hope this does not mean that you are going to SPAM this (or any other, for that matter) forum with ads. ;)

Last edited: 7 Aug 2009
  3. Sagacious

Nope - advertising is expensive so you won't see too many ads. Due to the system of the site (with people sharing their link to stats) it will pretty much advertise for itself.

4. JackOfAll

Oh right, paid-for ads. I see.

I'm just trying to understand, so please forgive my bluntness.
    On the site you ask for 'sponsorship' and appear to offer advertising in lieu of $$$'s, but you are also willing to spend $$$'s to commercially advertise the site, one assumes in order to get people on it.
    The site is owned by a business, Sagacious Technologies. Is this Fahmon stats display fahmon.com "enterprise" not for profit, looking for sponsorship/advertising to cover the costs of running the site, or do you hope to make a profit from advertising on the site?

5. Sagacious

This is all personally funded - in time and advertising. I will thank Google for the ad voucher though.

The site is owned by my company but is really only to make it easier with taxes and such. Its run on a dedicated server due to the FTP system and will have a fair about of bandwidth (200MB/user per month just from FTP). There are 6 spots for community sponsors - and it is called that for a reason. They will cover the cost of the server, thats about it. 6*35 = $210 * .97 for paypal is $203.70 which it only a couple dollars above operating costs. If I wanted to make money off of the site I would look into using 3 Google Ads per page, but that is not the point of this site. Its intended to be a tool for others and will hopefully help to promote folding as well.

The reason for a short campaign for the start is fairly obvious - I have to get a site going before I can have any advertising on it. Theres no sense in letting it grow slowly when you paying for a server.

6. JackOfAll

Thank you. I appreciate the clarification. I may well be in a minority of one, but I don't like to see commercial interests trying to make $$$'s off the back of providing a service for a not for profit community, certainly not without stating their intentions openly and in advance. So your statement of intent is welcome.

7. Sagacious

Yes, I understand that completely. A great example of that is EVGA.

In the future, I will look to see if I can get a datacenter to sponsor the site - in which case we would no longer need 'community sponsors'.

Feel free to suggest the site in the OP.

8. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

as interesting as that site is.
    your kinda spaming my guide
    can you make another topic for this?

thanks

9. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Good point, damn spam adverts (and yes the advert is spamming)