1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Epic promises Unreal Engine 4 this year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 13 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Spuzzell

Spuzzell What's a Dremel?

So, to summarize:

Unreal Engine 4 will be much too intensive for the next gen of consoles to run fully

But won't run on the PC.

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Never seen that video before...looks a lot like syndicate though! interesting eh?

4. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I seem to remember the Samritan tech demo running on 3 GTX 580?

5. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

The 580 is rated at 1.6Tflops while the Radeon 7970 is rated at 3.8Tflops. If/when they release this for PC it could be quite some benchmark.

Also never looked at the flops for AMD/NVIDIA. Interesting to see the differences while they are so close in terms of real world gaming performance.

6. bowman

bowman Minimodder

**** consoles. How about giving us a reason to buy all these new graphics cards?

Epic is so console-biased it makes me puke.

7. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It will be a sad day for PC gaming if they really do skip the PC.

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Simply stating they've developed an engine that requires masses of hardware power to run properly isn't even close to being something they should be boasting about.

It's the equivalent of Pixar turning around and saying "the engine we used in Wall-E requires a console at least 1,000 times more powerful than the 360, therefore it must be the best games engine EVER!"

Plus, for all we know, the engine could look like horse-dung. Any game dev could wheel out an engine that looks fantastic but is hugely inefficient (e.g. Crytech 2), the skill is creating one that looks amazing but doesn't require a ridiculous leap in hardware power.

I'm not saying UE4 will look awful or be unoptimized (it probably won't), it's just that Sweeney's comments in isolation are pointless.

9. Deders

Deders Modder

I could be wrong but i seem to remember 3 570's, either way not many people will have that setup and if the rumours are true the next Xbox won't have anything like that power.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

spot on. Epic at their best: being an ass-hat.

Epic, do you know what is currently 10 times faster than a console? high-end PC's, you know, you could release the engine now, instead of waiting for proprietary consoles. for all you know, Microsoft next gen console could be focused on motion control.

11. Bobfoc

Bobfoc What's a Dremel?

Comments from people like Tim Sweeney are reasons why I am not upgrading my current gaming rig.

If there isn't going to be any software to really push my PC to the limits.... what need is there for me to spend money on ever faster CPUs and GPUs???

From those that love to benchmark, upgrading to the latest greatest spec is a must. BUT, for the majority of us who love to game using our PC's, being able to play Crysis 2 at 120fps is the same as 30fps (added 5fps as a cushion =P).

Come on guys, start giving us some games that make us PC gamers want to spend our hard earned £££????

12. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Did you even read the article?

13. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I had to wipe a little bit of dribble up after I was done reading. The unreal engine always delivers the goods and it will be nice to look forward to a engine that's going to beat consoles into submission. I'd be even happier if they were releasing UT2k12/13 with it! :p

14. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

If by interesting you mean a possible indication of terrible driver optimisation, then sure...very interesting lol.

OT: Epic were banging on about the need for next gen hardware as far back as 3 years ago. Why they still are now I'm not sure. Given that by the looks of things, the Xbox 720 is going to be middle ground, just like the 360 was.

To summarise they're basically saying they've been working on an engine they might not be able to flaunt, and the platform they probably will be able to flaunt it on, they don't want to.

:duh: Jesus

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

exactly what i was thinking. one of the things i liked about the unreal engines is they packed so many features and were so compatible yet they performed great on even the worst hardware. a well-developed game is one that looks great and has many nice features while being able to run smooth on mediocre hardware (such as xbox 360). i don't know how nice ue4 will look but it can't be too much better than graphics available now - many games (on pc anyway) are getting very close to looking life-like.

16. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Its the constant battle to keep up that pushed me away from PC Games and its reason why the platform is so poorly supported now.

17. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I want a new unreal game :( Unreal 4 please. do it, DO IT NOW

18. runbmp

runbmp What's a Dremel?

I've noticed more and more that indie titles and molders are taking up the challenge to bring high quality content to the PC.

Skirim with its UI and hi res texture mods, Hard Reset which looks and plays great, The Witcher 2.

These are the true pioneers who are pushing the industry and technology and on many occasions, they do a better job than those who spend millions upon millions to market essentially the same game and same engine.

19. John_T

John_T Minimodder

That is precisely why consoles became so popular: The majority of people got fed up with spending £1,000+ on a gaming PC, only for it to feel outdated and incapable in as little as 18 months later. Sure, people like us in here are happy to tinker with our machines, to buy new components and swap and upgrade bits as we go, but we're in the minority - most people are still uncomfortable taking their expensive machines apart for fear of not being able to get them working again.

Consoles took away that problem, took away that stress and took away that extra expense. I don't use them myself, but I don't see why people get so outraged by people that do like them.

Anyway, I thought that demo looked great, even if most other people thought it was pointless.

20. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

"According to Sweeney, Microsoft's Xbox 360 console pushes around 0.25 teraflops."

Hmm, E3 2005 where the 360 made its debut, Microsoft claimed the 360 had more than 1 Teraflop of combined processing power, and Sony said the PS3 had 2 Teraflops.

I have the copy of EDGE magazine with photo's of the presentation slides claiming as such.

Yet in 2012, Sweeney says in reality the 360 has only one quarter the power....

Pfft...

Tags: Add Tags