1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Start up woes, maximum CPU fan speed + no POST.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EvilMerc, 28 Feb 2010.

1. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I was wondering if anybody has any fixes for this problem; basically I turn the PC on at the wall then press the Power button, almost all times I do this it maxes out the CPU fan and refuses to boot at all. The only way to stop this is to turn the switch off on the PSU then back on again and it usually then boots (though this can often take around 3 or 4 attempts).

With my old case (ThermalTake Soprano) there was a case speaker, for some strange reason there isn't one on the Antec 900, and after a few seconds of the fan going crazy it let out a long single beep.

I'll also mention that pressing the reset button does nothing to solve the issue, merely slows the fan for a second.

I thought it was originally down to a dodgy PSU (ThermalTake 500W before) so I replaced it with the Corsair I currently have, the old PSU was getting rather warm during games too.

My thoughts now are that it could be the motherboard after all that's what directs power to the CPU fan?

Any help would be welcome guys :)
    Thanks.

2. Mitcian

Mitcian What's a Dremel?

I imagine there are a number of issues that could be causing this, but a bit more information would be useful.

1) have you overclocked the CPU recently?
    if so, try resetting the CMOS, there is usualy a jumper directly on the motherboard which you just move over for a few seconds and replace to original position. This can undo any bad power settings and reset the BIOS to default

2)have you removed the CPU heatsink recently? If so did you remove and reapply some thermal grease, it could be that the CPU is simply overheating due to improper heatsink application.

3) What motherboard are you using - the BIOS beep you mentioned is often a good indicator of and problems, you can cross reference the beep you heard with a list that should be in the MOBO manual and help you identify what the specific issue is.

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

1. Not recently, no, I have done so in the past though, but not by BIOS though, I just tried out AMD OverDrive but I didn't need the extra performance.
    2. Nope, it's been on since I installed the CPU, I personally don't think the CPU's the culprit, it never spins up anywhere near full even at full load.
    3. It's a Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3, I looked in the manual and apparently a long, continuous beep means the graphics card isn't in properly. I think I'll pull it out and blow out any dust that might be doing something to it...

Cheers man.

4. Mitcian

Mitcian What's a Dremel?

Best to use a compressed air can - but if you use the old fashioned mouth and lungs - try not to get any spit on it :):)

5. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Well, I pull out the graphics card, blew at the slot and on the contacts on the card itself, put it back in and it seemed to work. I'll have to see if this lasts as it could just be playing ball as it sometimes does. If it does last, thank you very much :)

Out of interest, has anyone else had this problem?

6. Mitcian

Mitcian What's a Dremel?

no problems, hope its all sorted.

7. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

Yes happened to me a couple of times when moving the PC about from house to house. The graphics card becomes slightly dislodged and on boot obviously not all contacts are made. A quick removal, clean and re-seat usually cures the problem, as in your case!

One continuous tone on POST is normally associated with graphics problems....

8. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

It did it again this morning *cry* booted fine later on though...twice actually.
    Might try getting me some canned air to see if it does better than me blowing feebly at the PCI-E slot..

9. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

You will need to check with your mainboard's manual for beep codes, there is no industry standard and it can vary widely.
    You only get video after PCI has been enumerated. The BIOS will first check the CPU and load microcode, discover and size the system memory, then do PCI enumeration (which is a very involved process). After that, it will bring up video. One long beep make me wonder about a CPU or memory problem, but that is just me.

If you have a way to check POST codes, that might help too.