1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

260 GTX throwing constant errors

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Ph4ZeD, 2 Mar 2010.

1. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

My 260 GTX has worked fine for over a year, and has been making a great folding contribution to my folding points. Today however, from the second it started, it has been posting Guarded Run errors, and posting UNSTABLE_MACHINE errors too. This is the second it tries to begin the project, ie. it doesn't make any progress at all on the work unit. This is pretty frustrating as its a significant part of my daily points :(

2. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Best to try the normal fixes below first mate, what OS you running and is the 260 overclocked? :

1. Un-install Nvidia Driver and use a driver cleaning tool (loads of free ones about) in safe mode to remove all traces of old drivers and then download the latest driver
    2. Download & run FURMARK in stress test mode, give it the highest res and xAA you can, look out for pixelations, lines or any artefacts really
    3. Fully update windows
    4. Uninstall F@H GPU2 client and then re-install
    5. Try folding again

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Just reinstalled the client, and it seems to be working fine. I was gaming on the card this morning with no issue so I didn't think it was a hardware issue.

4. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Glad to hear you're up and running again. FWIW, it's often said that FAH stresses the GPU hardware more than gaming does, and it is possible to have "border-line" cards.

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Thanks Chris - I just got back from work and its been happily folding all day so I can only assume that its happy now. On the plus note, I got another 9600 GSO to add to my folding efforts!

6. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

the GT200 based cards (260-295 <> 200-250 are gt92 based) from what i have found do not like the power been removed when they are under load (my GTX280 died from that but it was about 7-10 times before it would no longer work)

my 9800GX2 cards are rock solid thought i get no EUE on them at all even when i was not careing to much about temps for about an month i had them running at 100c for quite some time (thought they do Thermally throttle down 50% at 106c until they get back to 101c)