1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Gaming 35 – MW3 vs BF3 vs Skyrim

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 19 Nov 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

Clive, Joe and Harry gather to discuss whether Battlefield 3 or Modern Warfare 3 is the better game. Harry even produces actual facts to support his arguments, but it’s all pointless because everyone knows Skyrim is the best game at the moment.

During the discussion, we also talk about whether singleplayer mode is effectively dead with modern FPS games, and whether CoD should be seen more as yearly sports title, such as FIFA or Football Manager...

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/podcasts/2011/11/19/gaming-35-mw3-vs-bf3-vs-skyrim/

2. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

You said that BF3 is a remastered BF2. This is the same case for MW3. Its an updated version of MW2, with all the stuff we hated from MW2 removed and extra features added. Yes the gameplay is much the same as MW2, but I really enjoyed how that game played. I'm not that bothered that it's "MW2.5" because that's what I wanted :)

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

From my brief experience of Skyrim, the interface this feel a bit console like. It's not that it's bad, to be honest, it's probably the best interface that I've ever thought felt a bit like a console menu, but I could still feel it. Maybe when I get back to playing it, I'll get used to it and I'll like it. The only thing I found I kept doing was hitting escape to exit the inventory system, and it bringing up the main menu. Forgetting I had to hit tab to close the inventory etc.

From what I know, you can also assign spells etc to number keys, but I was sticking to using the Q menu.

4. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Can I be the first to suggest the Skyrim soundtrack as a podcast prize in future, just as much as the game itself - I got it with a discount so only cost me £13, but since it's around £25 normally due to postage and currency conversion, that would be a cool competition to enter.

5. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

I've been waiting so long for this.

6. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I have only played BF3 and I'm loving it to the point that I have not touched any other games. I haven't played Skyrim yet, but I'm looking forward to it when I do and as for MW3 I'll probably not go anywhere near it for a while.

7. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

"we do know that Skyrim is an excellent game with an excellent interface and menu system (well, Clive thinks so, anyway). With a mouse’s scroll wheel it’s easy to be quick and accurate, making Skyrim a joy to play on PC."

I'm sorry...are we playing the same game? The menus are hideous....no sorting....too much scrolling....disparity between mouse and keyboard selection...inconsistent use of keys for actions....prompts to use the wrong keys for actions....a levelling up skill tree that's a nightmare to navigate....the list goes on and on.

Yes, the game is good...but holy cow....the menus are an abortion.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I found the leveling up skill tree not too bad, reminds me of the research menu in Sword of the Stars. Maybe I'm just more used to it from that though....

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have had BF 3 on my PC since it came out and I have been unable to get into it at all, so far I have found it particularly boring, nothing new all been done before. It was much the same as MOD and Black Ops,same same same. I am hoping that the new Serious Sam will bring a bit of gaming enjoyment back in to my life.

10. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

BF3 is my first multiplayer fps experience so I don't have the feeling of "been there, done that."

11. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I only play single player on fps games, i have played MP and it can be fun but i just prefer a story to play through. I'll get MW3 on a steam sale, don't know about the others yet, doubt i'll get skyrim as i didn't really like Oblivion unless i get given it to try first.

12. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

"Not too bad" isn't "excellent", though, which is what the BT guys are saying...

Check this out:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50787/Misc/skyriminterface.jpg

Not taking credit for it, though...it ain't my work...but it is completely true.

13. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Good luck with that. BLOPS was still around £30 during the most recent sale. The COD games don't get discounted much. Thieving *******s that Activision are.

14. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

If not in a steam sale I'll get a retail copy in a sale, got BLOPS for about £20 a few months ago from Game, then shortly after it went back up to 40 quid.

15. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Seems like you are only talking about the multiplayer aspect when it comes to BF3 and MW3, but Skyrim is singleplayer.

Both BF3 and MW3 has a very scripted and linear campaign, yet MW3 pulled off the trick of making it seem more like I had a choice and it was also more entertaining. MW3 had that fun action flic style to it while BF3 was trying to be serious and instead got boring.

16. Canon

Canon Reformed

Both MW3 and BF3 are disposable games, those that get dragged into the multiplayer for point scoring are as bad as the people that send me ****ing farmville requests day in day out

As for the singleplayer campaigns, Angry Birds has more plot.

17. CanItRunSoldat?

CanItRunSoldat? What's a Dremel?

Skyrim number binding: Just open your favorites menu, mouse over the item you want to bind and press the number you want to bind it to. Bam.

The menu system DOES have some sorting, which so far has never left me wanting. The only part of the interface(ish) that frustrates me is that you cannot compare items you are crafting to the items you currently have equipped (afaik)

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Yeah, but you must have money to burn if you bought it on release, the pricing of it is hilarious.

19. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I respectfully completely disagree sir. £40 is absolutely nothing for a game that I will spend probably 500+ hours on over the next year. MW3 is a multiplayer game - the 4-6 hour singleplayer tripe is practice for the people who can't play the multiplayer.

If you base your judgement on its singleplayer campaign, your misunderstanding what Call of Duty is about (same applies to BF which should also solely be judged as a multiplayer experience). Thats what sells the copies and thats what people care about in the game. Just go on youtube under the gaming category and a good deal of it is cod multiplayer gameplay, people have no interest in the singleplayer which is the biggest pile of scripted setpiece twaddle you can buy.

Go online and the experience completely changes as long as you know what your doing and play in parties. If you jump on it with randoms and dont use a headset, dont learn the spawnpoints, dont know the maps, dont know which perks, attachments, killstreaks to use etc etc, then you will think its one big sh1tfest and cant understand why people would enjoy it, but if you know what you are doing it is one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you can have in a modern FPS.

20. Canon

Canon Reformed

500+ hours on a MW game? Really? Wouldn't you be happier taking up a drug habit or something?

Tags: Add Tags