1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Unit-System! Updated into HTPC GD07 Silverstone

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by exexs, 23 Mar 2012.

1. exexs

exexs What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

This is my FIRST try with modding! I welcome any comment and tips, feel free :)

Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do :D

Some sleeving:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For guys (like me) who are happy to save a few bucks, here is how you do:

[​IMG]
    2 clips, a screwdriver and.. done :D

I don't know what is your point of view, but, I think they look as great as Dominator (and cheaper at same stats). Here is my Crucial Elite 8GB 1866Mhz CL9 1.5V :

[​IMG]

I'll be using a Lian-Li PC-9F case, not used in a lot in modd, so I hope it is gonna be a little bit different =D

Last edited: 24 Aug 2015
  2. exexs

exexs What's a Dremel?

Some changes

Some stuff I'll be using in my case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here, I removed the stickers from the fan. At first I wanted to do my own stickers but I think I'll go "naked", they look just great I think :blush:
    Also removed the MSI logo from motherboard!

[​IMG]
    LEFT: BEFORE .... RIGHT: AFTER

:D

Last edited: 31 Mar 2012
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Remember that the sticker is there not just to advertise the manufacturer, but also to keep dust/lint/assorted crud out of the fan motor.

4. Metrodusa

Metrodusa What's a Dremel?

One can always make custom ones, if desired. But I leave them on all the time. Making circles without CNC of some kind is a pain in bodily parts.

5. RealWeaponX

RealWeaponX What's a Dremel?

IanW has a point. If you like the look you should at least put some clear acetate over the area to protect it.

6. exexs

exexs What's a Dremel?

Yeah I keep it in mind! But the stickers in the front side are not protecting anything, and I should have told you that the ones on the other side are still there, because there will be no possible angle to see them as the fans are mounted in the radiator (push). :rock:

Yeah I tried indeed to make some "stickers" myself, by cutting an aluminium sheet of 1mm but wasn't that easy to get perfect circles. I'll try again to remplace the back stickers even if nobody will see them (but me, I know they are there) :naughty:

7. exexs

exexs What's a Dremel?

Hey guys!
    A little update, in fact this is a cover for my GPU I made few weeks ago, but I'll share it with you as you'll see it in the next updates...

This is aluminium 1mm, that i cut sanded.
    [​IMG]

Here the cover is in :) I painted it in black. I also used some rubber between the aluminium and the graphic card to be safe xD
    [​IMG]

(you can notice back then I was using a corsair H50 but now I am using watercooling to the the circuit and stuff)

8. exexs

exexs What's a Dremel?

the "hdd" issue

Hi guys!
    Ok, there is not so much place in my case (PC-9F middle tower), so I was brainstorming about the place where I can put my HDD (other drives are SSD so it is not so much an issue)..

Do you remember Hideo Kojima and his "no place to hide" ?
    If you are a fan of Metal Gear Solid (as me), you sure remember...

So I said to myself... If there is no place to hide my hdd, why not put it where everyone can see it? :D

[​IMG]

:thumb:

Now, I have to polish my HDD and do my own stickers and maybe paint-it too.. let's get to work :dremel:

9. Leena

Leena What's a Dremel?

In my opinion the stickers are kinda useless, there is no much dust coming from behind the fan.

Anyway your idea for the hdd is great, keep going !

10. exexs

exexs What's a Dremel?

Hi guys!
    BIG UPDATE today, my NEW CASE ARRIVED

[​IMG]

What do you think? Am I a amazing modder or what?! :D

Ok I explain: I am modding my 24/7 config so this is really hard to switch it off to modd, so I decided to put my computer in a box in order to be free to modd my Lian-Li case. I'll start cutting it soon! :)

11. exexs

exexs What's a Dremel?

Hi there!

As you can see, painting is in progress!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm painting with spray paint, and it needs some layers before it looks good...

PS: If you have some advices for painting, i'm here :)

Last edited: 19 Jul 2012
  12. exexs

exexs What's a Dremel?

big update :thumb:

The painting is done! I'm quite happy with the results! What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided not to paint the motherboard tray, because the motherboard itself is black, so it would have been difficult to see "her", and has "she" is one of the major component in the case, would have been a pity!

Feel free to comment! This is my first "worklog", I don't have a lot of experience and any comment is welcome! :clap:

13. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Cant realy see the results of paint due to 1 poor lighting / poor camera quality / High grain in pictures

14. exexs

exexs What's a Dremel?

My apologizes, I only have a iPhone 4S for pictures for now, so I do my best with what I have :(

Ok, not an update but a question for you guys, I need some help :duh:

I would like to put my GPU under water, so here my question:

Will it be possible to have decent temp for my i7 860 (small oc from 2.8Ghz to 3Ghz) + GTX660 Ti?? I'll be using a 360rad (XSPC RX360, the thick one) and 3 Noiseblocker S2

If not, what are my options? thinner rad with push/pull fans (so 6 in total) will give my better temp?

As a "bonus", here is where I'll put my HDD (hope my sketchup is right, because there is no much room in this case!!)

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot for your answers and comments, it always motivates me :clap:

Last edited: 29 Nov 2012
  15. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

you can even cool the gpu and cpu with that Dual rad :)

And always put RES-PUMP-everything else! never put a component between reservoir and the pump, your pump can run dry then and can break :)

16. exexs

exexs What's a Dremel?

To be honest I didn't know that :blush: How comes? I mean, there is water in the radiator too? Little bubbles can affect the life of my pump?

Anyway, I changed my mind a little bit about my integration, and the new sketch is taking your advice into account! (not in purpose as I did the sketch before your comment but shh it's a secret :D)

[​IMG]

The only think I am not happy with is having the res just in front of the fans. I'll maybe change it ^^

Last edited: 20 Aug 2015
  17. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Yes, Air in your loop is bad.

18. exexs

exexs What's a Dremel?

hi guys! I'm working on a cover for my new gpu (pictures soon), but I have a question here: can I make a gpu cover with 3mm acrylic? I'll then painted it in black with temp-proof painting.
    My concern here is about the heat? Can it damage my acrylic cover? (melt or something) Also, you have to know that my gpu is a GTX660 (moderate power ^^) Thanks for your tips on that one! :clap:

19. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Nope, long as you play it safe. if the graphics/gpu are running nice and cool, which they should on water or a nice, good air cooler, then you should be a-ok. good luck, and make it look good! :thumb: :dremel:
    if the gpu is below 30 that means that the back of it is only a little warm to the touch. on a good WC, with MORE than just a 240, you'll be fine even for a high load. but if you aint gaming much a plain 240 is safe, just don't run many gpu-intensive applications like i do.

20. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

im not doubting you here, but how would that make your pump run dry? ts actually about the placement of the pump in terms of above or below the res if im not mistaken. as long as theres water in it your good to go, after that? your right but not quite specific and general info always seems to confuse me in the weirdest, most backwards kind of way.:confused: my mind works really weirdly...