1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Help - cannot access web pages. Can ping. Weird!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Cleggmeister, 25 Jan 2013.

1. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Ola!

I'm usually pretty good at these things but my father's new laptop has me stumped.

It's an Asus hence came full of bloatware. I've removed all the junk and wanted to check access to the web. Opening google pages is fine, and a search in google gives me results as I'd expect.

But, if I click on any results or try and type any other URL it just times out. Cannot download a new Chrome version either - just sits on "waiting to download good chrome" (my version is quite old).

I can ping dns address, I've set the DNS server address automatically and manually to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. What am I missing?!?!

Cleggy

Oh, same with Windows firewall disabled, and no other AV/firewall is running

2. cdb

cdb No comment

Has this started as soon as you've removed the bloatwear? If so, then I guess you've removed something that was needed. Would a system restore put it back to normal? Or if it comes with a factory reset option, that's assuming it's relatively new and you won't lose any data.

Have you checked the device manager for the network devices?

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

The first thing I would do is try restoring back to before you took off all the junk, it could be that you have deleted some thing that is tied in with your settings that need to still be there. If it works after doing this delete all the junk one program at a time and test the connection each time until you find out what you deleted that messed things up.
    Either that or back up everything and do a fresh install.

EDIT: Bloody ninja's...lol

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Sounds to me a DNS issue.
    They are 2 places you can set DNS settings, on your router (but that will affect all computers), or in Windows Network settings.

Check in Windows to make sure it is set to acquire DNS settings automatically:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15037-dns-addressing-how-change-windows-7-a.html
    Instructions (but those are to set to Google DNS server, you want to select "Obtain DNS server address automatically", instead of entering Googles public DNS server address.

5. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Might be some funky proxy. Also check your hosts file (located in x:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc), last three lines should be as follows.

Code:
    # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    #	127.0.0.1       localhost
    #	::1             localhost

6. Cleggmeister

Cheers folks.

I think I'm on the right track. It can load web pages fine over ethernet, just not wireless. I deleted the wireless card and reinstalled. Inssider now seeing lots of wifis. Windows now downloading 85 updates, once done I'll reboot it and get him to try reconnecting.

What a palaver!

7. Cleggmeister

Meant to add, I'd checked DNS settings and had no joy with any configuration, either auto or manual. But since I've discovered it was only a wireless issue I have my fingers crossed that deleting and reinstalling the wifi nic will help. I even did a netsh winsock reset, which usually fixes everything. Wish me luck... :)

8. Cleggmeister

Still no joy over wireless. I can get Google.co.uk and successfully obtain search results, but clicking any link or typing any other url into Chrome/IE doesnt bring up a page.

I've flushed DNS, ran CCleaner. This is doing my box!!! :(

Its as if I'm only allowed to view Google pages...

Last edited: 26 Jan 2013
  9. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Did you uninstall asus icontrol network?

If you did so without clearing its settings it would explain your network issues.

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

10. Cleggmeister

I guess I did - in fact I just uninstalled all the Asus stuff as I'd prefer Windows to take care of itself, however I guess I've killed something!

Any thoughts on how to recover it Aramil?

Many thanks in advance.

Cleggy,

11. Cleggmeister

Just a last ditch bump before I take the nuclear option and reset the thing to the day it was born...

Symptoms are as follows.

Full connectivity, i.e. no problems at all when wired to router
    Unable to browse all web pages except google hosted ones (google images, maps, gmail, etc...) when connected wirelessly. Additionally things like Windows Update don't work wirelessly - seemingly because the update server cannot be contacted.
    That said, I can still teamviewer onto this laptop when it is wireless and make it ping google.co.uk, bbc.co.uk, etc, etc... It will send and receive email wirelessly. As I say, it's just non-google webpages...

To date I have...

Flushed the DNS cache
    Reset the winsock
    Changed the DNS servers a couple of times, including googles and some other random ones. I've also used automatic settings.
    Removed and reinstalled the wireless adapter and it's driver in device manager.
    Removed all antivirus and firewall
    Disabled the inbuilt router firewall

And still no joy. The laptop is brand new though I did remove shedloads of ASUS bloatware, though seemingly not iControl Network as this wasn't installed on the machine in the first place.

Please, if you can think of anything else I should do, post here as otherwise I'll need to do an ASUS default thingy hence have wasted a day or two...

Many thanks,

Cleggy.

12. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

After a certain mistake I made recently, are you sure when your on wireless there are no ip conflicts on the network?

13. Cleggmeister

Not to my knowledge - the wireless card shows as connected under ipconfig /all in the normal way and has a DHCP assigned address.

14. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder

Cleggmeister likes this.
  15. Cleggmeister

OK, fixed, and credit + uberrep to T2I3M for that link.
    However, since I applied two "fixes" at once I'm not sure which one worked :)

I replaced the hosts file with the normal one using Microsoft fixit

And I changed the SSID, wireless channel and went from WPA2-PSK to WEP encryption on a different wireless channel. The old man is now happily browsing away to his hearts content.

Woohoo!!!

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Excellent news!

17. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder

Nice one