1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News QNAP TS-210 Turbo NAS Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Nov 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Fractal

Fractal I Think Therefore I Mod

Yawn... Wake me up when off-the shelf NAS boxes either maximise Gigabit bandwidth or are cheap enough to justify the slow speed.

3. srmans

srmans What's a Dremel?

Agreed, they could be cheaper but then don't forget they offer other advantages some of us need i.e. easy of setup and low power consumption.

Bit-tech, any chance you could update your performance charts in this review or future storage reviews to show baselines Win7PC-2-Win7PC transfers, or Linux for that matter on similar storage (green drives) and network (1GbE) hardware? This would allow us to view NAS storage performance in the context that most of us are familiar with i.e. peer to peer Windows shares. The added context would be very helpful, you could use two "Affordable" build machines perhaps....

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I don't see why not - will try to get the numbers in the next week or two using our test gear!

5. GW42

GW42 What's a Dremel?

certainly doesn't meet the first criteria, but you can get the netgear stora for £50 for a (empty) 2 drive NAS. Top speed is only about 20MB/s on large sequential files, but the speeds are at least above the truly bottom of the barrel "gigabit" equipped NAS's that can't even max out a 100Mbit connection.

The Stora isn't fast, but it is low power and it is cheap (which is reflected in it's software....) I had been holding out on NAS's as I always thought they were overpriced for what they were - £50 got me the functionality of a NAS without thinking I'd have been better to build myself a low power pc.

6. jimbok11

jimbok11 What's a Dremel?

quick one - not sure if it's mentioned in the review (and I just missed it), but I'm assuming that drive spindown is present?

reason I ask is because I've read on other sites that a lot of the cheaper NAS boxes don't really offer it...

7. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

So would bit-tech get this or the DS210+?

8. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Given that the DS210+ got a recommended award I'd say the answer to that question is pretty clear, even if this is half the price.

9. 1-0-1

1-0-1 Nothing interesting to put here.

Was this not tested with iSCSI and maybe also with different Jumbo frame types? Jumbo frames will most properly not used as a plug and play option for most users and the lack to adjust MTU sizes on unmanaged switches is also not helping here. Eitherway it would be cool to see the difference what iSCSI/Jumbo Frames does to the performance of this unit.

Tags: Add Tags